30 gal betta sorority tank?

1. turtlef1sh

turtlef1sh Valued Member Member

Hello Fishlorers, I currently have an empty 30 gallon tank that I would like to turn into a planted tank. I have never done live plants before in my 10 years of fishkeeping. I would like to have a betta sorority or maybe dwarf puffers. I have everything needed to set it up i.e heater, filter etc. but I just need the supplies for the live plants and of course the plants themselves! What is a good size number of female bettas (no males) for a sorority in that size tank? I have read other sources and have gotten 25-30 from most people but that is way too expensive and I feel that it wouldnt be comfortable for that many. But if I go the puffer route how many could i house? And for either way I go what kind of tankmates could I have? And what would be the best, plants for this set up?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want my first planted tank to be successful. Thanks!

2. s

superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

I'd do 9 to 13 girls with tons of decor and plants and a Bristlenose pleco or similar bottom dweller.

3. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

7 is the minimum for a sorority, up to 20 should be ok. Remember that the more girls, the more aggression is spread out. I would get some ghost shrimp and a BN pleco as tank mates, you really can't have anything else.

4. OP
    OP
    turtlef1sh

turtlef1sh Valued Member Member

Thanks Flowingfins I plan on about 13 females and an albino bn pleco maybe a few shrimp too. As for plants i am thinking about a few amazon swords, moneywort, a single anubias and 2 water wisterias