3 Weeks Without Water Change Question

Discussion in 'Water Changes' started by hjack9090, Apr 21, 2018.

1. hjack9090Valued MemberMember

Would it be okay if I want 3 weeks without a water change? I currently have a large amount of school work which is due soon. I'm thinking of just adding some prime and then doing a flush at the end of the week. Would this be okay?

2. Sam2671

Sam2671Valued MemberMember

Depends on the stocking you have and size tank. Sometimes when a big tank is under stocked, delaying a water change doesn’t cause any harm but if you have a fully stocked tank the waste will build up greatly.

Doing tiny water changes every other day, spreading your water change over the week, could work.

I do a vacuum of a different section of the tank every 3-4 days instead of big water changes at the end of the week. I change a bucket of water which calculates as around 5% wc each time and I’ve never had problems, parameters stay stable and fish are good

3. Gadfly

GadflyValued MemberMember

I’ve gone two weeks without problems. Not sure what a flush means.

As a time saver while you get through the heavy work load consider topping off the tank weekly and rinsing out the sponges/filter if you use them. If your bio load isn’t crazy you could manage three weeks I believe.

4. Mary765

Mary765Well Known MemberMember

I'm also studying hard right now and finding it hard to fit my schedule in.

What I have had for a while for different reasons but coincidentally solves this issue too is nitrate crystals. They promote the creation of nitrate eating bacteria and thus your water stays nitrate free after a month if the crystals being in the tank.

It's more of a long term solution than a short one but definitely worth considering. I use Orca Nirta-guard as its the most reputable and proved brand out there!

5. Fashooga

FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

It will work as long as you cut back on the feeding.

When I went to Hong Kong for three weeks I told my brother in law to only feed the fish twice a week. This helps reduce waste which reduces ammonia.

When I returned the tank lost some water but was still working just fine. So minor adjustments in feeding is all you need to do to survive three weeks.

6. OP
    OP
    h

hjack9090Valued MemberMember

A flush is when you remove 50%, add 50% and repeat until you have, in theory, replaced all of the tanks water

My tank is pretty over stocked, with 6 goldfish (single tail) and 8 bronze cories in a measly 29 gall. I'm currently looking into upgrading my tank. I know a pond would be best for the goldies but that's not really an option for me. Rehoming is also out of the picture as they are mostly feeder goldies. I do have a 75 gallon filter, which should be able to handle the bio for now.looking into getting a separate 20 gallon for the cories. I like the idea of doing a few small changes every few days, I'll try to fit that into my schedule.

That's actually a pretty good idea, I'll give it a shot

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2018
  7. OP
    OP
    h

hjack9090Valued MemberMember

That does sound like a solid idea, but they might cost too much for my tank budget. If they're like 20 a pop I'll give it a shot, but any more wont work for me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice