30 Gallon Build | Page 3

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by JRS, Apr 7, 2017.

1. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

White sand lol. Ummmmm...tanks...uhh
    38 gal angel community
    Son's betta tank
    Black sand betta tank (has the big java ferns)
    White sand betta tank(yeah, the white WAS pretty...)
    10 gal qt
    5 gal cycled tank for my mom, waiting on stepdad to get out of the hospital to give it to her
    40 breeder still empty

So 6 filled and cycled, 5 stocked, 4 permanent, and one more on the way...

And my 38 is a marineland with black silicone. I don't even notice it anymore, and I failed to clean up one of the sloppy seams. The black silicone also hides algae. My qt and 40 have clear I think, never even noticed tbh

2. OP
    OP
    JRS

JRSWell Known MemberMember

I have major issues so if something isn't how I expect it be, I go a little batty. I am working on it

Wow that is a lot of tanks. I think my husband would have me committed. What is your mom putting in her tank?

Seems like it would be tough to switch out the sand. I was assuming i would do black sand in my son's tank and in my futrure tank because I know I would have a tough time keeping it clean, as i think when all is settled I will vacuum only once a week. Your experience is helping me confirm such choices.

3. Punkin

PunkinWell Known MemberMember

I don't have sand (I should have) but if I did I would do black. White looks cool but I'd have an anxiety attack seeing stuff on it. :p

4. AngelTheGypsy

I wanted 2 opposite tanks for my bettas, the black sand tank has a light colored betta and the white tank holds my blue/red guy who's dark. When it's clean, it's beautiful. But since I added snails, even just the nerite, the snails make such a mess! So I want to do a tree landscape in it instead. I'm just finding it difficult to find a good piece of driftwood small enough that looks enough like a tree (little bit of a perfectionist)

5. OP
    OP
    JRS

You have such great ideas. I noticed a touch of perfectionism. I have my issues too. That tree idea sounds very cool.

6. AngelTheGypsy

Thank you. I generally steal ideas from others...google...

I was thinking about doing the tree thing in the 40 but I don't know if I want to dedicate a big tank to it... I think I want it more densely planted.

7. Punkin

Have you checked out bizaliz3 tanks? She has one, I think it's a 75 gallon, that has an awesome aquascape.
    Edit: lchi87 has some beautiful tanks, too

8. AngelTheGypsy

Yes I'm subbed! Lol

9. OP
    OP
    JRS

Question - in the tank right now are still 3 glo-tetras, 2 black neons and 1 rasbora. The purple glo is being chased by the other two glo's. It hides in the corner behind the heater usually because the other two chase it if it hangs out other places. I don't think they are harming it, just stressing it. We have rasboras that are moving in soon. I have 5 total and was planning on adding 2 this weekend and 3 next weekend, keeping it slow. Right after that I plan to get three more glo-tetras to put in quarantine, but it will be about 3 weeks before they are through QT and ready to go in. I am worried that the purple one will be stressed out until then. Can I do anything about that? Does the plan make sense?

I do plan to make sure there are plenty of hiding place between plants for the fish when we put them in the 30, if I can figure out how. I need some aquascaping ideas for this tank. It won't be against a wall but I guess the side closest to my sons bed is the "front view". Have any of you seen anything you like that is in a tank not against a wall?

10. AngelTheGypsy

I'm thinking doing high plants on the sides, and less in the middle, like a valley? Keep the equipment on the sides? Let me think on it...

11. Punkin

Does the purple glo tetra still seem to follow the other 2, or keep hiding from them? I found when I had only 3 BNT, even though Bully would chase, they still seeked her out and wanted to be by her. If that is the case, I think they may get better when their numbers are increased. I looked for nipping and there was never any. Even now, with 9 total, Bully is the, well, bully, and she chases but they still all want to be near her. It's like she is the queen.

12. OP
    OP
    JRS

Purple used to hang out with the other two a lot, but now that the tank is more open to all sides, purple hangs in the little space behind the heater most of the time. There are times purple tries to hang with them, but gets chased away. That seems to be the only spot "blue the bully" won't bother it. I am hoping when their school is bigger they will calm down. I did move a tall plastic plant into the corner in front of the heater to kind of make it a bit more hidden from view.

13. Punkin

Hmmm... interesting. I am now remembering, that when mine were in a smaller school, it was usually 2 together and 1 was more "outcast" but that has gone away since their group increased. I hope that is the case for you.

14. OP
    OP
    JRS

In the midst of filling up the 30 gallon. Fish are in their new home. The fish must think we are insane. It looks so nice with some real plants and not all neon.
    We averted a disaster. The rasbora jumped out of the holding bucket, or got blown out by the airstone, not really sure what happened. The water level was about 5 inches below the top. I happened to look in and only saw 5 fish not six. Luckily my son found him and we thought he was dead. He wiggled so we put him in and I chased him around with the airstone. He was floating upside down. Suddenly he started swimming. What a relief. Stressed my son and I out.

So I got a java fern from petco in the tubes and it had two. Those were easily stuck in cracks on the driftwood. I have a larger java fern from the LFS, but I need to find something to anchor it. The last plant we have, so far, is an anubias from a petco tube. It has one tiny root from the rhizome and it isn't enough to hold it down in the sand. Any recommendations? I could temporarily pot it in a plastic container with gravel until its roots grow, like the one we got from the LFS, but that is all I can think of.
    By the way my son and i love the way it looks with the real plants.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2017
  15. OP
    OP
    JRS

We put the AC70 on the tank thinking it was a temporary thing, but since it is clear, it seems so much less imposing than the black Penguin that was on it. I think we are going to live with it for a bit and decide. I think it will be less imposing than an internal. The light we have says 24"-36" but it stretches to 36" but not enough to sit correctly.

16. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I would just tie the Anubias onto something until it grows roots (and even after). If you plant it with the rhizome below the gravel, it'll die.

17. OP
    OP
    JRS

I knew about the rhizome, similar to iris' in my garden, but I appreciate it. I guess we will have to find a rock or something to tie it to. I assume like a fishing line or similar plastic thread? Thanks!

18. AngelTheGypsy

I have used sewing thread. You can also use superglue.

19. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I prefer the superglue myslef.

20. OP
    OP
    JRS

I think I have figured out how to use a python. Unfortunately, the only faucet will have to be the outside one. Not sure if I would use that in the winter, but that is only a few bad months. So my question is, do you know if the supplied parts for the python will attach to an outside faucet or would I need one of the adapters? I am thinking of getting rain bucket to put below the faucet and collect the water for my gardens. Mother's day is coming up and my husband asked what I wanted. I think this combination might be it.

Edit - to make it work I will need to get the 75' one. It is just over 55'