30 Gallon Build | Page 6

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by JRS, Apr 7, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    JRS

JRSWell Known MemberMember

Thank you guys so much! I was hoping but was hoping it wasn't wishful thinking.

2. OP
    OP
    JRS

So the orange fishes tail is healing. Now one of the yellow fish has a bit missing from his top fin. I have to assume someone nipped it. I was planning on keeping them in the QT for another week. Should I do that? Am I endangering the fish? Should I leave them in QT but put some fake plants in to give them more places to hide?

3. Punkin

PunkinWell Known MemberMember

4. OP
    OP
    JRS

Yes that is the type they are. I am hoping when the go into the main tank with the other three that they will not be as nippy. They are a little nippy but only in short bursts. I think if I put more plants in that may help. I just got home so I may go look in my box of unused decor and see if I have something that will work.

5. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

They are so pretty @JRS. I'm sorry you're going through this confusion but it's great to see some signs of improvement. I think you're doing great!

In my QT I have plastic plants and 2 small terra cotta pots, openings facing opposite directions. I've only ever had one fish at a time in there but there are plenty of hiding spaces. It's also bare bottom so I threw a few large river stones in the prevent the pots from rolling around. I'm pretty sure I could sterilize those pots if need be, but they were very cheap and I wouldn't mind replacing them if I thought it necessary. You know I'm not a pro, just wanted to share my thoughts. :)

6. OP
    OP
    JRS

I appreciate it. It is just nice to know there are people out there to bounce ideas off of. I know these guys can be a little nippy, but they don't seem too bad. They are probably stressed in a little 5G with very little for decor and only three of a schooling species. I guess it makes sense they are being nippy.

Thank you! Also, I am so glad your two are doing better. I hope it continues.

7. OP
    OP
    JRS

20170606_131256.jpg

I guess they each picked which "room" they wanted! After they settled out with the new "plants", I found them each in their own zone. Thought it was kinda funny. Not my favorite plants, but for the week or so that I want to keep them in QT they will do.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  8. Punkin

I think it looks really cute. Fish are funny. When mine were in the qt, it seemed 2 would hang out together and one on it's own.

9. OP
    OP
    JRS

Thanks. It is funny, I look at the tank and think the same - it is really cute. But it is in the kitchen and doesn't quite work. Though, I would love it in my daughters room just as it is.

10. Punkin

My qt resides in the kitchen, too.

11. OP
    OP
    JRS

I kinda like it there. I think when my son's tank is stocked, I may need to get some fish for this tank. I actually have another just like it in storage. Found on clearance for $13, tank, filter light and cover. Couldn't leave it at the store. I can use that for any emergencies.

12. Punkin

I keep toying with the idea of making the 5 gallon into a betta tank. But it is nice to just have one tank to maintain.

13. OP
    OP
    JRS

I have been watching the post of what can go into a 5. I am thinking of picking one of those and get 6 schooling fish to go into it. I think I would like a betta, but I also enjoy watching them zoom around together. It is nice to only have one, but after taking care of the 30 the 5 seems like nothing.

14. OP
    OP
    JRS

The orange fish and the yellow one in the middle pretty much stay in their own "rooms", the other one spends the majority of his time in his "room", but every few minutes he seems to like to be difficult and swims into the middle space to pester that guy. He seems to be a troublemaker.

15. OP
    OP
    JRS

16. stella1979

I'm sorry to hear :(

I know you went through a lot with those guys.

I know you had a thread about the illness that affected your little black neon but I can't seem to find it. I know our situations are different but I was hoping I could learn some things from your experience.

How long ago did you finish treating these guys? You mentioned that you knew they still weren't in great shape. What symptoms did he have that let you know that? I'm sorry if this is all addressed on another thread. I do remember some of it but I'm unsure of the timeline.

17. Punkin

So sorry to hear that.

18. OP
    OP
    JRS

Initially my tank had high nitrates (had added way to many fish too quickly to a cycled tank with only 1 fish in it) and I think that took its toll on the black neon tetras that survived. Of the surviving fish from that disaster, they took the longest to recover meaning activity, excessive breathing and color mostly.

Then I noticed ich on several of the fish. Shortly after that another BNT, we called him Spot, had what seemed to be parasites, so I treated the tank for that with Metroplex. Then a few days later, we noticed ich on several of the fish. Treated for that. I think we switched to General Cure. We lost Spot and the same day in one of the pictures Cindi noticed on of the BNT's had columnaris, turned out all 3 did, treated with JFC and Kanaplex. I can't actually remember exactly why we did what anymore. I would have to read through that thread. So they seemed to get passed the ich and the columnaris. At some point one of the BNT's died for no explainable reason, and that one seemed the healthiest of them all.

Then we discovered that the BNT that died today had parasites and I believe the other one had them too. I treated the tank with prazi-pro for two rounds. Both fish seemed to be rid of the parasites and looked better. The one that passed though never had the same level of activity, his coloring was paler than normal and then lately I thought maybe he was playing in the bubbles from the airstone filter I made, but I think he was probably trying to get more oxygen. Earlier today I noticed he was swimming near the top with extra breathing (not correct term is it). Then soon after I noticed he was stuck by the filter sponge and sadly I had to run out. When I got back he had died.

So the poor guy had nitrate poisoning, ich, columnaris and then parasites. It is amazing he lived this long and that the other one seems to be doing fairly well. He seems to be hanging with the harlies.

Probably more than you wanted.

19. stella1979

No, thank you so much for your thorough explanation. About how long ago did you cease all treatment?

20. OP
    OP
    JRS

Oh yeah, sorry forgot that one. Three weeks ago to the day.