30 Gallon Build | Page 4

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by JRS, Apr 7, 2017.

1. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

The python will connect directly to the hose spout. no adapter needed. Only issue would be temp, but since I keep my tank much warmer at 78F, it may be a little different for me.
    Edit: I have the 25', plus the 20' extension. Shoulda just bought the 50'

2. OP
    OP
    JRS

JRSWell Known MemberMember

Ugh! I forgot about filling temp! Our water is cold!! I keep the tank about 76. I could use it to drain I guess. I will have to rethink.

3. AngelTheGypsy

Ask for the python AND and new faucet! Lol. If you have a laundry sink, maybe that one could work?

4. OP
    OP
    JRS

I love all my faucets. I spent months picking them. Wish I had known I would become fish obsessed and needed less modern fixtures! I could possibly do it with the kitchen pull out, but it falls back into the faucet really easily and is very hard to fish back up. Not sure we want to deal with that. I just called american standard regarding my sinks in the master bath and there are internal threads but the woman said the threads are proprietary and likely wouldn't match anything python has. Proprietary threads in a sink aerator! What are they worried about. No laundry sink.:( The downstairs bathroom sink does have an aerator - I guess I need to measure how far away that is. It is the farthest point in the house from the fishtank. Of course. Will the water pressure in the python go up a story I wonder? Going to get the measuring tape to see how far that is. I should be doing bills but this seems so much more important!

I just measured and it would take 70' with some slack, so I could get the 75' if I can connect it to the internal threads of that faucet. My question is - is it worth dealing with a 75' long hose over the buckets? How challenging is it to roll the hose back up neatly? I am thinking that I should verify if the threads on the upstairs faucet truly won't work first. Maybe I can get an adapter to check.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2017
  5. AngelTheGypsy

I know about liking faucets! Lol. Do they have yours on display at lowes or anything?
    I took the aerator out of my faucet and went to lowes. I figured out what it fit into, then found an adapter that would fit the same thread. (I tried a specialty plumbing shop, no help!). The python fits on a water hose, so that end is easy.
    This may help or not. Python also makes a piece that clamps on any faucet. It may be worth a try! Even with my adapter I have to drape a rag over the faucet so water doesn't spray everywhere. (The adapter screws in, but the thread aren't a perfect fit.)

6. OP
    OP
    JRS

Picture of the new tank. The anubias is still floating around. We have to attach that to something. The fish love the fake bonsai tree and with the algae on it, it almost looks real. We do want at a minimum a few taller plants, especially one to replace the tall green plastic plant. Suggestions and maybe a couple of floating plants that don't spread too quickly.

My son laid this all out himself. I think it came out pretty good. He nixed any of the bright colored ornaments and stuck with a more natural color scheme. Proud and jealous mommy. Want my own tank now.:) I should really make him take over all the care, but I like it. He is learning more of what needs to be done and is helping out.

I also got the thermometer to finally stay around 76. I hope it stays. Seems I adjust it and it slowly creeps back to 78. I hope to soon pick up a Finnex heater controller that @James17 suggested.

Attached Files:

7. AngelTheGypsy

Looks great! My fave tall plant is wisteria, but any easy stem plant would probably do well, or an amazon sword.

8. Punkin

PunkinWell Known MemberMember

Looks great, I like it. Nice that you and your son have an interest to share.

9. OP
    OP
    JRS

The one in the master they don't have at lowes, but the hall bath maybe. I got it there but it was 3 years ago. I can't find the tool to remove that aerator, maybe it is threaded. It is not a round head. I think I will go find its instructions and see what I can find out. A positive in this is that while investigating the aerator on my master bath faucet, I realized I could make it so you can take the plunger out to clean the drain. Paid a plumber to do this and he couldn't figure it out. I did it in about 5 minutes. Got to figure this stuff out for ourselves!

I did see that python has that universal attachement. I don't think it would work on the hall bath, not round and the master has a very short piece so I do not believe the hose clamp would have enough to grasp.

Thanks for bouncing this back and forth with me. There has to be a way - not sure a 75' hose is quite what I want but maybe.

He is interested and loves the fish and the design part, not so much the boring water changes, etc. Video games are more fun. :) He does pretty good. When he asked for fish he thought they were easy, he didn't realize he embarked on a hobby not just a pet.

10. Punkin

PunkinWell Known MemberMember

Python should make a bath tub faucet adapter. Maybe they do and I just don't know it.

11. OP
    OP
    JRS

Do you know some easy stem plants? Is wisteria more difficult that others?

12. OP
    OP
    JRS

Haven't seen one, but yeah that would be perfect. If only I had known, when I built our master shower, I would have had them add a spicket of some sort.

13. OP
    OP
    JRS

I just looked up the hall bath, it is a Delta and has an internal aerator that can be taken out. Is that how your is?

14. AngelTheGypsy

Wisteria
    Hornwort
    Anacharis
    Moneywort
    Bacopa (many varieties, including moneywort)
    Temple compacta (I got this one in the tubes)
    Ludwigia repens (not really sure how easy this one is)

Other ideas:
    Crypts (most are easy and I find them in petco tanks all the time)
    Swords (many varieties like amazon and my fave is ozelot, tube plant too)
    Water sprite (mine melted but is growing back)
    Cabomba (I'm not too sure about this one yet, either, but it hasn't died yet, it's just slow to grow roots)

I have really jumped into plants with both feet! I don't mind trying plants and if they don't work out, meh! I just try something else!

I have switched to Thrive fertilizer by nilocg (sp?). And use root tabs.

Also, on a side note, be really careful about bleach dipping. I killed all of them I dipped last week. I'm sure I did it wrong...but I killed the hastifolia I was so excited about, and a bunch of ludwigia. But they were covered in algae...so I'm not too upset. Also starting to find snails.... Oh well!

Yes. I found a 5/8" to garden hose(3/4") adapter at lowes for about $5.

15. OP
    OP
    JRS

I just went over to Lowes and they didn't have that size. I spoke to the president of Python (I emailed about the universal adapter and he said to call him). He said to take the aerator to a local hardware store to size the threads and he would see if he has the right one. So if I can find a hardware store that has a clue, I can get the thread size for him and see if he has one that will fit.

I am sorry that happened. It just seems wrong to bleach a plant and actually surprises me some plants survive it. I bleached one of the java ferns, so far it is alive. I did that a several days ago. I think it would have died already if it was going to? Have you tried the alum? Some people seem to like that, but it may not do great on the eggs.

The hornwort kinda looks like the green plastic plant. That might be a good choice.

16. AngelTheGypsy

Well I was bleaching to get rid of algae, and the dip recommended for snails didn't cut it, so I did one stronger. Then, because I'm easily distracted, let them soak for longer than intended‍♂️. I doesn't surprise me they died. And since I've found snails, I just won't dip anymore, or buy plants with visible algae. Some of the algae was on shipped plants though, so...
    Also, I forgot I took a photo of the petco jungle tank, but they cleaned it up/organized it! Lol
    c137c85a74355afa78ecaa4506e4cc20.jpg

17. OP
    OP
    JRS

I was going to say that I am the same way when it comes to the gardens outside.

18. OP
    OP
    JRS

20170508_105626.jpg

The cats like the new location. Great kitty tv and a comfy bed to lay on.

19. AngelTheGypsy

You might try a bundle from an online shop. It saves on shipping, and you can get an idea on what works and what doesn't. I got a bundle from aquatic arts and most of it is still growing. Actually I think all of the plants had some survive. I can't remember if I lost anything all together. I lost some ludwigia, moneywort and cabomba, but still have some left. I got the water sprite from there too.

Sorry I'm rambling...

20. OP
    OP
    JRS

I have rambled a bit myself!