3 Questions: Body Fungus First TIme

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by HollyWood22, Nov 26, 2013.

1. HollyWood22

HollyWood22New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    Charlette is my main livebearer - I swear, she seems to be eternally pregnant! She is sick for the first time - definitely body fungus and luckily only on one side of her body but a LARGE area - all fungus has come off her body now and she seems to be healing. I isolated her in the hospital tank which was treated with primafix - the next day I added Epsom salt to the water and I have kept the tank slightly warmer than her home tank... (home tank is 25 deg celcius)

First Question: It has been 5 days now - am I correct to change the tank water now (as to eliminate any floating fungus or excess food ?)

Second Question: One of my mollies looks like she could quite possibly have a couple tiny spots of the cottony like growth appearing - should I isolate her in the hospital tank WITH my charlotte platy?

Third Question: Is it good that I have been using Epsom Salt or is Aquarium Salt a better choice?

2. kevymd

kevymdWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +16
    Experience:
    3 years
    I'm going to do my best to answer your questions...

1. Yes. The best cure for any disease is very clean water. Unless you are using a box cure that has instructions, I would definitely clean the water. I have a QT going and I change the water every other day.

2. If you think she is sick, get her out of there. No exceptions.

3. Personal preference, Aquarium salt.

(for the record, with a fungus or bacteria you should drop the temperature, not raise it. Raise the temperature for parasites, as it speeds up their life cycle and makes it easier to treat.)

3. OP
    OP
    HollyWood22

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thanks for your quick reply> I appreciate it....
    In regards to the temp - I first had her in the basement in the hospital tank and the water was much cooler and the growth seemed to have grown larger, she appeared to be getting worse ... <?>
    Once I moved her upstairs with a heater blowing warm air on the tank she appeared to be getting better within two days ....
    I am new to this but thought I would mention this, incase you had any more suggestions or links for me

4. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,206
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Temperatures and illness can get a little tricky. For example to cure Ich, you can raise a tanks temperature to 86 degrees and leave it there for two weeks and it should clear up the Ich (along with daily gravel vacuuming to pick up the spores in the substrate).

But for a fungus, elevating the temperature can make the fungus worse. But lowering the temperature too much can lower a fish's resistance and make it more suseptible to illness. So in my opinion, when treating a fungus, you should just leave the tank at it's normal temperature, but when fighting Ich use heat.

5. OP
    OP
    HollyWood22

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    Thank you guys!

6. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +2,259
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Epsom salt is actually a common treatment among breeders when a fish gets sick. They even use it for what they call dropsy (although if salt works to heal, the fish didn't have dropsy to begin with IMO). So I'd say using it to help with a fungus is perfectly fine. What concentration did you use? And, if Charlotte is better now, for the newly sick fish, will you be using the same treatment?

7. OP
    OP
    HollyWood22

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    2 years
    Since owning my 15g tank, I have only used Epsom Salts and seems to be working great!

Steps I took for Body Fungus:
    Gave Charlotte a salt dip
    added 6 drops premafix to the clean 1 gallon hospital tank, inserted charlotte
    Day 2: Removed a cup of water from the tank and carefully dissolved 1 Tbsp of Epsom salt - put in tank
    Day 5: Removed Charlotte and cleaned the tank
    Repeated the above with new sicky - Sunny the Molly

Charlotte appears healed, I am just unsure of when to put her back with the other fish... She displays no cottony growth, the 'wound' (which I can only assume was so big from other fish pecking her!) appears closed, her color is good and continues to eat well - Problem: Sunny the Molly is picking on her (surprise surprise - so my concern is that charlotte may become stressed OR sunny could pick at the wound...)

Sunny had very little signs of body fungus but always watching her, I knew she did display signs - which seem to be gone after only 2 days !

The tank temperature has fluctuated, I was given advice to keep the temp average, which I believe I had the tank slightly warmer - my babies are office fish, and the heat in our office was not working on one side - so the heater that I had blowing on the tank (since I first inserted Charlotte) warmed the tank up TOO much by the end of the day and Im hoping this does not effect the fish' immune system....

So after this long post Ive written... what it all comes down to:

Does anyone have a suggestion of when to remove Charlotte, who appears healthy and has been Qt for a week

or Sunny, who appears healthy as well but has only been QT for 2 days

In regards to the salt baths, I am not sure if its the right amount that I used but seems to be working... I have ready 1 Tsp per gallon and I have read 1 Tbsp per gallon on the net... <feedback anyone> ?

* I put a fake plant in the tank yesterday and it seems to be helping by the molly still chases the platy!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2013