30 gallon breeder rim cracked

1. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

So while putting the tank in the truck the rim cracked on my 30 breeder so i was thinking of maybe making it rimless, but would it be ok either way? Also how can i clean the outside glass and the rim?

2. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

bump

3. Fall River Member Member

Hi
    Top rim or bottom? If it's the top you could possibly remove the trim and add glass stiffeners on the inside edges of the long sides to keep it from bowing. If it's the bottom you might be out of luck, unless you can find a replacement piece.

4. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

Its the bottom left corner. the black rimming. i thought a lot of tanks you could just make rimless or i could just glue it.

5. apple429 Well Known Member Member

You could find a manufacturing shop to make you a new one, but it might be spendy... I sure would think that there are replacement parts out there!

EDIT: Or if it is a small one (can we see a pic?) you could use a heat gun and try and melt it, now this is hard to make perfect, so that side would probably go towards the back (unless you got it flame polished (which is spendy).

6. Fall River Member Member

The bottom is where all the weight of the water is. Personally, I'd glue it and hope for the best. I'm NOT saying that's what YOU should do! It's a calculated risk, but still a risk.
    Could also hit Petco when they have the $1 a gallon sale, an excuse to bump up to a 40 breeder.

7. apple429 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't want a rimless, I would be too worried about it (but thats just me) glue would probably work.

8. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

Any idea when the next sale would be. i need ut soon and craigslist doesnt do much for deals.

9. apple429 Well Known Member Member

10. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

i can only do a 40 breeder.

11. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

yea i cant use this tank. not for fish anyway. makes me so freaking mad. i traded fish for it. its got a chip on the right front corner too on the glass.

12. uphill4me Member Member

In the mean time if required, a simple fix is to go to a welding or metal shop. Have them cut a strip of steel to fit. If rushed, coat the steel well with aquarium silicone to prevent rust. If you choose to paint the metal, do it before silicone. Often the metal shop can have it powder coated at little to no cost if you can wait until the next batch of the color you choose. Powder Coating prevents rust better than silicone and looks great. Even though it is steel, I don't intend to imply it is as good as it originally was.