30 Gal - Stocking Questions

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fanatic, Apr 23, 2017.

1. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Hey everyone, and welcome to my thread about stocking ideas.

I have a 30g tank, on a stand. It has tan gravel, but it doesn't have any live plants because we bought it from someone who didn't have any in there at the time.

We plan to add a couple more tank mates, and live plants. We just need to figure out what kind of fish are perfect for us.

We have a hang-over-the-back filter, but we are going to get a canister, and a glass top.

Current Fish: Opaline Gouramis (2) Albino Cory Cats (2) Chinese Algae Eater (1)

Any ideas for middle dwelling fish that are good for a 30g?

2. Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

To my understanding, the chinese algae eater is agressive and will eventually get too big for your tank, reaching up to a foot in size. I would up the albino cories to a group of 6 (because they are shoaling fish). For a mid dwelling fish, I would do rummy nose tetras. They are extremely hardy and beautiful fish. Maybe 8 of those?

3. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Hmm. Sounds like the algae eater might be a problem then. Remember, I wasn't the one who originally purchased the fish.

I was planning to up the group of cories, due to them being a shoaling fish like you said.

I'll have to look into some rummy noses! What about Black Skirts?

4. Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

Black skirts like a temperature of 74 and below I believe. You're Opalines according to my search need 75 - 86, and I wouldn't want to push the temp low. Rummynose like an average of 77-78. The cories can take this, and its good for the gourami. If you're keeping it around 76-79 you'd be set for rummynose, if you like them enough :)

5. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

They are very pretty! I think they have a unique coloration on their face.

We will have to visit our local Aquarium Store for more details. Keep you posted!

6. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Definitely rehome the CAE, they get way too big for this size tank and are very aggressive when older.
    What are the dimensions of the tank?

7. chickenghostValued MemberMember

black skirts might nip the opaline gouramis as well.

8. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Yes, we are probably planning on it. When we get our new tank mates, we'll ask if they will take him.

Pretty sure the tank is 20"H 20"W 18"D

We found the actual brand of the tank online, it's made by marineland. It's actual 27 gallons, after we found the actual size.

I'm just wanting to ask, but. I have noticed that my gouramis like to chase each other. One of them seems to like to hide in the bottom corner, behind the plant.

Although, he does still eat well. Any idea why he hides? We've currently got him on a PimaFix Treatment for fin damage.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  9. Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

Probably because both are males. As long as you see nothing serious (bite marks, loss in appetite, damaged tonnage, etc), you're fine. It's normal for gouramis to fight, like bettas for example.

May I ask though what are the sizes (try the best to measure) of the hiding one and the chasing one?

10. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

They're both around 5 - 6"

The hiding one stays behind the plant all day pretty much. I just observed what happens when he tries to come out of hiding. The chasing one speeds after him and puts him back where he was.

He doesn't have a loss in appetite, I'd say its harder for him to get to the food. I just fed them, and he usually eats at night.
    Probably will get a new food for them, maybe a larger sized pellet food?

11. Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

What brand of food/type of food do you use currently?

12. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I wasn't the one who picked out the food. We plan to upgrade everything later.

We use Tetra Tropical Flakes (brown lid) Food. We also use wardley Shrimp Pellets for bottom feeding fish (which the gouramis love) to eat.

13. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

I've heard that Wardley Shrimp pellets can cloud the water.

14. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

I use that brand and it doesn't cloud my water at all as long as I don't drop way too many pellets into the tank.

15. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

They can.

If I set this tank up on the 19th, and currently have one of the gouramis on PimaFix medication. Can I go 4 more days before cleaning the water? Once you begin medicating you can't change the water for a week.

16. Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

19th of April? Did you finish cycling that day or put water in the tank and stuff that day?

17. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Put the water, and the decor.

I am just asking if I put the water in on the 19th, and currently have 4 days left of medication to go. Can I go without water changes for 4 more days?

We get our canister filter tomorrow.

IMG_8303.JPGIMG_8304.JPGIMG_8305.JPG

Here is how it looks when he hides.

I can't wait to add live plants, and new tank mates. We are planning to introduce them gradually.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  18. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

With those dimensions, I wouldn't keep the opaline gouramis either.

You can then add skirt tetra and add more cories of the same species.

19. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

If I were to rehome the opaline gouramis, how many tetras could I fit into the tank, with more cories. How many cories as well?

20. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Maybe 8-10 of each?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice