3 shrimp in a bag

The2dCour

I came home to a surprise today. Caught somewhat off guard and semi prepared I am wondering how long three cherry/bloody mary shrimp can be safely kept in a bag from the store with some moss in it while I change the water in their new home?

Also, their new home is in question. I have a 10g tank that has been maturing for a while. Inside the tank is duckweed, decaying plant matter, crushed coral substrate, one or two scuds, daphnia, cyclops, a single detritus worm (He's a youtube star dancing on his solo stage, I swear!) and water that has to be 100% changed. No filter running I've just been letting the bacteria stew in the crushed coral and mulm since early december. I have a cycled sponge filter from a heavily loaded 20g that I can drop in there and run.

Question is if this can be a viable home for them? The alternative is the 20g but it has cories, endlers and kuhlis. My ideal would be them on their own in the 10g, after it had been planted for a few more months.

Your ideas and help are very much appreciated.
Sincerely,
First time RCS owner

JettsPapa

The only thing that concerns me is the decaying plant matter. That can give off ammonia as it decays, and shrimp don't like ammonia. If you get that out it should be fine.

To answer your original question, 3 shrimp would probably be okay in the bag for several days. People (like me) ship shrimp in bags all the time and they do fine.

Flyfisha

I add a very dirty cycled sponge filter to a dry tank with old ornaments ,old pots , old sand , old wood , old plants ,old leaf litter and snails . The cherry shrimp go into this new tank . I have not had a problem and do not understand the stories of cherry shrimp needing a 3 month old tank when the hard objects are 4 months old.

You should be fine as long as you drip acclimate slowly over a couple of hour. It does not have to be drips and eggcup of water every 7- 10 minutes is the same thing in my book.

I set this tank up from dry a few months ago. The apistogramma pair are eating the adult cherry shrimp ( as intended) so the numbers are not exploding.
Sorry about the lighting.
image.jpg

You ask how long cherry shrimp can be in a plastic bag. At the right temperature 12 or more hours.
Open the bag and stir to add oxygen and you have another few hours.From my experience in all day auctions. Even fish are in a bag for 24 hours when the auction finishes at 2 am.

The2dCour

20210211_200316.jpg

Some of those are live plants I added, changing the water right now.
I was planning on keeping the ph/hardness the coral gives me:
7.2ph, 7dKH, 11dGH
Id immagine thatll be incredibly stable with pwc.

Flyfisha

They are going to need some cover?
C7B67C86-2B4A-4583-9911-D0F26A50DE2E.jpeg

The2dCour

I have moss In some other tanks that needs a trim =) and that hygro can get out of the 40 as well.

20210211_203056.jpg

My new friends, 2 female and a hitch hiker juvenile:

20210211_202829.jpg

20210211_202841.jpg

I wish to turn this thread in to a journal. Hopefully it gets moved, feel free to unsub if you don't want to hear me rambling about my tank =)

Thank you both for your input!
20210211_223343.jpg

Going to put the air line through the sponge and leave it for a day to see if the .25 ppm ammonia/nitrite dont go away.

The2dCour

20210212_110640.jpg

Waiting patiently. Water still has low ammonia and nitrite readings in their home.

Flyfisha

Do you have a spare filter you can place in the tank temporarily?

Do you have a hang on front breeding box you can put them in on another tank even if the fish are wrong. Just to get them into cycled water with oxygen?

A breeding net?

Cycling can take weeks.

The2dCour

Flyfisha said:
Do you have a spare filter you can place in the tank temporarily?

Do you have a hang on front breeding box you can put them in on another tank even if the fish are wrong. Just to get them into cycled water with oxygen?

A breeding net?

Cycling can take weeks.
It's been cycling for a while as I described above and there is a sponge filter. I just need to vacuum. They are getting fresh water drips as i refill tank

The2dCour

A better picture with the makeshift filter (oldsponge + airstone in the middle)

20210212_202013.jpg

The waters have sera watera conditioner. Left reading was from the cup, right from the tank. I was going to drip tank water in to them until 50% full, then the other 50% drip in the next bucket of fresh water.There are 10 ppm nitrates in the tank. Plan is to keep doing 50% water changes once or twice daily until ammonia and nitrate cycled on their own. Feed one or two pellet every other day of this
1613179599137887879468441198979.jpg

The water is clean and they are home.

Shrimp.jpg

Clean as in non-toxic. Looks like she found a scrap of something yummy.

The2dCour

Testing the water again today the tank is cycled After that first day thankfully (0/0/5). We lost one shrimp =( she was with eggs that are now sitting in a container floating. The other 2 have more friends on the way.

Flyfisha

You could add an air stone to the container of eggs making something similar to an egg tumbler ?

Or just concentrate on keeping the adults alive.

fingers crossed.

The2dCour

Flyfisha said:
You could add an air stone to the container of eggs making something similar to an egg tumbler ?

Or just concentrate on keeping the adults alive.

fingers crossed.
They are sitting in one of those floating plastic hospital/breeder box that lets water through. Have it positioned near the air bubbles so the container has some movement. Other than that, all I can do is wish the eggs well. The adults are industriously "helping" clean up the tank before their new friends arrive. More like helping themselves to the feast.

The2dCour

Incoming 10 friends today! Pictures will follow. edit: Oh no, it may be delayed with snow =(

The2dCour

20210305_093102.jpg

New friends arrived. USPS had sent my package back to aquahuna for care during a storm a couple weeks ago. I thought I had inadvertantly ordered 10 shrimps and 2 snails to their deaths, nope all is well!

The2dCour

20210305_171145.jpg

20210305_171136.jpg

They made it in, look a bit stressed but exploring and eating.

The2dCour

I had one shrimp randomly die yesterday. Shrimp are dead if they don't move right? I didn't accidently toss a molting shrimp or something?
It looks like a bad molt to me. Any advice is welcome. Pics included of some of the other shrimp as well.

The2dCour

Sadness.. one more shrimp passed. I didn't have time to do anything but snap a pic and fish him out. =(
20210323_070252.jpg

20210323_065918.jpg

BlackOsprey

When I started with shrimp, my first 3 tries ended with a total shrimp wipeout until I finally got it right. Store bought shrimp are kind of sensitive and delicate, your best bet is usually keeping some alive long enough for them to have babies and raising those.
Don't get too discouraged by shrimp deaths, is what I'm trying to say.

The2dCour

One has eggs right now.

The2dCour

20210325_180909.jpg

Babies will come. I purchased some glasg. baby shrimp food, but there really is bio film and infusoria everywhere already.

The2dCour

On a separate note. the hygro calymbosa and polysperma are growing out of the tank rapidly developing new leaves in the open air. Duckweed root are long and housing a plethora of daphnia.

20210326_082033.jpg

20210326_081635.jpg

The2dCour

Baby spotted! on the tail!

The2dCour

Just as the babies start showing up, hydra popped up everywhere! I am cursed or something.

Flyfisha

Hey The2dCour Don’t freak.
My experience suggests the danger of hydra is overrated? . While you will likely want to kill the hydra as soon as possible just a single dose of de worming medication will kill the hydra in minutes.

I don’t think you are cursed?

The2dCour

I was going to try either no planaria (etc) or hydrogen peroxide. I have unwanted snails in the tank so this is just one more reason to try it out. I'm concerned about dying snails, amonia and removing the product though. Eventually I want a snail to return.

There is a healthy daphnia colony in here that I think aided their spread.

marmaaa

The2dCour said:
I was going to try either no planaria (etc) or hydrogen peroxide. I have unwanted snails in the tank so this is just one more reason to try it out. I'm concerned about dying snails, amonia and removing the product though. Eventually I want a snail to return.

There is a healthy daphnia colony in here that I think aided their spread.
I know fenbendazole will kill them and the snails.

The2dCour

marmaaa said:
I know fenbendazole will kill them and the snails.
Unfortunately they are ramshorns (not killed), very nice red ones. But not for this tank. The ones I want to keep, that would kill =\

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom