30 Gallon Build

anmlvrj

I have fallen hard for the hobby. So I'm going to list all my thoughts and questions here. All input welcome:

So my 30 gallon build is progressing. I still haven't decided whether to change it to live plants, right now it has fake but heavily planted. I keep researching live plants but I don't believe I know enough to invest in turning 90% of my sand floor over to live plants. Any thoughts on starting this process for a beginner is welcome. My current list of occupants is:
2 Bolivian Rams (just recently purchased, think I have a pair but too early to tell)
3 Serpae Tetras
2 Kuli Loaches
1 double red female apistogramma agassizzi
1 male Platy

I have 2 other tanks and want to move some fish around. Couple questions?
  • Golden Wonder Killifish in with the above mix, will they get along?
  • I will be breeding Killifish so have a separate 10 gallon set for fry to sell to LFS but want to be able to put the parents somewhere with more space when not breeding.
  • 4 long fin danios, they are fairly small and in my other tank right now (hard to catch those little buggers) I'd like to move them to the 30 gallon, will they get along with the above list?
  • Will be breeding purple dragon guppies (proven pair on order). Plan on having a 10 gallon for fry but wondering if I can split the pair up to separate tanks when not breeding so I'm not overrun until I find out how much my LFS will take. Will this mess with the breeding (from what I know of guppies it won't but looking for info
I'm purchasing a used 55 gallon tomorrow so my angel fish have somewhere to move to from my current tank as they grow older. Looking to possibly purchase a pair of Fire Mouth Cichlids for that tank, will the angels and Fire Mouth work together?

Thanks for all thoughts and comments in advance.

carsonsgjs

If you want to try live plants but don’t want to actually plant them why not try plants you can attach to wood and rocks instead? Plants like java fern, java moss, anubias, bolbitis and bucephalandra are all beginner-friendly and don’t require any special attention to keep them going. Just attach them with string, glue or little elastic bands until their roots take hold.

anmlvrj

If you want to try live plants but don’t want to actually plant them why not try plants you can attach to wood and rocks instead? Plants like java fern, java moss, anubias, bolbitis and bucephalandra are all beginner-friendly and don’t require any special attention to keep them going. Just attach them with string, glue or little elastic bands until their roots take hold.
Thank you, wasn't sure how attached plantings actually worked, so that is great news. How many do I have to put in attached to items to compare to surface substrate area to make the tank work less. From what I understand heavily planted helps break down fish waste, minimizes algea and plant death (of course based on lighting and root tabs).

Also, is there any articles or websites you can suggest for setting up attached plants?

Chalupacabra

Another great route to go with live plants are bulb plants.

Things like Dwarf Water Lily and Tiger Lotus can create incredible leafy effects, and plants like the various types of Aponogeton, Banana Plants, and Crinum make for incredible background alternatives to Java Fern and Swords.

They couldn’t be easier to “plant”. Take the bulb and put it in the tank where you want it to root on top of the sand/gravel. You can push it in a little, but don’t bury the bulb.

Like a tiny factory, the bulb will send roots into the substrate and produce a number of plants before floating up. You can either try to rejuvenate the spent bulb or dispose of it.

Once you have a few of these established, it’s easier to be bold with plants that have runners roots, or rhizomes to root!

anmlvrj

Another great route to go with live plants are bulb plants.

Things like Dwarf Water Lily and Tiger Lotus can create incredible leafy effects, and plants like the various types of Aponogeton, Banana Plants, and Crinum make for incredible background alternatives to Java Fern and Swords.

They couldn’t be easier to “plant”. Take the bulb and put it in the tank where you want it to root on top of the sand/gravel. You can push it in a little, but don’t bury the bulb.

Like a tiny factory, the bulb will send roots into the substrate and produce a number of plants before floating up. You can either try to rejuvenate the spent bulb or dispose of it.

Once you have a few of these established, it’s easier to be bold with plants that have runners roots, or rhizomes to root!
Do you use Root tabs with these and what type of lighting is required for them to prosper?

sairving

Do you use Root tabs with these and what type of lighting is required for them to prosper?

If your substrate is not nutrient-rich, bulb plants will need a few root tabs. I have a dwarf aquarium lily and an aponogeton. About once every month or two, I add root tabs. Dwarf aquarium lilies and Tiger lotus will need medium to high light.

Chalupacabra

I’ve never used root tabs or worried about light, and mine look nice, but that doesn’t mean I’m not doing it wrong.

sairving

I’ve never used toot tabs or worried about light, and mine look nice, but that doesn’t mean I’m not doing it wrong.

I think different things just work for different people. My tank is in a north facing room. It doesn't get a ton of natural light (only in summer). A light on the tank is a necessity. Plus, during the winter it's dark by 5 pm and cloudy a lot.

ruud

Start with java fern. Create a hardscape structure and just stick the fern in the structure; no need to tie or glue. They do very well in the shades. I love bucephalandra as well; but most varieties are tiny. With java fern you can transform your tank quickly to a planted tank. No need for CO2, tabs or ferts.

anmlvrj

Start with java fern. Create a hardscape structure and just stick the fern in the structure; no need to tie or glue. They do very well in the shades. I love bucephalandra as well; but most varieties are tiny. With java fern you can transform your tank quickly to a planted tank. No need for CO2, tabs or ferts.
I picked up root tabs just incase. I have several plants on order coming this weekend. I am planting into my 30 gallon, into sand, and it should all but cover the bottom. I am hoping from what I read that it is enough plants to work off waste and clean the water.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Question
Replies
Views
RandomFishBoi
  • Question