3 weeks - no ammonia

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi all-

I set up my latest tank (75 gallon) on 7/3/06. I added 2 danios and 5 white clouds on 7/10/06. I have been overfeeding them and as of today still have no ammonia, nitrate, or nitrate readings. Today I added 5 tiger barbs to help with the cycle. I know some don't like cycling with fish but I had great luck with my 1st tank and lost no fish. I am trying to use the heartiest of fish and plan on keeping them upon cycle completion. My last tank (55 gal) cycled in 6 weeks using the same procedure. My question is shouldn't there be some ammonia readings by now? Is there anything else I can do to help. Will the tiger barbs help? I have done no water changes yet. Tank is crystal clear and appears very clean. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Your cycle will probably be very slow because of the small amount of fish in a large tank. The addition of the barbs will help. I would not add anymore fish, and just wait it out with what you already have.

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ok gunnie thank-u..Also in this say tank i put natural color smallstones as gravel and there is an orange somethink attaching to gravel and wood decoration and some plants. It kinda has an iron look to it. it has started in sections. the pebbles are being ruined by this ugly color It almost looks like an oxidation rust takeover..Please help if you can

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
it is a normal new tank thing and will go away or if it really disturbs you, you can vacuum or siphon it out. You may also notice some of it on the walls of your tank, Just wipe it off with a soft cloth or aquarium sponge (not a kitchen sponge as they contain additives harmful to fish).

Welcome to fishlore!

Rose

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
OK Thank-you...I copied this tank identical to 1st (as far as substrate and decor) and I did not see this happen in it. The tank is still cycling, Would a water change slow anything...alll readings are still at zero...

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Doubtful a water change would do anything but you could try it. I believe the diatoms are feeding on the excess silicates found in new tanks, and subside as the supply diminishes. I have been through this period with many of my tanks so don't get discouraged. I know it's very ugly, but it will pass.

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Boy it is getting worse everyday and has gotten on my no-fishin sign and has turned one of my artificial green plants brown...Is this still a normal occurence...Thanks in advance

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep.  Very normal.  Brown algae is really not a true algae, and once your tank has aged some, you will wake up one morning, and the tank will be crystal clear and the diatoms will be gone!    You can also try increasing the light a couple of extra hours each day. They don't like light much.

chipster55

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks Gunnie...I do not doubt what you are telling me. I bought 5 tiger barbs. One is missing and one has passed...I am assuming the missing one met the same fate however I cannot find him...There is no openings in my filter intake big enough to lose a fish and very little openings in top of tank..I checked outside tank but no success. Is there any way that this algae could be responsible....I have the 5 white clouds and 2 danios and the other 3 tiger barbs seem perfectly fine...There still is no ammonia, nitrite or nitrate readings...All fish had good color and movement and appetite so this is a mystery to me...Anything you could tell me would be greatly appreciated...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom