3 Things I want to say

Lucy
I know this is all covered in the Beginners section, but I'm tired......I washed cars all morning in the hot sun for a fund raiser and I'm feeling a bit crabby (haha), but I want to say 3 things.

1. Research your fish before you buy, provide what they need, not what you want.
  2. Cycle your tank before adding fish.
  3. Quarantine any new inhabitants before adding them to your tank.

Thank you for reading, now I'm going take a nap.

Martinismommy
While you're napping Lucy I'll step in and say those 3 things are very important to a positive outcome in fishkeeping...Problems will still arise as that is just a fact of life but starting off on the right foot can make the difference between sucess and failure....

Beacuse I'm a Bettaholic I'll share this slide show that demonstrates what a happy healthy Betta is supposed to look like...In order to acheive this you MUST start with a cycled filtered, heated aquarium at least 2 1/2 gallons and 5 gallons being the ideal size....

Click the link to see my boys:

Angelika
oh wow look at his tail.... quite impressive...and so beautiful!

Devon
It's sad how many people don't do the research needed before they go out and get their fish... and it would save them so much time and effort, and their little fishes so much pain and turmoil, if only they would.

Wow, every single one of your bettas look just amazing... very beautiful (and happy looking!) Congrats on all your hard work, it really paid off with those boys.

Alessa
seriously, I don't want to sound rude to anyone but, do you guys know how many times this week i've said: "do you know abt the nitrogen cycle?" "your tank is overstocked" "you need to condition your water" "50% daily water changes until your tank is cycled"

I agree with lucy, research needs to be done, and it is ok to ask questions if you don't know what you should do... but if after all that you still don't do what you're supposed to and stock an uncycled 10 gal with 1 common pleco, 2 arrowanas, 1 oscar 3 goldies, and 50 platies....

Butterfly
seriously, I don't want to sound rude to anyone but, do you guys know how many times this week i've said: "do you know abt the nitrogen cycle?" "your tank is overstocked" "you need to condition your water" "50% daily water changes until your tank is cycled"

I agree with lucy, research needs to be done, and it is ok to ask questions if you don't know what you should do... but if after all that you still don't do what you're supposed to and stock an uncycled 10 gal with 1 common pleco, 2 arrowanas, 1 oscar 3 goldies, and 50 platies....

I just woke up from a nap so I hope I don't sound crabby Welcome to the real world. there's always going to be somebody who buys fish they haven't researched and then put them into an inappropriate size tank that's not cycled. All that to say- I do so appreciate all of our knowledgeable members (not just Mods) stepping into the breach and saying those things so patiently over and over. The only time I mind doing so is when someone asks then acts insulted when they get answers they don't want or continue on in their ways to the detriment of their fish.
Good topic Lucy. Thanks.
Carol

Alessa
I just woke up from a nap so I hope I don't sound crabby Welcome to the real world. there's always going to be somebody who buys fish they haven't researched and then put them into an inappropriate size tank that's not cycled. All that to say- I do so appreciate all of our knowledgeable members (not just Mods) stepping into the breach and saying those things so patiently over and over. The only time I mind doing so is when someone asks then acts insulted when they get answers they don't want or continue on in their ways to the detriment of their fish.
Good topic Lucy. Thanks.
Carol

...that's the kind I have gotten that bothers me as well... not that they acted insulted but they did sound like "ok, yeah whatever, you're making too much a big deal out of it so I'll still do what I was gonna do and I know my arrowanas will be just fine".

I love when someone that knows nothing comes, asks questions and then DO the right thing... don't really mind repeating myself all over when it is worth it like in these cases

Butterfly
Yeah it's really cool when you try to help someone and you can almost see the light of understanding come on and they go on to get MTS and love their fish. Yep very rewarding
Carol

JasperII
Your Bettas in your video are beautiful. And they look and act so happy and healthy. I really enjoyed watching them.

I don't ask a lot of questions but I do a lot of reading and I appreciate the ones that do ask because I learn from them (and books). And YOU all. Thanks for being there. I think you do get through to people most of the time.

Lucy
I do apologize though, I wasn't directing this at anyone.
I'm far from an expert and really enjoy sharing what I've learned and I learn new things everyday.

I don't want anyone who happens upon this thread to be afraid to ask as many questions as they need to resolve whatever has brought them to Fish Lore.

The important thing is to learn from our mistakes and try our best not to repeat them.

By the way, I had a nice nap.

Butterfly
Angelika
well I have to admit to being one of the losers you guys are beating up on..... and unfortunately yes it would be smart to research beforehand, but sometimes people don't realise what they are getting into until they do, and then we come looking for knowledgable people as yourselves to help and give us advice so we can climb to the ranks of being a little more knowledgeable and if I hadn't readnt read 3 or more posts in the beginning about "do you know the nitrogen cycle' I wouldnt be sitting here a little more educated than I was when I stumbled on fishlore in need of help to look after my fish. So for the newbies around here, we may irritate you with our stupidity and ignorance but we value your help and guidance, and hopefully many of us will learn and not mess up to cause problems for our new fish friends.

Lucy
Oh no no!!! You misunderstand, no one called anyone names, we all came to Fish Lore knowing little or nothing about fish.

I stumbled upon it while researching fish and not because I knew I should, I just wanted to look at the pretty colors. lol

If you look back on my threads, you'll see, I've asked as many questions as any one.

I had a terrible time understanding the nitrogen cycle, I read it over and over and still posted questions about it.

So please, don't take this personally, it really wasn't meant to put down anyone trying to learn the right way to do things.

Mods...if you want to delete this thread, feel free, I don't want it to get ugly or make anyone feel bad.

pepetj
The help I've received in fishlore is impossible to measure. I was lucky to find this site before going back into fishkeeping. Thanks to your advice, I have cycled (fishless) three tanks -10g, 5.5g, 29 gallon bow, and right now on my way of #4 (4 days in Nitrite Spike!) 145g, and #5 (seeding the filter, waiting for the stand -color changed) 40g; and #6 (still paying for it) 55g, I began seeding the filter today! Not to mention learning to enjoy constant maintenance, and feeling your company through all the process -from brainstorming, to set-up, to aquascaping, to stocking, acclimating... and developing MTS!

I have made -and probably will make- a lot of mistakes, even with all your help and the research I do. But I learn as I go, and I'm sure you have prevented me from disaster-prone ones.

I have my list of casualties: I have lost 3 Apple Snails (1 was dead on arrival, doesn't count; 1 died of old age -was 4"+, 1 died from a close encounter with a young Tiguer Oscar -walked on him/her while the Oscar was sleeping and bang!, 1 dissapeared two days ago, not to be found, yet); 1 pregnant female Fancy Guppy (unknown cause, within 24hrs of arrival); 1 young Zebra Danio Glofish (casualty of a young but fierceful Convict Cichlid). Not to mention 2 Anubias AfzillI I lost due to rhyzome buried in substrate, and a Giant Baby Tears the Apple Snails devoured -managed to save it, though!

You have provided me company in moments of distress -when Moon, my Tiguer Oscar "was about to die" (what I thought) but it was only big time stress.

I have laughed at things shared around here (Eat my fish? Drink water from the tank? Do fish fart?).

Or even become really mad with careless people from LFS to irresponsible pseudo-fishkeepers (from the so-called and well-banned thread of "a little experiment" to "advice" given by LFS employees).

And most important... I can practice and enjoy being patient, because I have your company, and the sharing of your experience in "enjoying the process". In fishlore, instead of "mI casa es su casa" it's more like "my tank is your tank".

Thank you all

Pepe
Santo Domingo

Alessa
well I have to admit to being one of the losers you guys are beating up on..... and unfortunately yes it would be smart to research beforehand, but sometimes people don't realise what they are getting into until they do, and then we come looking for knowledgable people as yourselves to help and give us advice so we can climb to the ranks of being a little more knowledgeable and if I hadn't readnt read 3 or more posts in the beginning about "do you know the nitrogen cycle' I wouldnt be sitting here a little more educated than I was when I stumbled on fishlore in need of help to look after my fish. So for the newbies around here, we may irritate you with our stupidity and ignorance but we value your help and guidance, and hopefully many of us will learn and not mess up to cause problems for our new fish friends.
please don't miss interpret us. I think I didnt express myself well in my first post. we love beginners seeking for help (that's why this super friendly forum was made, thanks mike) and in my personal view I think that people asking questions and seeking for advice are doing something awesome, they are caring for living creatures and trying to learn from their mistakes and getting advice from more experienced people (I was a newby I still consider myself pretty amateur and still have a lot to learn). My personal issue is with people that even once they have received the advice, and researched, stay in denial selfishly doing what they please and not looking after or caring about the well being of their fish.

People like you is what we are actually happy to have in the forum. people that have the desire to learn and are happy to. so please don't misinterpret us, people like you are awesome to have in fishlore and the reason why I log in here, every day.

Lucy
alessa1235 stop saying everything better than I do.

From now on, I'm going to post after you and say..."yeah, what she said."

Butterfly
well I have to admit to being one of the losers you guys are beating up on.....

Nobody is beating up on anyone (sorry if you misunderstood). You are not a loser, you have been reading and learning and you care what happens to your fish.
So for the newbies around here, we may irritate you with our stupidity and ignorance but we value your help and guidance, and hopefully many of us will learn and not mess up to cause problems for our new fish friends.
You don't irritate us in the least with questions, that's what we want. The questions that are asked and acted upon when possible are what makes us come back and answer another question.
You are not stupid or ignorant- you knew enough to ask and read.

Again sorry if you mis-understood.
Carol

Angelika
Thankyou for the responses... I cannot speak for any other newbies but I think I can for many that sit here for endless hours trying to absorb what to do..... as we shake our heads in frustration at our mishaps.... but you guys that offer us endless amounts of advice, tips and explanations time and time again, when I know you all probably feel like you are repeating yourselves day after day with the same answers.... but your experience is invaluable...

I think reading the Nitrogen cycle should be a mandatory intial page, a page that must be read before any new member can even log in , and answered 4 questions on the topic... HAHA... now THAT would ensure we would all know about it... hopefully LOL.

Kyrra

Butterfly
Cool idea Kyrra
Carol

Alessa
alessa1235 stop saying everything better than I do.

From now on, I'm going to post after you and say..."yeah, what she said."

hahaha lol omg lucy....

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BettaPonic
Replies
Views
Donpa
  • Question
Replies
Views