30 gal betta sorority tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by I'm not Fish-ist, Jun 23, 2016.

1. I'm not Fish-ist

I'm not Fish-ist Valued Member Member

Hello Fishlorers, I currently have an empty 30 gallon tank that I would like to turn into a planted tank. I have never done live plants before in my 10 years of fishkeeping. I would like to have a betta sorority or maybe dwarf puffers. I have everything needed to set it up i.e heater, filter etc. but I just need the supplies for the live plants and of course the plants themselves! What is a good size number of female bettas (no males) for a sorority in that size tank? I have read other sources and have gotten 25-30 from most people but that is way too expensive and I feel that it wouldnt be comfortable for that many. But if I go the puffer route how many could i house? And for either way I go what kind of tankmates could I have? And what would be the best, plants for this set up?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want my first planted tank to be successful. Thanks!

2. s

superbutterfly12 Well Known Member Member

I'd do 9 to 13 girls with tons of decor and plants and a Bristlenose pleco or similar bottom dweller.

3. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

7 is the minimum for a sorority, up to 20 should be ok. Remember that the more girls, the more aggression is spread out. I would get some ghost shrimp and a BN pleco as tank mates, you really can't have anything else.

4. OP
    OP
    I'm not Fish-ist

I'm not Fish-ist Valued Member Member

Thanks Flowingfins I plan on about 13 females and an albino bn pleco maybe a few shrimp too. As for plants i am thinking about a few amazon swords, moneywort, a single anubias and 2 water wisterias

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice