3 y/o Son fed fish... the whole can of flakes.

Treefork

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well my son dumped the whole can of flake food in my daughters 10 gallon tank yesterday while I was at work for 12 hours. Luckily I still had another 10 gallon cycled tank up from upgrading my cory cats tank to 29 finally last weekend. My wife netted the fish out and put them in the other tank. Unfortunately I've had to work 12 hours almost every day this week. I took the filter out and put it on the other tank. I'm going to have to change the water this weekend but I think I'll have to re-cycle the tank. What do you think?

rae64

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you got the filter moved, I think you are likely pretty safe. Just keep an eye on the parameters, and make sure you have some Prime on hand in case you need to do some emergency water changes.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh what a mess! Don't you love when kids help! lol
Are you running both filters in your 10g? How did you keep your 10 gallon cycled for the week?

My point is, if there were no fish in your 10g, it would have probably lost it's cycle by now. So, you would only have one cycled filter (your daughter's)

OP
Treefork

Treefork

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ah didn't think of that. Yeah I have two filters going on my 10 gallon, my daughters and the other. The only thing in the 10 gallon is a snail infestation. I think it had been about 4 days since it had fish in it. Might still be ok. Fish seem ok in it today. I want to set her tank back up but I have to clean the substrate, she wants pink rocks anyway so I might just dump it all. (It's half gravel/half sand split up in the middle with a few well place rocks) If I use my cycled filters would it be ok you think to just reset up the tank?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Snails produce waste, so they might have kept the filter cycled, at least partially.

kcarmartinez

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My 6yo did this to me. I was scheduled to be home 45 minutes later (which he knows we never got out on time) so my husband just left it for me! He doesn't understand fishkeeping at all. You are lucky to have a wife who thought to take the fish out....
I think if you moved your filter from your daughters tank to the 10G it should have stayed cycled and you will probably be fine when you change the gravel.

OP
Treefork

Treefork

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh my wife has little interest in my fishkeeping beyond looking at them when she's on the couch feeding the baby. She called me and told me what happened and I said turn everything off and net the fish and put them in the other 10 gallon. She said... "Uhhh... what?" So I reiterated, please net them or all your daughters fish will die. I called back when I was able (several hours later) and she had netted them and transfered them. Might be some fish-hope for her yet.

OP
Treefork

Treefork

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just thought too, I have a cycled sponge filter in my 29 gallon I use for a little extra cleansing. If it gets crazy in there I can pop that in the 10 gallon for a while after I set it back up.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Treefork said:
I just thought too, I have a cycled sponge filter in my 29 gallon I use for a little extra cleansing. If it gets crazy in there I can pop that in the 10 gallon for a while after I set it back up.

New Threads