3 Panda Fry, I Have A Few Questions, Help Please.

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by toran, May 18, 2018.

1. toran

toranValued MemberMember

Hello,
    Monday I found a dozen panda Cory eggs when cleaning the the tank. I rolled up 7 that looked fertile, put them in a small container with treated water, pimafix, and an air stone and let them float in the Betta tank since the temp was warmer.

This AM I had 3 tiny fry. I cleaned the container and changed 1/3 of the water. They still had their yoke sacs. Just now I see the yoke sacs are gone so I put in a teeny tiny amount of Hikari First Bites and will boil an egg.

My questions are.... I have a 5.5 gallon that has been running for about a month with nothing but plants which I have planted today. 1) Would this be too big for the 3 fry?

I will put a sponge over the intake tube of Aqueon Quiet Flow 10 HOB filter. 2) Do I need one in front of the outflow?

I will leave the bottom bare, for now, and put in some Java moss, Indian almond leaf, anchor some hornwort. They can munch on the organisms on them but 3) how do I feed 3 fry in the tank?

4) Will weekly water changes be enough?

I can transfer some bio media to the filter but only 3 tiny fry won't keep the BB alive. 5) At what age will they need the BB? I hope I'm asking this question right.

Any help to help keep these fry alive is appreciated by them and me

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecatWell Known MemberMember

Hey, congratulations on your fry.

A 5.5 will work fine. A filter over the input for sure. A filter over the output is really only necessary if it's really raining down in the tank, so probably not.

Feeding for such a small number will be a challenge. A tiny crumble of sinking pellet will do them. I would think a weekly water change accompanied by a bit of spot vacuuming with a turkey baster will be all right for maintenance.

They really aren't going to have much of a bioload. So ammonia buildup from insufficient bacteria activity shouldn't be an issue until they are larger, at which point the situation should self correct.

3. Sarah73

Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

4. OP
    OP
    toran

toranValued MemberMember

Hello, thanks for your reply.

I moved them yesterday afternoon. I put an Indian almond leaf from another tank that was falling apart, tied Java moss and hornwort to small rocks and put on each side of the leaf to keep it in place. With a turkey baster, I slowly placed them on the leaf. To feed them I used a dropper and only put 2 drops of watered down egg yoke on the leaf where I put the fry.

I didn't see any movement yesterday at all. Just now I shined a small flashlight on the leaf and saw one fry moving around. YEAH!!!! That was hopeful. Oh, I just remembered, I need to put vita-chem in the tank.

Again thanks for your help.

5. OP
    OP
    toran

toranValued MemberMember

Hi, I read your journal. How exciting to have so many fry!!! I am excited with just 3 fry.

A few years ago I had 2 batches of panda fry. One batch of 6, the other of 7. I raised one Cory from each batch. It was heartbreaking as each fry died. I think my mistake was keeping them in small containers with air stones, floating in the tank, and changing 50% of the water twice a day.

If you read the post above you will see what I have done now.

Thanks for your reply and help. Good luck with your fry and have fun.

6. Sarah73

Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

I actually had fry like 6 months back and only three survived outta the 12 :(. So yeah I'm very excited. Half of my time is changing the water and making sure the water is clean. Takes lots of time and patience. Fry bites are def the best including brine shrimp eggs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice