30 Gal community Tank setup question

amace

Hey folks, new poster here, just looking for some advice.

I've just picked up a 30 gallon tank, that I"m going to be stocking soon. I've got an idea of what I'd like to do, but I want to know if there's anything terribly wrong with what I"m doing.

Here's some background info.

I've currently got a 5 gal tank, has 6 Neon tetras, two guppies, a snail and temporarily two plecos (they came with the 30-gal tank, but can't live in that tank while it was being filled/cycled, I think they're too big for the 30 even, so I'm going to have to find a new home for them) One's just a little guy (I believe it is a clown pleco, but currently trying to verify), but the other is about 3 inches right now and is a common pleco. He's gonna get too big.

There is also a common goldfish in that tank. I know it has no business being in there, but the story with that one is my girlfriend bought two of them for a bowl. Obviously, they're no bowl fish, one died almost immediately, and I stuck the other one in with the tropical fish and he's been doing quite well. Seems very healthy, just acting like a regular goldfish, always scavenging for food, and he gets along great with all the other fish. The water, for reference is about 80 degrees, and so far it doesn't seem to be bothering him much. Also, I've noticed in the fish store, a lot of the tanks have a single goldfish in it, and the sales folk say they use it for population control, eating baby snails/eggs.

My thought for the big tank was a few slightly bigger fish. I'd like to get an Angelfish, and I feel the tank is too small for more than just one. I was also thinking a couple Pearl Gouramis, the small Pleco and a couple platys. This would be about all I think the tank can handle.

Any thoughts? THanks in advance

ETAMH

Hello how tall is your tank angels like deep tanks 2 angels should have no probs in a 30 gallon tank with a trio of platys 2 female 1 male a pair of pearl gouramis will get on fine with both just the plecs do you know what type they are because some grow massive and are gonna pollute your tank the most

OP
A

amace

Hello how tall is your tank angels like deep tanks 2 angels should have no probs in a 30 gallon tank with a trio of platys 2 female 1 male a pair of pearl gouramis will get on fine with both just the plecs do you know what type they are because some grow massive and are gonna pollute your tank the most

Tank is 32Lx14W18H, these measurements are taken from the outside, but actually works out to be closer to 35 gallons.

THe one Plec looks to be a common pleco, it's already about 3-4" long. The second pleco is smaller, flatter and fatter. Has a very rounded nose, and has some subtle stripes across it's body. It's noticably different than the big pleco and the one I had before (Yes, when I knew nothing I was sold a pleco for algae control in a 5 gal tank.... "it's a great algae eater for small tanks" she said... but let's not go there)

My only real question is what to do with the goldfish. I know it's really not meant for warm water, and shouldn't be stuck in a 5 gal tank. Like I said, I'm basically stuck with it, and although I don't mind it, I won't be setting up a coldwater tank for it. Do you think it will survive in the 35 gal with the above mentioned fish?

OP
A

amace

<Duplicate post, Mod please delete if you see this, thanks>

OP
A

amace

Also, I've decided on a single Angelfish due to the fact that I don't want to deal with the aggression found with unpaired angelfish. I don't need them fighting with each other, and I don't want a pair to terrorize the rest of the tank. It's not a huge tank, so this could be a concern.

Granted, you all know more about angelfish than me, so if 2 is a good idea, I'll take the consideration, but I"m also at the same time, not wanting to buy 6 and hoping to get a pair.

ETAMH

Take the goldfish to your local pet shop and tell him your story I'm sure he will do you a trade on it as for pairing angels as long as you have a male and female one its easy to pair them off just get a picture of another male and hold it in front of the tank like its swimming the other male will start to show up trying to get the females attention in no time

OP
A

amace

I'll try that then. I'll also see if they'd take back the pleco (Doubt it, it's quite a bit larger than any plecos they sell)

genie

Well Known
Hi, welcome to the forum. I read what you have in your 5 gallon and I know it is supposed to be a temporary setup but you need to move those fish out now IMO! Your 5 gallon should only house those neon tetras and nothing else or else the ammonia and nitrates will build up to toxic levels.... even if it was already cycled.

Get some Tetra Safe Start and get the 30 gallon going... that is what I would do. Or re-home the plecos and gold fish asap. The guppies need a new home too... they could go in your 30 gallon but probably not with the angels that you want to get. I love angels by the way.... they are such cool fish. If you get 2 roughly the same size they will be fine together. Its hard to sex them so you may or may not get a male and female but they should get along fine anyway. Also just a friendly piece of advice.... don't believe anything they tell you in the fish store.... research first because most fish store employees know nothing or are extremely misinformed.

OP
A

amace

Hi, welcome to the forum. I read what you have in your 5 gallon and I know it is supposed to be a temporary setup but you need to move those fish out now IMO! Your 5 gallon should only house those neon tetras and nothing else or else the ammonia and nitrates will build up to toxic levels.... even if it was already cycled.
Will do. I contacted a local shop, and they'll take the plecos.
Get some Tetra Safe Start and get the 30 gallon going... that is what I would do.
I've been running it for about 4 days now, using Nutrafin Cycle. You're recommending moving the Plecos immediately?
Or re-home the plecos and gold fish asap. The guppies need a new home too... they could go in your 30 gallon but probably not with the angels that you want to get. I love angels by the way.... they are such cool fish. If you get 2 roughly the same size they will be fine together. Its hard to sex them so you may or may not get a male and female but they should get along fine anyway. [Also just a friendly piece of advice.... don't believe anything they tell you in the fish store.... research first because most fish store employees know nothing or are extremely misinformed.

I hear you on that last bit. I went by a chain store (Petsmart) today just to pick up some supplies, I took a peek at the live fish, they had some angels (one floating) Had the gouramies I was looking at, I asked them about returning live fish, and one said "Wow, 4" for a pleco is huge! It shouldn't get much bigger than that" /facepalm

I can't bring myself to make my purchase there, especially considering there was a dead Angel in the tank, who knows how long it's been there for.

genie

Well Known
Um... I think you could wait on the Pleco if it is in the 30 gallon but plecos poop a lot... like really a lot even the small ones. If it were my tank the Plecos and the Goldfish would be gone asap.

Also it's been my experience that Cycle does nothing except make your cycle take longer because as soon as you stop using it, you get a minI cycle. I have however had great experiences with Tetra Safe Start.... Its really the best bio-booster on the market for freshwater IMO. If you can't find it locally, you can get it on Amazon.com.

And I told you they were idiots at the LFS....lol "4 inches is huge".... yeah right buddy.

ETAMH

4" max hmmm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 408

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
tfreema
  • Question
Replies
Views
LightBrownPillow
Replies
Views
Bry
Replies
Views
jake37

Did You Know...

The article section is comprised of articles written by your fellow FishLore members on a range of aquarium topics. Check them out below:
Aquarium Articles

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom