3 Pregnant Platys? Or Dropsy? Help Help

Discussion in 'Platy' started by Waterdrop, Apr 22, 2019.

1. WaterdropNew MemberMember

Hello,
    I’m quite new here , but after noticing that 4 fry dropped in my Platy community tank, and after suspecting one has been pregnant for weeks, I’m very confused.
    I’ve separated the males from the community tank and qt them from the females just to make sure, I don’t want to move the females much because one was apparently comfortable enough to drop 4. I’m not sure which one however, as two look sort of squared and one just seems slightly pregnant .
    Someone also noted on a Facebook page that it may be Dropsy but all they’re symptoms link to pregnancy for me
    Please help!

Attached Files:

2. PrincethepurplebettaWell Known MemberMember

They look pregnant to me. Do they have any raised scales?

3. WaterdropNew MemberMember

Nope! Thankfully I have checked for that and no one looks like a pine cone!
    My pale yellow one is worrying me a bit, she is shimming I think and running herself across my java ferns in short spurts .
    They have the classic white spot on their analfin.. I’m just confused

4. guppgirlValued MemberMember

They all look pregnant, not like they have dropsy. Dropsy is noticeable, and if you have fry in the tank, you can pretty much assume it's pregnancy.
    They're livebearers, they'll stay pregnant most of their life unless there's no males in the tank, and even then they can save the fertilization for about a year afterwards.

5. WaterdropNew MemberMember

That’s actually really neat to know! Thank you! I went to work and left the light off for awhile and one other fry dropped so I’m relieved.
    Thank you !

6. guppgirlValued MemberMember

No problem! Do you have room for all the fry? If you don't, I would definitely consider keeping only males or only females, simply because you're going to end up with a ton.
    I started off with 7 guppies and at its height ended up with close to 100 within less than 4 months. So definitely be prepared if you allow them to keep breeding. Platy's will drop between 20-60 fry at a time, supposedly. Though in my experience with guppies, the first pregnancy for each was small, literally 3-5 fry, but then within the month, most of them dropped a second batch of fry that was much larger. I'm unsure if platys are the same, but most guppies will chase and eat their own fry, so if you want to keep them, it's best to separate them. However, if your tank is heavily planted or has a good amount of hiding spaces, more than you realize will survive.
    All I'm really saying is be prepared if you let them keep breeding, you're going to end up with a ton. In my case I was luckily enough to find a home for all the males and most of the females. The 3 fry afterwards that turned out to be male, I now keep in a separate tank, but it took a lot of searching and networking to find someone to take them.

7. BettafishgalValued MemberMember

Did everything go well?