30 Gal Stocking Options

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fish4Ever, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Fish4Ever

Fish4EverValued MemberMember

Hay all,

I am planning on upgrading from a ten gal to a thirty gal and was wondering if this would be ok:
    2X platties
    2X mollies
    6X guppies
    I am also intrested in more species if I have A. more space or B. its a better combination.

Also I currently have 3 male guppies so should I go with three more males, three females, or more than three females.

I would love to use my ten gallon as a home for fry, a hospital, or a quarantine tank. Which would be best?

Thanks!

2. goplecos

goplecosWell Known MemberMember

I would set up the ten gallon as a fry tank. I would get 6 female guppies so you will have 9 in total. I would also get 3 platies 1 male 2 females. According to AqAdvisor you are only at 68% but you have to stock very lightly with livebearers, as they will breed like crazy.

3. OP
    OP
    Fish4Ever

I am mostly intrested in breeding mollies. Besides that I would let nature takes its course with the guppy fry (I am counting on 1or two per birth.) I will probably get 2-3 male platys.

I will probably give some fish fry to friends. Also I was wondering what other speces of fish may work in this tank? I would love a species diverse community tank!

4. goplecos

The one tank you could do is a school of 6 Otos. But I have never kept Otos and Mollies together so I'm not sure.

Then you could not do the platies, and instead do 3 mollies. I would do ballon mollies. They contribute to the bioload as much as a regular molly, but they are smaller and less active so they would work better with the guppies.

MLL110-03.5.jpg
    These are regular Balloons

721f09f424c997825e47fb62f048adeb.jpg
    This is a fancy male.

5. OP
    OP
    Fish4Ever

The mollie I have now is a balloon lyretail cremcicle! so cute I dont have a pic now maybe tomorrow.

6. goplecos

I would stay with the balloons, since they will do better with the Guppies. I would also do more research before you even consider getting Otos.

7. OP
    OP
    Fish4Ever

I just read baloon mollies are not a natural species being heavily bread to look the way thay do... and because of this they have shorter life spans. Is it possible to breed a balloon mollie with a regular one? I have never done any breeding before so this new to me.

8. goplecos

I breed my Balloons with regular and their offspring look like less balloony Balloons. I have never had an issue with balloons having a shorter lifespan.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice