30 Gallon Build | Page 5

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by JRS, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Punkin

PunkinWell Known MemberMember

Cute kitty!!

2. OP
    OP
    JRS

JRSWell Known MemberMember

Thanks! That is Isabelle. My other is Pepper. I posted a pic on a thread called
    I Want A Treat
    - I don't know how to link them

3. Punkin

I'll go take a look. Love them kitties!

4. OP
    OP
    JRS

So a couple of days ago, we finally move the harlequins into the 30 gallon tank. Just over 2 months ago I posted my first post on my trouble with the aquarium. It has been two long months and I have learned so much. From a 20 gallon tank that I barely understood to a 30 gallon with live plants (basic ones) happy fish and a QT (who knew you needed that - right?) and oh yeah a python to change the water. It is a miracle that the one glotetra we have had for three years has survived all my mistakes. It is finally great to put some new fish in with the survivors of the tank disaster. What a difference. I no longer feel the need to go in and count fish several times a day. I admit I do usually once a day. Now we added those harlies, it is tough to count. They are so fast, I can see why they need a bigger tank even though they are so small. I even made a homemade filter from an ornament. I thought I would make a post about that soon. It was fun.

Anyway these two months have been quite the journey and I am sure there will be hiccups along the way, but it is finally nice to be in build mode and not in panic mode.

Still have some work to do with the anubias, attach the airline and maybe get a black one and move that sponge filter someplace else. 20170526_160020.jpg

5. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Looks great! I'd love to see how you DIY'd that ornament. Is it a dragon?

6. OP
    OP
    JRS

It is. I am putting together a post right now. Should be done soon. How do I link it to here?

7. OP
    OP
    JRS

8. OP
    OP
    JRS

Meet our new fishy addition to our family. We got them yesterday. 3 glotetras The color is a little off in the photo, the top fish is more of an orange. I just noticed when I posted this picture, the orange on has a bit of frayed tail at the top. It doesn't seem to bad - I don't think. Is this fin rot or more likely nipped by other fish? I gave them a paragard bath during acclimation. I plan to treat with prazi pro in QT starting tomorrow. Since it doesn't seem to bad, will his tail regrow if I keep the water clean or do I need to do something else?

20170529_211357.jpg

9. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

I'd watch it with clean water. Congrats on the new additions!

10. stella1979

stella1979ModeratorModerator Member

Oooh, they're so pretty! :joyful: Congrats!

11. Punkin

How cute!

12. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

13. OP
    OP
    JRS

I was following CindiL's quarantine routine. I have seen many people have differing views on QT. Thoughts?

14. TexasDomer

I don't treat with anything unless they show symptoms or they're wild caught and have a strong possibility of coming with parasites.

15. OP
    OP
    JRS

How long do you QT them?

16. TexasDomer

3-4 weeks! Longer if they show any sign of sickness.

17. OP
    OP
    JRS

I have been watching the tail of the orange fish. One of the yellow ones chases the other two a bit. I can't be sure if it is nipping the orange tail or not. Does this look worse or better than the previous picture. I am really having a hard time deciding. Is it growing back or was more nipped off?

Any thoughts?

Picture today -
    2017-06-03 004.jpg

Picture from 5/29 Just after we got them 2017-05-29 007.jpg

18. TexasDomer

Looks to me like it's growing back.

19. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

I agree with Texas. It's looking much better

20. Punkin