3 spot Gourami suddenly nervous

OJteddy0824

Hi. Writing for advice from the long term Gourami keepers.

My 3 spot Gourami has suddenly become nervous (primarily when I walk past his tank). I've had him for almost a year and this is very new and different behavior than his usual. This has been happening for maybe 2 weeks.. not much longer, but multiple times a day. He use to come up and see me. He'd get close with his feelers if Id put my finger in the tank. And would get excited and swim to the side of tank I was on just to greet me. He was the sweetest. Now he freaks out when I get too close or walk by (I suppose if he isn't anticipating it). He is ok (and not hiding) with his tank mates (10 Rasboras, recently added).. pretty much ignores them. But if he's not hiding, he's just floating in the top corner looking out. He no longer builds his bubble nests (which was a favorite hobby of his) and his color is much paler.
I saw someone else post about the same behavior on a different site and curious if this is an aging thing with some Gouramis or if other ppl are seeing this with their 3 spots? If it is just a temperament thing and he's not sick.. Will he'll snap out of it with time or was this created from him being alone for several months? I also re-aquascape frequently (just the plants and driftwood... Not rocks), but I've always done that. The most noticeable recent changes were the room I have him in was getting A LOT MORE sun. That and the use of thrive fert poss contributed to some brown algae. I corrected the amount of sun coming in to the room and am no longer dosing ferts. I also raised the temp to 80 and am cutting back of his feedings. The algae is gone now... But it poss raised nitrates to about 20. pH is steady at 7.8, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrate currently 5 after water change a few days ago.

The image posted is from the closest thing I could find online... But noone had advice.

Help! He's my favorite!!!

DanielZebra32798

This isnt gourami related exactly, but it is a similar situation. My platy used to be super active until my guppy had fry one day. With this new growth in population, he became more withdrawn and hides frequently now.

jinjerJOSH22

Hi, this is very similar to my own experience with Three Spot's, although mine also became quite aggressive to larger tank mates. I originally had him in a 28 gallon and I thought moving him to a 50 would help but it didn't.
What finally worked was adding him to large group of Three Spot Gourami. Since doing so, he's become so much more outgoing.
I truly believe these fish should be kept in a group, yes, they can be aggressive but they show a lot of social behaviour and seem to form a hierarchy.

OJteddy0824

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Hi, this is very similar to my own experience with Three Spot's, although mine also became quite aggressive to larger tank mates. I originally had him in a 28 gallon and I thought moving him to a 50 would help but it didn't.
What finally worked was adding him to large group of Three Spot Gourami. Since doing so, he's become so much more outgoing.
I truly believe these fish should be kept in a group, yes, they can be aggressive but they show a lot of social behaviour and seem to form a hierarchy.
Thanks. We've had this discussion before about stocking and I was hoping the the small Rasboras group would be peaceful enough to distract him but not cause stress. But he could care less that they are there. I would love to get a few females for him... Maybe this will be what pushes me to take the chance. Any suggestions? All 3 spot... (But ok to have different colors? And how many females? Apx 3?) Will the females fight w each other? Is 50 gallon big enough for 4 Gouramis? Thank you for the note about moving him to a bigger tank and not making a difference... My thoughts would've gone there.

jinjerJOSH22

OJteddy0824 said:
Thanks. We've had this discussion before about stocking and I was hoping the the small Rasboras group would be peaceful enough to distract him but not cause stress. But he could care less that they are there. I would love to get a few females for him... Maybe this will be what pushes me to take the chance. Any suggestions? All 3 spot... (But ok to have different colors? And how many females? Apx 3?) Will the females fight w each other? Is 50 gallon big enough for 4 Gouramis? Thank you for the note about moving him to a bigger tank and not making a difference... My thoughts would've gone there.
You're welcome
A 50 should be fine for a group of 4 or 5 Three Spots(Assuming it's at least 100cm). Colour shouldn't matter, with fish I believe body shape is more important than actual colour and they're all the same species anyhow (Gold, Blue, Lavender, Opaline, Platinum). I always suggest a group of 4, so add 3 or 4 females to him. Now they are and can be just as aggressive as males but some aggression is normal. Just look out for excessive torn fins. Usually the male should take charge and disputes between girls are rarely more than a little chasing (a couple of my girls where lip locking the other day but it has never progressed to anything).

DoubleDutch

jinjerJOSH22 said:
Agree with Josh. I suspect it is a hormon / maturing thing and they get frustrated cause there is no co.pany of their own species.

BTW : One of the reasons I always say I hate keeping certain fish alone / single.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom