30 gal stock

1. I'm not Fish-ist

I'm not Fish-ist Valued Member Member

I would like to stock a 30 gallon tank with 1 angelfish, 10 neon tetras, 3 cory cats, 5 ghost shrimp, and 2 mystery snails. It is cycling now and it will be planted with 2 amazon swords, 3 money worts, 1 anubias and 1 water wisteria and I will let the plants grow for a week or 2 and then put the fish in. Would I be able to put any dwarf puffer fish or female bettas (only one or the other) in the tank? If so how many of either? Anything is appreciated

2. :) fatcatfish (:

:) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

The dwarf puffers will harass and possibly kill all the other fish and eat the shrimp, so I would advise against them. As for the angelfish and neons, I have heard quite mixed things I'm sure someone else has some experience with that. As for the cories, they need to be in a single species group of 6+.

3. thefuzzyaussie

thefuzzyaussie Valued Member Member

The angel will almost definitely eat the neons. Anything they can fit in their mouth they will. Speaking from experience here :/

If you had to pick a fish that you just HAD to have from your stocking, what would it be? We can help stock from there :)

4. :) fatcatfish (:

:) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

If you're interested in cichlids, then you can try the Apistogrammas which will be more compatible with the neons.

5. OP
    OP
    I'm not Fish-ist

I would most definitely go with the angelfish, I have had them before and they have always been personable with me, and would 5 cories be ok? Now do you think an ACF (or even 2) would be fine in there?

6. thefuzzyaussie

thefuzzyaussie Valued Member Member

5 cories is possible though the more the better as they are a schooling fish.

If youre definitely keen on the angel i would lean more towards rummynose tetras. Beautiful colours and temp compatible. They also start small (though grow bigger than neons) so if youre getting them young definitely get your angel young as well. If they grow up together theres a much better chance theyll co-exist peacefully :)

7. OP
    OP
    I'm not Fish-ist

Ok. Rethinking my fish choices. 1 mystery snail, 2 angelfish and about 7-8 mixed species cory cats. Is that an ok amount of cories for a 30? Would I be able to add more? I know the 2 angels will be fine.

8. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

ACF?

5 cories will be fine but that's the bare minimum.

For a 30 gallon with 1 angel I'd do something like this

1 Angel
    10-12 Schooling fish (lemon tetra, rummynose tetra, cherry barb, harlequin rasbora)
    Shrimp/Snails (Just be aware your angel may snack on the shrimp from time to time)
    8-10 Cory Cats (Make sure to choose a species that likes warm water like aeneus or sterbai) (You can stick with 5 if you want but you have room for more)

Edit: from the new post I wouldn't put 2 angels in a 30. And for cory's you want to stick with the same species. They need at least 5 of their same species to be comfortable. You could do 5 of one type and 5 of another. Or you could do 8-10 aeneus as aeneus comes in three different colors, bronze, albino, and green

9. FallenOwl

FallenOwl Well Known Member Member

ACF= African Clawed frog. (If that's what you meant) They are aggressive (They have claws) and should be kept in a tank to themselves.
    I agree with tyguy7760's stock, that would be your best option I your looking to get an angel fish.

10. beau

beau Well Known Member Member

Cories should ideally be all the same species. If you really want a mix you could do 5 of each species, but it would be the minimum.