3 Neon Tetra - Should I add more???

Discussion in 'Neon Tetra' started by hyun007, Mar 25, 2010.

1. hyun007Valued MemberMember

Had 10 Neon Tetra, 2 died an the 5 went MIA.
    When I first bought them, they were always hidding even at meal time except 1.
    Now, there are only 3 left but they will always be there during meal time.

One of the Neon Tetra is pretty aggressive towards it own kind.
    I guess it is the dominate one.

I add in 5 Black Neon Tetra to keep them company.
    Unfortunately they do not school together.

Now I am wondering whether I should buy more Neon or just leave it at 3 and watch one doing the bullying.

Also, I will need a quarantine the new fish, I have only big jars and I do not think that is suitable unless I am putting 2-3 neon tetra in each big jar.
    Do not know whether that is good enough or not.:;dk

2. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Hyun007,

Sorry to hear about your Neons that have past and are missing. Do you know what caused it?

If you would be so kind as to complete your Aquarium Profile information it will be a great help. To access the profile click on My Settings in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. Then in the drop down box click on Edit Aquarium Information. It will be a great help to others and help in aiding with their responses. Without more knowledge of your aquarium, it's hard to give out any advice.

Here are two links on good ways to set up a quarantine tank:
    Cheapie QT tanks!
    Quick and dirty quarantine setup

Best wishes!
    Ken

3. TedsTank

TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

Welcome Hyun007,

For now I recommend that you add no more fish. Fill in your info as Aquarist requested. 3Neons and the black neons will be fine. Neons types generally don't bully eachother to the point of death, they seem to always just be darting around and changing the pecking order. Schooling fish don't killing each other, or there would be no schooling fish by now....lol Dont worry you are ok, until we can see your info, water parameters, temp tank size, etc.

4. beautyfishNew MemberMember

I am a little bit confused. If you are wondering why the fish are MIA, then yes, we need your test levels and whatnot (though I am not as educated as I should be on that topic). What I do know is that some people say 3 tetras will make a school, some say more. From my personal experience, unless the fish are unusually cooperative, you need 6+ for them to School (it does take 2 days or so for them to really school though so don't be scared). Part of the reason they are dying may be the poor neon tetra market now 'n' days (spelling?). Within the past 15 years or so the neon tetra market exploded and they are being mass produced, reducing the fish's quality. A good solution would be to get some cardinal tetras--they school with the neons, and the only difference is the little red line on the bottom goes all the way to the head (hardly noticeable). Cardinals tend to be a little more hardy because they aren't as mass produced, but incedentally they aren't at as many stores. Where you live could help a little because I know most of the stores in Los Angeles, and could refer you.

Good luck,

BeautyFish

5. CandymancanValued MemberMember

I bought 10 neon tetra's at Petsmart, only 1 died within a few days, the other 9 have lived for over 2 months and are in perfect health. Personally i think the reason why everyone's neons die is because there PH is to high. It seems neons for me anyway like low PH around 6.0-6.4 or so. My moms tank water was perfect and she had 10 neons also however her water was around 7.0-7.2 for the PH and they all died within a week.

Iv read this online too neons like low PH.. So yea thats what i personally belive the problem is. Why dont you get your water tested for ammonia,nitrate,nitrite, and PH first before you add more fish to see what your problem is.

Also what kind of fish do you have in the tank ?? how big is the tank.. more details please

6. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Another reason why people do not have much luck with them is automatically many people with new tanks what them and they do not do well in a newly cycled tank they need a very established tank to survive. Also the reason your mom's didn't make it was adding 10 at once is a lot of fish and it probably threw the tank in a cycle.

7. CandymancanValued MemberMember

No your wrong, i add'd all 10 of my neons at the same time and my tank is only 27g and its a hex, and only 1 died after a few days. Hers just all died within a week. Her water was perfect too like mine except the higher PH.

My tank wasnt mature either, it just finished cycling to 0 nitrite and 0 ammonia and 20 Nitrate. Maybe i was lucky or maybe it was something else, but i honestly belive its the PH

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice