3 Questions About Lighting...

TagTeam

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 20g tall with 1 Anubias (large), 2 Java Fern (1 small, 1 large), 6-7 stems of Cabomba and some Java Moss (I'm planning on adding several other low/medium plants later). I have gravel but will eventually be replacing it with Eco Complete. I've been using just a standard hood light and the Cabomba is starting to die, so I ordered a . It should arrive Wednesday. A few questions regarding how to grow plants with this set up w/out having an algae problem:

1) Is it necessary to get a dimmer?
2) How long should I have the lights on?
3) Is there anything else I should do (to avoid the algae)?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Nope, not necessary to get a dimmer.

6-8 hours is usually plenty!

If you start to see algae, you can add a break in the lighting period (so 3-4 hours on, 4 hours off, and 3-4 hours on) or raise the fixture up a few inches.

Paradise fish

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dimmers aren't necessarily. You can dim the lights by placing the light higher from the water.

Most recommend between 6-10 hours a day. To avoid algae from new lights you should start out with only 6 hours a day, with or without a break, then increase over a course of a month until you start to see algae. Then clean off the algae and reduce the lighting period.

Fast growing plants and floating plants can combat algae pretty effectively.

TagTeam

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dimmers aren't necessarily. You can dim the lights by placing the light higher from the water.

Most recommend between 6-10 hours a day. To avoid algae from new lights you should start out with only 6 hours a day, with or without a break, then increase over a course of a month until you start to see algae. Then clean off the algae and reduce the lighting period.

Fast growing plants and floating plants can combat algae pretty effectively.
Thank you
Can you please give me some recommendations for beginner-friendly, low/medium, fast growing plants & floating plants?

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Anacharis, hornwort, water wisteria, and guppy grass can all be grown floating (they'll occupy the upper and middle levels of the tank) and they grow quickly. If you are going to plant them, just plat the wisteria and hornwort. Anacharis does better floating, and guppy grass can't be planted (though mine grows roots down into the substrate from the floating position).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom