30 G Community Stocking

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by melanie34, May 25, 2019.

1. melanie34 New Member Member

Im just looking for some ideas to add to our 30 gallon community! Here is what we have already:

2 Cory catfish (we had four but two died)
    1 small Chinese algae eater (he’s super little right now, but we’ll move him depending on how big/aggressive he gets later)
    9 cardinal tetras

Im thinking maybe another school, or a couple gouramis

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  2. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

I would bring your school of corys to 6
    Edit: I would also rehome the CAE sooner than later from what i've heard they do get bigger and become bullies but every fish is different. I'de get a rubberlip pleco or Maybe a Bristlenose depending on which one is more temp. compatible to the temp. You keep your tank at.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  3. melanie34 New Member Member

I think I might leave them for now... the two of them seem to be doing well and we’ve had them for quite a while so the ones I would buy would be significantly smaller then them.

4. Crispii Well Known Member Member

If you want gouramis in a 30 gallon, I would suggest honey gourami. They're extremely peaceful and can live in harmony with other honey gouramis (males can live peacefully with each other).

5. melanie34 New Member Member

Thank you, I was thinking about them or maybe the powder blue dwarfs.

6. Crispii Well Known Member Member

I don't recommend powder blue dwarf gouramis.

7. melanie34 New Member Member

Oh, why not?

8. Crispii Well Known Member Member

They can be aggressive to other tank mates. But the main reason why I never recommend anyone on dwarf gouramis (doesn't matter what color variants) is that they are prone to an incurable disease known as iridovirus.

9. wrs2 Well Known Member Member

Honey Gourami are much better choices, so I agree. Sparkling Gourami are also a great choice.
    Also, please don't leave the cory cats at just two. They feel more secure in groups. Also what type of Cory cats? The gourami may not be temperature compatible depending on the type of cory cats.

10. Otocinclus13 Valued Member Member

If you're really interested in the powder blue dwarf gourami and you live anywhere near Seattle, Washington (long shot, but just in case) there's a store that regularly stocks female powder blues. They're much more community friendly than the males. You could maybe find them online as well. Still have to deal with the iridovirus, but to some people the fish are worth the risk.

11. melanie34 New Member Member

Oh okay I didn’t know that. I have had them before though and haven’t had a problem with aggression.

12. melanie34 New Member Member

They are albinos. My only thing is I’m not sure how it would go to add smaller ones of the same species, if the two I have would sort of keep to each other since they have been together for so long and not be a part of a school with the others, but I guess that’s just me I don’t know.

13. melanie34 New Member Member

I live in Canada haha! But yes I was planning on trying to find some females for that reason.

14. wrs2 Well Known Member Member

That honestly has nothing to do with anything. They will still school with other corys of the same type, regardless of size.

15. melanie34 New Member Member

Ok good to know

16. melanie34 New Member Member

So where I am now is I might go get a few more albino Cory’s, and I don’t know if I want honey gouramis but I’ll stay away from the dwarf ones just in case. I’m still thinking about another school though. Any ideas?

17. Crispii Well Known Member Member

Isn't that store Aquarium Co-Op?

18. Otocinclus13 Valued Member Member

Yup!