30 Gallon aquascaping

• Thread starter Sleepyflea
  • Start date

Sleepyflea

Currently my 30 gallon houses 5 female bettas and 1 male betta that is shy as can all be around the ladies.
I also have a 10 gallon with 3 male guppies and 1 female that is currently pregnant. After she has her kids and they are sizeable, im going to move them into the empty side of the 30 gallon.(Just ordered a 30gal splitter from amazon)

Currently there is no substrate because i refuse to use gravel with bottom feeders and snails.
I thought about getting fluval sand and some plants to throw in it. But my problem is cleaning the tank. How do you clean a planted sand tank without wrecking the aquascape?

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Your poor female guppy. Females need to outnumber the males males with livebearers.
I also wouldn't split the 30g with all the bettas in it. They need space to get away from each other.

Sleepyflea

Ghelfaire said:
Your poor female guppy. Females need to outnumber the males males with livebearers.
I also wouldn't split the 30g with all the bettas in it. They need space to get away from each other.
The female is seperated in her own space since she is currently pregnant. So you want me to have hundreds of guppy babies by getting more females? no thanks! They have homes and floating plants to get away from eachother, and thats all thats required. She gets along just fine with the males and will go and hide if she is being bothered. Im asking for Aquarium building advice for for a 30 gallon, not advice on stocking my gupps.

Also you dont think a 15 gallon tall space is enough for the bettas?

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Male guppies have been know to exhaust females to death trying to constantly mate. The point is sell the babies and/or trade 2 of your males for females. You dont need hundreds of females just 2 per male. Not sure where you got that insane statistic.

No, 15g is not good for 1 male and 5 female bettas who all have their established territorie with 30g of space.

If your divider is clear your bettas will try to kill the guppies. If a betta somehow gets to the other side it will attack your guppies. If a guppy gets to the other side it's dead.

Sleepyflea

Ghelfaire said:
Male guppies have been know to exhaust females to death trying to constantly mate. The point is sell the babies and/or trade 2 of your males for females. You dont need hundreds of females just 2 per male. Not sure where you got that insane statistic.

No, 15g is not good for 1 male and 5 female bettas who all have their established territorie with 30g of space.

If your divider is clear your bettas will try to kill the guppies. If a betta somehow gets to the other side it will attack your guppies. If a guppy gets to the other side it's dead.
My guppies have lived with bettas until i split them. This is completely false as imported bettas are very friendly with guppies if they are raised with them. Mine are sourced from another country(its said they have better temperment there) and its very true. They dont attack my guppies. Anyways, the divider is like a smoky white and will fit perfectly since i measured it. Would you reccomend donating some of the female bettas. to a local fish shop for the downsize? As for the guppy stocking i could probably just get more females and donate the kids if they survive.

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Bettas can snap and kill everything in a tank, even the peaceful ones.

Sleepyflea

Ghelfaire said:
Well they wont be housed together thats why i got the divider. I dont know why this came up.
If the divider fits it shouldnt let any fish even a fry get through the sides.

jkkgron2

Fishlore VIP
I wouldn’t keep a betta sorority with a male betta in a 15 gallon. Even a 30 is risky. I also agree with Ghelfaire about having more females than male guppy’s. I’ve had females die because of constant harassment.

Sleepyflea

jkkgron2 said:
I wouldn’t keep a betta sorority with a male betta in a 15 gallon. Even a 30 is risky. I also agree with Ghelfaire about having more females than male guppy’s. I’ve had females die because of constant harassment.
Well she seems more calm in her 7 gallon breeder area. Im gonna go to my LFS and get more females today when i pickup my hydrometer for my nerite snail tank.

Sleepyflea

As for the bettas. Should i give the male his own 10 gallon tank next to my bed? would that solve the space issue? or should i get rid of some females?

jkkgron2

Fishlore VIP
Sleepyflea said:
As for the bettas. Should i give the male his own 10 gallon tank next to my bed? would that solve the space issue? or should i get rid of some females?
It’s still a risk but giving the male his own tank would be a lot safer :) it should reduce the space issue and now it would be doable. Maybe not the best but doable.

Sleepyflea

jkkgron2 said:
It’s still a risk but giving the male his own tank would be a lot safer :) it should reduce the space issue and now it would be doable. Maybe not the best but doable.
Well i heard you are supposed to keep females in packs of 3-5. I currently have 5 and only 1 has a bad temperment. Moving the male to his own 10 gallon again would make him happy as well, last time i did that he made a bubble nest, which might make him want to be friendly with the ladies. (I have 50 mason jars and baby brine shrimp grow setup waiting for babies)

jkkgron2

Fishlore VIP
Sleepyflea said:
Well i heard you are supposed to keep females in packs of 3-5. I currently have 5 and only 1 has a bad temperment. Moving the male to his own 10 gallon again would make him happy as well, last time i did that he made a bubble nest, which might make him want to be friendly with the ladies. (I have 50 mason jars and baby brine shrimp grow setup waiting for babies)
5 in a 15 gallon is perfect! If you’re wanting to breed them I would divide the 10g Using a clear divider and keep the male on one side and whichever female you want to breed on the other. After a week I would start floating the female in a cup for 15-30 minutes twice a day and after a few days carefully introduce her to the male. And remove after she’s bred.

Sleepyflea

jkkgron2 said:
5 in a 15 gallon is perfect! If you’re wanting to breed them I would divide the 10g Using a clear divider and keep the male on one side and whichever female you want to breed on the other. After a week I would start floating the female in a cup for 15-30 minutes twice a day and after a few days carefully introduce her to the male. And remove after she’s bred.
Interesting. Ive allways floated the male

jkkgron2

Fishlore VIP
Sleepyflea said:
Interesting. Ive allways floated the male
You want to float the female because the male needs to make the bubble nest. Him seeing the female in his territory will spur him to make a large bubble nest for breeding.

jake37

Fishlore VIP
I have 4 female betta with 20 guppies in a 29 and no issues.

Ghelfaire said:

Sleepyflea

jake37 said:
I have 4 female betta with 20 guppies in a 29 and no issues.
Do you use a divider? Im getting one for the sole fact that i dont want fin nipping.

I just bought some mopani wood and boiled it for an hour and just put it in the fish tank. Im hoping this will reduce stress. My guppies are decently small so i have a feeling they might fit through the water holes in the divider. If thats the case i will return it and hope the tannins do the work.

Sleepyflea

Thoughts on keeping 5 female bettas with 11 guppies?

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Nope. No dividers. I have fin nipping in my krib tank but not the guppy tank. The guppy tank has 7 or 8 swordtails, 4 female betta, 4 young apistogramma, 11 kuhli loaches, 3 mystery snails (and maybe some baby mystery - i think one of the egg sacks burst), and a gazillion guppies (though in all honesty i've not seen very many guppy frys recenetly). This is a 29 gallon tank and yes it is over populated. I'll be removing 2 of the female swordtails next time i go to the lfs. Hum. Oh and two young blue eye bn pleco. One of the lemon looks like a male - when i can confirm his sex i'll move him into the 120.
-
I have to say that a couple of my guppy mutts are really really nice looking. I've gotten these green cobra with red tails and even better these blue delta with red tails and a touch of green in the blue. Mutts are the best esp since i dislike blue delta pure.

Sleepyflea said:
Do you use a divider? Im getting one for the sole fact that i dont want fin nipping.

I just bought some mopani wood and boiled it for an hour and just put it in the fish tank. Im hoping this will reduce stress. My guppies are decently small so i have a feeling they might fit through the water holes in the divider. If thats the case i will return it and hope the tannins do the work.

Sleepyflea

jake37 said:
Nope. No dividers. I have fin nipping in my krib tank but not the guppy tank. The guppy tank has 7 or 8 swordtails, 4 female betta, 4 young apistogramma, 11 kuhli loaches, 3 mystery snails (and maybe some baby mystery - i think one of the egg sacks burst), and a gazillion guppies (though in all honesty i've not seen very many guppy frys recenetly). This is a 29 gallon tank and yes it is over populated. I'll be removing 2 of the female swordtails next time i go to the lfs. Hum. Oh and two young blue eye bn pleco.
I currently have a 10 gallon with 8 female guppies and 3 male guppies in a seperate section divided.
The female is heavily pregnant and about to burst any day.
Do you think it would be fine to put all my guppies with my 5 female bettas? Im going to put my male guppy in his own 10 gallon and put the female guppy on the other side of the 10 gallon that is about to give birth.

Note: afterwards the male will have the 10 gallon to himself

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Depends on a lot of factor. Do you care if the frys get eaten. Do you have a lot of plants and cover. My tank whlie a measly 29 has a gazillion hiding places - here is a picture. You can't see it but there is a large piece of drift wood behind that large plant in the front middle. And there is java moss and similar under the drift wood (it arches up). Also that sponge filter on the left has a rock under it so fishes can hide under it. There is a coconut shell on the left in front of the sponge filter behind the sword plant. The plant in the very back is well branched so frys and others can hide in the the dense green stuff near the back. While i frequenlty see all 11 kuhli at times they can all manage to hide so i see none.

One last thing i forgo to mention - it depends on your betta. I will say it is often better to add betta to a tank than adding fishes to a tank with betta but either way their behavior can be unpredictable. In general all fishes are unpredictable. There have been cases (not with me) where if you add a fish to a guppy tank the guppies will swarm it and nip it to death. Some fishes become territorial. Even mild manner guppies. The person i purchase these female betta from assured me they would be mild manner and to-date they have been. One of them did chase a young apistogramma around the first hour i put him in but since then have left him alone. Of course the apistogramma will get large enough to hold their own but they aren't quite there yet.

zzz.jpg

Sleepyflea said:
I currently have a 10 gallon with 8 female guppies and 3 male guppies in a seperate section divided.
The female is heavily pregnant and about to burst any day.
Do you think it would be fine to put all my guppies with my 5 female bettas? Im going to put my male guppy in his own 10 gallon and put the female guppy on the other side of the 10 gallon that is about to give birth.

Sleepyflea

jake37 said:
Depends on a lot of factor. Do you care if the frys get eaten. Do you have a lot of plants and cover. My tank whlie a measly 29 has a gazillion hiding places - here is a picture. You can't see it but there is a large piece of drift wood behind that large plant in the front middle. And there is java moss and similar under the drift wood (it arches up). Also that sponge filter on the left has a rock under it so fishes can hide under it. There is a coconut shell on the left in front of the sponge filter behind the sword plant. The plant in the very back is well branched so frys and others can hide in the the dense green stuff near the back. While i frequenlty see all 11 kuhli at times they can all manage to hide so i see none.

One last thing i forgo to mention - it depends on your betta. I will say it is often better to add betta to a tank than adding fishes to a tank with betta but either way their behavior can be unpredictable. In general all fishes are unpredictable. There have been cases (not with me) where if you add a fish to a guppy tank the guppies will swarm it and nip it to death. Some fishes become territorial. Even mild manner guppies. The person i purchase these female betta from assured me they would be mild manner and to-date they have been. One of them did chase a young apistogramma around the first hour i put him in but since then have left him alone. Of course the apistogramma will get large enough to hold their own but they aren't quite there yet.

zzz.jpg
I transfered all of the guppies besides the pregnant one into the community betta tank. So far so good. I do have 1 female betta with a temperment i might have to get rid of if she doesnt settle down. She messes with the other females also...

What sand do you use? Im ordering some fluval i think

jake37

Fishlore VIP
This specific tank has estes stoney river black subtrate. It is inert and not a dirt or 'plant' substrate. I have 40 or 50lb in this tank.

Sleepyflea said:
I transfered all of the guppies besides the pregnant one into the community betta tank. So far so good. I do have 1 female betta with a temperment i might have to get rid of if she doesnt settle down. She messes with the other females also...

What sand do you use? Im ordering some fluval i think

Sleepyflea

jake37 said:
This specific tank has estes stoney river black subtrate. It is inert and not a dirt or 'plant' substrate. I have 40 or 50lb in this tank.
Ah. the stuff im going to order has plant nutrients built into the sand somehow.
Thoughts on keeping the male betta with the females? hes been fine with them for the last few weeks and very shy.
I dont know how to keep him happy in a community tank? Should i put the air flow in one corner and save a no flow corner for a bubble nest?

Sleepyflea

My current setup:
IMG-0058.jpg

Im ordering some sand and plan on removing the background so the tank feels more open.
What plants should i get?

Sleepyflea

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Adult male betta are known to kill females. No personal experience but i suspect yours is young.

Sleepyflea said:
Ah. the stuff im going to order has plant nutrients built into the sand somehow.
Thoughts on keeping the male betta with the females? hes been fine with them for the last few weeks and very shy.
I dont know how to keep him happy in a community tank? Should i put the air flow in one corner and save a no flow corner for a bubble nest?

Sleepyflea

jake37 said:
Adult males are known to kill females.
Mines been with 5 females for about 3 weeks already. There was a tiny bit of fin nipping, but the nips are healing and there hasnt been any fights since the first meeting. He keeps to himself, other than that i check my fish every day for nips and general health.
I just introduced a mopani log. It should help ease the mood.

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Well when he mature he is going to bulid a bubble nest and want to breed and then he is likely to not be so friendly.

Sleepyflea said:
Mines been with 5 females for about 3 weeks already. There was a tiny bit of fin nipping, but the nips are healing and there hasnt been any fights since the first meeting. He keeps to himself, other than that i check my fish every day for nips and general health.
I just introduced a mopani log. It should help ease the mood.

Sleepyflea

jake37 said:
Well when he mature he is going to bulid a bubble nest and want to breed and then he is likely to not be so friendly.
I have 2 spare 10 gallon tanks in storage for emergencies.
If i notice a bubble nest forming i will move him into a breeder tank since it only needs a filter and heater.

Sleepyflea

I have kept the 30 gallon as the same in the picture, but i moved boy betta and the pregnant guppy to their own tank(10 gal). Once the guppy has her fry she has to be put back into the community tank for safety.

FishBoy101

Well Known
Sleepyflea said:
The female is seperated in her own space since she is currently pregnant. So you want me to have hundreds of guppy babies by getting more females? no thanks! They have homes and floating plants to get away from eachother, and thats all thats required. She gets along just fine with the males and will go and hide if she is being bothered. Im asking for Aquarium building advice for for a 30 gallon, not advice on stocking my gupps.

Also you dont think a 15 gallon tall space is enough for the bettas?
No it is not
Sleepyflea said:
I have kept the 30 gallon as the same in the picture, but i moved boy betta and the pregnant guppy to their own tank(10 gal). Once the guppy has her fry she has to be put back into the community tank for safety.
I would try and not move around everyone too much because that can induce stress.
Sleepyflea said:
No male in the tank, many disasters have been recorded before of 1 male & females betta soroities. I agree that you moved the male betta.

Good Luck!

Top Bottom