30 G Community Stocking

melanie34

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm just looking for some ideas to add to our 30 gallon community! Here is what we have already:

2 Cory catfish (we had four but two died)
1 small Chinese algae eater (he’s super little right now, but we’ll move him depending on how big/aggressive he gets later)
9 cardinal tetras

I'm thinking maybe another school, or a couple gouramis

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would bring your school of corys to 6
Edit: I would also rehome the CAE sooner than later from what i've heard they do get bigger and become bullies but every fish is different. I'de get a rubberlip pleco or Maybe a Bristlenose depending on which one is more temp. compatible to the temp. You keep your tank at.

OP
M

melanie34

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
I would bring your school of corys to 6
I think I might leave them for now... the two of them seem to be doing well and we’ve had them for quite a while so the ones I would buy would be significantly smaller then them.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
If you want gouramis in a 30 gallon, I would suggest honey gourami. They're extremely peaceful and can live in harmony with other honey gouramis (males can live peacefully with each other).

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
melanie34 said:
Oh, why not?
They can be aggressive to other tank mates. But the main reason why I never recommend anyone on dwarf gouramis (doesn't matter what color variants) is that they are prone to an incurable disease known as iridovirus.

wrs2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Honey GouramI are much better choices, so I agree. Sparkling GouramI are also a great choice.
Also, please don't leave the cory cats at just two. They feel more secure in groups. Also what type of Cory cats? The gouramI may not be temperature compatible depending on the type of cory cats.

Otocinclus13

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
If you're really interested in the powder blue dwarf gouramI and you live anywhere near Seattle, Washington (long shot, but just in case) there's a store that regularly stocks female powder blues. They're much more community friendly than the males. You could maybe find them online as well. Still have to deal with the iridovirus, but to some people the fish are worth the risk.

OP
M

melanie34

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Otocinclus13 said:
If you're really interested in the powder blue dwarf gouramI and you live anywhere near Seattle, Washington (long shot, but just in case) there's a store that regularly stocks female powder blues. They're much more community friendly than the males. You could maybe find them online as well. Still have to deal with the iridovirus, but to some people the fish are worth the risk.
Crispii said:
They can be aggressive to other tank mates. But the main reason why I never recommend anyone on dwarf gouramis (doesn't matter what color variants) is that they are prone to an incurable disease known as iridovirus.
Oh okay I didn’t know that. I have had them before though and haven’t had a problem with aggression.

OP
M

melanie34

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wrs2 said:
Honey GouramI are much better choices, so I agree. Sparkling GouramI are also a great choice.
Also, please don't leave the cory cats at just two. They feel more secure in groups. Also what type of Cory cats? The gouramI may not be temperature compatible depending on the type of cory cats.
They are albinos. My only thing is I’m not sure how it would go to add smaller ones of the same species, if the two I have would sort of keep to each other since they have been together for so long and not be a part of a school with the others, but I guess that’s just me I don’t know.

OP
M

melanie34

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Otocinclus13 said:
I live in Canada haha! But yes I was planning on trying to find some females for that reason.

wrs2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
melanie34 said:
They are albinos. My only thing is I’m not sure how it would go to add smaller ones of the same species, if the two I have would sort of keep to each other since they have been together for so long and not be a part of a school with the others, but I guess that’s just me I don’t know.
That honestly has nothing to do with anything. They will still school with other corys of the same type, regardless of size.

OP
M

melanie34

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
wrs2 said:
That honestly has nothing to do with anything. They will still school with other corys of the same type, regardless of size.
Ok good to know

OP
M

melanie34

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So where I am now is I might go get a few more albino Cory’s, and I don’t know if I want honey gouramis but I’ll stay away from the dwarf ones just in case. I’m still thinking about another school though. Any ideas?

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Otocinclus13 said:
Isn't that store Aquarium Co-Op?

New Threads