30 Gal. Pleco?

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by SFGiantsGuy, Apr 22, 2018.

1. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

I admit, been doing this for a very long time now, and admittedly, have very little experience with Plecos, as I only ever have owned one when I was 15 years old--he grew to be a HUGE 9 inch beast in my old 55 gal. So my question is, in my 30 gal tank, which Pleco won't exceed 3-4 inches in length? Thank you very much everyone.

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Basically anything bristlenose or smaller.

3. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

You could try the species under the genus Panaqolus. Everything within it stays small. The most common sold under that genus is the Clown Pleco, Panaqolus maccus. It is also the fish pictured in my avatar. Keep in mind that these plecos are all wood eaters.

Bristlenose Plecos generally stay small, less than 6”. The Ancistrus claro is a type of bristlenose that probably won’t exceed 4”. You also have the Inambari Dwarf as another species that maxes at around 2.5”-3”, if you can find them. However, they’re exceedingly rare, but that’s part of the fun—planning for and finding them.

Also look into the genus Parotocinclus, such as Parotocinclus jumbo, which is more commonly known as the Pitbull Pleco.

As you see, there are quite a few options. Obviously, I can't list every species, but the three genus, I think, are pretty good starting points. Check out Planet Catfish, and use the search function to look further into each genus. The numbers might be overwhelming.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  4. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Yeah I was thinking Pitbull or Bristlenose, no problem supplying 'em with algae or dirftwood, as I have an abundance of that etc. I'll check out those other suggested ones as well. Here in CO. we have some pretty good, reputable and very respectable lfs that are likely more than capable of accommodating with any special orders of all types. The impression and key seems to be, is getting in good, versed cahoots with the bosses there eh!? Thanks!

5. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

If your looking for easy, readily sourced plecos your best vet would be bristlenose or rubberlip pleco. If your looking for a cute interesting addition, I'd suggest otos.

However, if you looking for a more interesting pleco than the above three, many of the L-number plecos would nake suitable choices. Some that come to mind are the L-333 (and around that, like 332, 336 and whatnot...literally 1000's to pick!) and zebra plecos. Goldnugget are another good choice.

6. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Yeah the cost isn't as big of an issue as much as the simple physics: Just was interested in a smaller one that won't exceed 4 inches for my 30 gal. Trying to shop and research right now here...so far, good suggestions gentlemen! Thank you.

Oh and I already have a few otos though. Just miss having a Pleco hanging around heh

Oh wow...Rio Negro (L135) is looking good here...doesn't get too too big...and cheap too heh...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2018
  7. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ancistrus claro

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice