30 gallon betta community

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by CROWNTAILBETTA, Jul 5, 2016.

1. CROWNTAILBETTA

CROWNTAILBETTA Well Known Member Member

Hi, I have a cycled 30 gallon stocked with 3 bronze corydoras, 1 male swordtail, 1 male platy and 4 bloodfin tetras (when I am finished stocking my tank the bloodfin school will have 7 tetras in it.) I was curious if I could add a female betta to the mix, or are they are incompatible with the fish I currently have? P.S. the tank has been cycled for 3 months now.:;thx

2. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

I would first bump the cories up to at least 6.

I don't know the temperatures needed for your current stocking but bettas like warmer temperatures.

Adding a betta to a community is chancy no matter if it's a male or female. Females are generally less aggressive. I'd try it but be prepared to remove her if things take a turn.

3. OP
    OP
    CROWNTAILBETTA

isn't that overstocking my tank?

4. Airth

Airth Valued Member Member

I'm not really sure. While not the most accurate, aqadvisor.com will give you a general idea of your stocking level.

5. OP
    OP
    CROWNTAILBETTA

ok, thanks!

6. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Agree with Airth. The first order of business is to ensure your current occupants are in proper numbers. That means upping your cories and your tetras to at least 6 of each. Then if you want to add a betta, even a female, make sure you have an extra tank handy should things go south. The females are at least as capable of inflicting damage on their tankmates as the males;)

For a better answer to your stocking question you can try posting in the stocking section. There are people here who are really good at ironing out the kinks:)

7. OP
    OP
    CROWNTAILBETTA

ok good to know :)

8. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

i agree with everyone that has said you need to bring your cories and tetra's groups up. a female beta or a male beta would be okay, but you will need to first add more to your groups, so your fish are happy. you will always need another tank in case something goes wrong. I would also watch for your tetra's going after your betas' fins.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice