30 Gallon Build | Page 2

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by JRS, Apr 7, 2017.

1. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

I use submerged filters in my betta tanks and they work fine in my opinion. I don't know the gph, but I use ones rated for up to a 10 gal in my 5's.

2. OP
    OP
    JRS

JRSWell Known MemberMember

I was all excited to use the AC, got all my media rinsed and bagged. I actually do like the new location better, it is easier to maintain, not jammed in a confined space, but it has thrown me a curve ball.

3. AngelTheGypsy

I think it would be pretty cool!

4. OP
    OP
    JRS

3020942c95884e53a08b54cd8d8a1540.jpg

Here is the temporary set up. No substrate or design since it was just a holding tank.

5. Punkin

PunkinWell Known MemberMember

Hi there! I've been away from fishlore all day! For my ac50, I started with the sponge, carbon, extra floss for the Qt, and the biomax stuff on top. Right now I don't have carbon, I have the original sponge sandwiched between 2 pieces of extra Qt floss, another piece of floss that's supposed to help reduce nitrates, and the biomax on top. Even if the pad doesn't help reduce nitrates, at least it's another place for B.B. to grow.
    I got my silk plants at pet supplies plus, their brand. I have 5 silk ones and 2 small plastic ones. The plastic are from my lfs.

6. OP
    OP
    JRS

So I had to change the title of this to 30 Gallon Build. Just picked it up yesterday. It apparently is not a very popular size, but my LFS had one better priced than I could find anywhere else. I love the shape, I think the rasboras especially will love the long tank to swim.
    The fish all seem happy in their temporary home in the 20. Since I replaced all the water, the ammonia spike was eliminated as it washed down the drain:). I used the body of the other penguin 150 we had laying around and put everything in it to make a quick change and that bio wheel spins, so I will see if this will keep up now. I would have to cut more of the top to fit the AC in, so that will wait till the 30 is put in. Should be done at the latest this weekend. I want to do an in tank filter, but I want to be sure I do my research first.

7. OP
    OP
    JRS

I picked up two cultured plants at petco - wanted to put a couple of plants in right away and not deal with bleaching. I think I will the next round of plants, as these are a little pricey. Anyway, I picked up "Assorted Anubias" and Java Fern "Narrow Leaf". The Anubias has very long thin leave almost like a sword. Do you know if all varieties should be easy low light plants? They had Argentinian Sword but not Amazon sword, do you know if that is the same thing?

My son wants to use black sand as the substrate for the new 30. He would like to do a part of it in the black gravel for texture as he said. So I wa thinking of hacing him make a 'wall" to separate the two so it will be easier to keep them apart. Something like the picture. I was trying to make a mock up. Would this work? Also I was thinking I would superglue the rocks together? Any thoughts? 1549a23ba00034213dd403b869fa39a9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2017
  8. AngelTheGypsy

Check the scientific name on the Argentinian sword, then double check on google. Also if the tube says semi-aquatic (some do thankfully) do NOT buy.
    In my experience the tube plant leaves die in the tank, but the plant grows new ones quickly. So if they seem to not look good, just give it time.
    I have decided not to buy any more in the tubes myself. But the ones I did buy (that were actually aquatic, got duped once) are doing well, with the exception of one large amazon sword, and I've bought several.

The rock wall may work for a while, but eventually it will probably mix some. But if the sand and gravel are black you won't notice much. The superglue may not be necessary. Rocks don't tend to move much.

9. OP
    OP
    JRS

Where do you buy most of yours, an LFS or from other members or elsewhere? He would like a moderately planted tank, so i can't afford too many of those tubes. i grabbed a couple because I think one of the tetras would be pleased to have places to hide. It is pretty nervous and hides a lot.

10. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I buy a lot of plants from Aquabid or people from local Facebook groups.

11. OP
    OP
    JRS

Thanks I will look into it.

12. AngelTheGypsy

I've gotten several in the tubes, some from other members and placed one order from aquatic arts. I really haven't had bad luck out of any of them, But the best luck I've had is getting them straight out of the plant tanks at petco......as long as it was actually aquatic. (mostly because of that jungle tank) Most that I've had shipped have taken time to recover and adjust.

13. OP
    OP
    JRS

I usually go to petsmart, but we have a petco. Petsmart said all there tanks have the snails, so not sure I want to go there, since it is almost a guarantee. Petco's plants did look pretty good in their tanks.

14. AngelTheGypsy

All the plant tanks have snails. A couple of the first ones I got came with hitchhikers, but none made it into a tank (well, not mine, but if I find live snails I put them in the kid's tank cuz he likes them, but all 4 have died or disappeared...) and I have yet to see any snails except my mystery and nerites. I did my first bleach dip yesterday (to get rid of algae, not snails) and I can't get the smell of bleach out of my nose!!!

15. OP
    OP
    JRS

Do you have these in the sand with the roots buried but not the rhizomes? Or do they need to be tied to driftwood, etc? I am familiar with plants like that in the yard but haven't ever planted anything in the tanks.

Yeah, yesterday I did my first bleach cleaning of old decorations from my daughters tank. I am sure that the fish died from nitrates, now that I know stuff. But just in case it was disease and plus they have been sitting in a bucket for a year, I decided to go on the cautious side. Next to boil her old piece of driftwood. My daughter is letting him take it since she is not sure she wants another tank.

I was going to do a leak test on the 30 today and when I took the cardboard off, I discovered the tank has black silicone instead of clear. Not sure I would have cared when it was in a dark corner, but at the end of the bed it can be seen from all sides and I like the almost clear corners. So back to the LFS tomorrow, he is ordering me an Aqueon that has clear silicone and I am returning the Marineland. Now I will know to look for silicone color in the future. Always learning.

16. AngelTheGypsy

Not trying to flood your thread with photos, but I'm visual...and please forgive the dirty tanks...especially the white one. With mysteries it's impossible to keep clean...planning to do away with the white asap.

Anubias:
    Roots buried, rhizome exposed
    98b8c8911366cb07904ce35fd7b4a191.jpg
    37b509db9fe4d2ae6e33a289289cddbd.jpg
    Wedged into driftwood or between rocks (these have enormous roots, so some are buried as well)
    29557179aa2761c5f9377cd47822b2a7.jpg
    9e6bb19defa4fcdd076d5a4c2aa878f0.jpg
    4bd30bd07deb8891f47cef0bfb90591f.jpg
    959baa1ea5e93b7af6a550681965f0a9.jpg

Java fern. I originally tied with string, some of the leaves died so I redid some of it, this time used superglue
    f0a0bfcaa30a8e852440985adb042685.jpg
    b8db425eb7b895c34cf0ba1807ff3120.jpg
    Java fern wedged in driftwood. These are all babies from the original tube plant, pictured above
    5210b695f0b5586feed6de7b7c4f1aa9.jpg
    69624fc7abf30b3f00dafc78c6e85c04.jpg

17. OP
    OP
    JRS

Awesome pictures. Thanks, don't mind at all. So the java fern already made baby plants? That was pretty quick. That helps a lot. I had googled planting anubias and java fern. Somewhere online someone was saying it had to be tied to a piece of wood or a rock, but I thought I remembered you saying you did it this way. I think there are some good spots in our driftwood that I can wedge the java fern into. This is great, now I can try out sand, plants, rock walls, etc on my son's tank and when I am ready to set on up for me, I should have some good ideas from his tank and this forum.

18. Punkin

Just my opinion, I actually prefer the black silicone, I think it gives it a more finished, furniture look. But just my 2 cents :)

19. OP
    OP
    JRS

Do away with the white sand or snail? How many tanks do you have running? The angel is in the 38, but your 40 isn't up yet right? Where is the black sand?

Hmm! I will have to look at it from that point of view.

20. Punkin

"Custom" is the word I was looking for. It just hit me. :D Gives it a custom, furniture-like look.