3 Things Help

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Oliver T., Apr 16, 2018.

1. Oliver T.

Oliver T. Valued Member Member

3 things, ive suddenly got black algae growing on my bamboo, how do i get rid of it? Second, how do i make these pest snails go away? Thirdly, how do i make my silver dollars not be so shy? IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0105.JPG IMG_0106.JPG

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

How did you get the snails? Didn’t you buy them? Why do you want to get rid of them?

How long ago did you get your silver dollars? Did you add anything new to the tank?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  3. JamieXPXP

JamieXPXP Well Known Member Member

they most likely got the snails with some plants since they look like bladder snails. you can pick out whatever snails you see and crush them or something, or you can put them in a separate container or tank to sell or give to someone who has fish that likes to eat snails.

4. Iverg1

Bad news you got black beard algae you want to cut off all the leaves that have the algae on them,vacuum gravel, clean everything, black algae thrives in low CO2 levels so make sure they are consistent and high if you have a chinease algae eater he’ll get rid of the algae maybe the snails can get rid of it lol

5. OP
    OP
    Oliver T.

im thinking of buying a chinese algae eater, also i picked up these silverdollars for free, which have terrible fin rot and got ich (which thankfully i cured) but they are so shy and wont dare to come out from the back of the tank (i have 3 of them) Also, the snails look ugly and are over running my tank, ive heard of something called an assassin snail which eats other snails, is there such a thing?

6. JamieXPXP

yep assassin snails will also work to get rid of other snails...i forgot about them lol.
    i wouldnt get a chinese algae eater as they wont eat algae when they get older and will eat the slime coat off of other fish

7. OP
    OP
    Oliver T.

can i buy them young? is there no other way to get rid of bba?

is there any sort of algae solution that removes algae?

8. Iverg1

For silver dollars give them time sounds like you just got them their probably scared from a whole new place with other fish and weird algae two-4 weeks might be good for them

9. OP
    OP
    Oliver T.

ive had them for 4 months

10. JamieXPXP

you can buy them young but then will have to get rid of them once they get older and keep an eye on them. you can spot treat the bba with excel

11. OP
    OP
    Oliver T.

btw how do i cure serious fin rot? my silverdollars fins look super thin and they look rotted, also they are almost completely missing some fins

Attached Files:

12. Lunnietic

Lunnietic Well Known Member Member

Bamboo isn't suppose to be fully emerged in the water. If I am correct at least a 1/4 of it is suppose to be above.

Snails can help to remove some of the algae.

What is the tank size?

13. OP
    OP
    Oliver T.

40 gal

btw, do any of you know a plant that acts like a carpet and spreads across the sand?

14. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

There are several. Dwarf hair grass is one. Just search carpeting aquarium plants on Google.

15. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

If you don't have a Co2 system, make sure the plant you like doesn't require it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice