3 Tiger Barbs, 2 "Strawberry Barbs" Small Pleco

1. Barb989 Initiate Member

So i'm new to fish keeping i just purchased a 10 gallon top fin starter kit to get me started. I'm about to buy a bigger tank since i have grown to really enjoy this hobby. I have had my tank for a little over one week and the water is a little milky i'm not sure if that's normal. anyway i have 3 tiger barbs 2 strawberry barbs and a pleco. I have a few questions

1. Is it normal to have cloudy water
    2. Are my "strawberry" Barbs Dyed
    3. How long do i have till my pleco is to big for my tank, and was it a bad decision to put him in a new tank
    4.I would like to put some live plants in my tank, i have gravel substrate, what kind of plants can i use?

thank you
    P.s I attached a picture i know the sponge bob stuff is childish but it was cheap so don't hate lol

Attached Files:

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Hahahaha, I'm watching Spongebob right now XD

1) The cloudy water is the ammonia-consuming bacteria trying to take hold. Have you been doing daily water changes since you set the tank up? If not, you need to look up the Nitrogen Cycle (that should actually be underlined, and you can click on it :))

2) Its hard to say. A clear, close up picture would help.

3) Its a common? If so, a few months. But the sooner you upgrade, the better. Your Barbs will appreciate it, as well :)

4) Any! Live plants are fun :)

3. pawlmawl Initiate Member

I don't know much so I won't answer any of those questions but I like your tank it looks awesome the two gravel colors meeting was a good idea.

4. nuc99705 Initiate Member

I am new to this to but for plants I use Water Wisteria, some bamboo, and Amazon Sword. I really like the Water Wisteria, and bamboo. I have a gravel substrate and they are doing well. Keep them fed with some macronutrients. Micronutrients are provided by your aquarium if you set it up right

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Bamboo has to have its leaves exposed to air, otherwise it will rot and cause more trouble than good. A lot of people build baskets out of of sewing craft mesh, and put their bamboo in there.

6. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Unfortunetly your tank is much to small for any of your fish. The pleco should be upgrade now. As in right now. The cherry barbs ill assume are the red tiger barbs in the tank? Until you upgrade a weekly or twice weekly 50% water change is in store. Upgrade ASAP.

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

You did a nice job designing that tank.

Now for the bad, your fish will soon outgrow that tank. The pleco can reach up to 18+ inches in length. If you like the look of that fish, might I recommend a bushy nose or a rubber lip.

The strawberry barbs do look dyed to me as they don't seem to have the normal shape of cherry barbs.

The cloudy water is as mentioned a bacterial bloom and will clear up in time. Please give it a chance to do its thing and don't beat it up with water clarifiers.

Plants are fantastic in any tank and I highly recommend them to all. Not on,you do they, look great, provide sore hiding places for the fish to hide, but it also helps with nutrient removal.

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Thats because they're Tiger Barbs. ;)

However, they don't look dyed. They look natural. Their eyes are of a normal color, and I've seen others online with black markings.

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Tigers come in roughly 8-10 color morphs now that ive heard of :p this is one of them

10. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

I still think the original TB colour is the nicest. But I would still love to have albnio, and green ;)

11. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Albino, green, redbrest, black, original, strawbery, multi, oreo, etch etch.

12. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Well after some digging around I will fully agree with the rest the red is definitely a color morph of the tiger barbs.

13. Kent799 Initiate Member

They really have Strawberry Tiger Barbs now? lol I have the Tiger, Green Tiger and Albino Tiger and I love them! I'm sticking to those three.

Like everyone has said before you really need to get a bigger tank and your Tiger Barbs should be kept in groups of at least 5. They are semi-aggressive and if kept in groups of less than 5, you can have some problems. As I was doing my Barb tank, my experience with Barbs is the more the better.

As for the tank being cloudy, I agree with whoever said just let the tank do it's thing. You'd be surprised what the tank can accomplish without you adding chemicals into it.

14. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

How are you cycling this tank?

Aside from the tank being too small and poorly stocked, it's also a toxic environment for your fish until cycled.

Do you have a test kit? We need to know the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Tanks take approximately 4-6 weeks to cycle.

15. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Tiger barbs are hybridized with other barbs to achieve the different color variations. The regular, green and albino are the only true tiger barb color morphs.

16. Barb989 Initiate Member

My ammonia level is 1.5ppm nitrite and nitrate are both at 0

17. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Your ammonia level is extremely toxic. You will have to do multiple 50% water changes in order to get that down. Like immediately.

18. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

Your red tiger barbs are probably rosy barb hybrids.

Unfortunately that means that you are at the very beginning of the cycling process. Since the fish are not really suited to your tank size, I highly suggest returning them and either doing a fishless cycle or get a few small, peaceful fish and a bottle of Tetra safe start. The path you are currently on is not a smooth one.

I would do a complete water change - down to an inch or two of water - in the meantime.

19. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

I suggest 50% daily water changes till you achieve 0 amm, 0 nitrite, <20 nitrates. Use a good conditioner like Prime.

20. Barb989 Initiate Member

i did 50% water change today i will continue doing so. I am using conditioner, is there any thing else i should be using? two of my tiger barbs have passed and the one that is left isn't eating.I feel really bad about that and will research before i make future purchases. The two Strawberry barbs are as lively as ever though. Aquariums are alot more work then i imagined and there is alot of things to learn. But i am already addicted. Thank you ever body for helping me fix my stupid "noob" Mistakes