3 Year Old Dumped Whole Container Of Food In Tank

Chantellywray
I did just about a while tank water change twice now with my rock vac but the water is still cloudy. I don't have the money for all the good bacteria supplements and other things. Is there anything else I can do?

Aqua 59
I don't know- what kind of food was it and how much was in the container? Also, what fish/inverts are in your aquarium?

CanadianFishFan
Welcome to Fishlore! Tank size? Tank stocking? Filter?

Chantellywray
It was 1 oz tropical flakes I have a guppy a sunburst something and two skirttail tetras. Its a ten gallon tank.

And thanks for the welcome my 7 year old is terrified they will die.

CanadianFishFan
Id do a %50 water change? Maybe more... This will cause a Ammonia spike in your tank.

ystrout
Hi,

Don't stress. Just do a few water changes. Vacuum the gravel until no gunk comes up. Do 30-50% water change, fill with water, then do another water change until you're not sucking up food anymore. Then rinse the filter sponge out with tank water.

Don't forget to de-chlorinate the water before you put it in!

Chantellywray
Should I continue to do that even if I already have done that yesterday and day before.

ystrout
Is gunk still coming out of teh gravel? If so, yes...

If the gravel is clean, you're good to go. Just rinse the filter sponge out (with tank water).

Test the water parameters. If ammonia or nitrite are present, dose the tank with Prime until your beneficial bacteria consumes the compounds.

Mcasella
Yes, continue doing water change - the water changes will not hurt the fish. You can do several a day as you need to.

Chantellywray
I don't know what all of that means. But yes there is still gunk in the gravel. How do I test for all of things. We bought the tank a few months ago for my daughter the pet store said we were all set when we asked what all we needed other thanthe starter kit.

I am researching now because I don't undestand all of those terms and how I would go about doing it. Pet store didnt rell me I would need to.

Solaire
Id get out about 50 percent of the water in a bucket, then scoop out as much gravel as you can into the bucket and rinse it with your hands and gently add it back to the tank

Make sure to get as much of tbe food and debris out while the gravel is out... Id use a net.

Once the gravel is clean do frequent water changes till the water is clear

Also once the water is clear do a 30 to 50 percent water change every day to prevent an ammonia spike.

Mcasella
Id get out about 50 percent of the water in a bucket, then scoop out as much gravel as you can into the bucket and rinse it with your hands and gently add it back to the tank

Make sure to get as much of tbe food and debris out while the gravel is out... Id use a net.

Once the gravel is clean do frequent water changes till the water is clear

Also once the water is clear do a 30 to 50 percent water change every day to prevent an ammonia spike.
Removing the gravel will stir up everything into the water and negate what you were trying to do. Gravel vacs are going to work much better than taking the gravel out.

Solaire
Removing the gravel will stir up everything into the water and negate what you were trying to do. Gravel vacs are going to work much better than taking the gravel out.

Ive had a similar situation with my 2 year old in one of my tanks and I promise this is the best way... He will be spending a while pulling out debris but this is the fastest way to clear his water. Aside from emptying his tank and rinsing the whole thing and starting over. If he pulls it all out and keeps doing water changes it won't negate anything

jdhef
I don't know what all of that means. But yes there is still gunk in the gravel. How do I test for all of things. We bought the tank a few months ago for my daughter the pet store said we were all set when we asked what all we needed other thanthe starter kit.

I am researching now because I don't undestand all of those terms and how I would go about doing it. Pet store didnt rell me I would need to.

Welcome to FishLore!

Could you be more specific on what terms you don't understand? That we can explain them to you. And don't feel like your stupid for asking, everybody here was a beginner at one time. It is thru asking questions (the easy way) and making mistakes (the hard way) that we learn.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
WillyNilly
Replies
Views
Jaysee
Replies
Views
Aquarist
Replies