3 Month Cycle Wont Remove Tiny Bit Of Ammomia

Why wont my tank remove ammonia between 0 and 0.25 no matter how long I dont feed it nitrites r 0?

• This low trace of ammonia showing between 0 and 0.25 won't harm 3 guppys

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • This is a issue and need to keep cycling

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Meganrae8148
It's been 3 months I've been cycling a 10 gallon tank. Feeding it till it reaches 4ppm ammonia with dr Tim's ammonia. My tank went up to 1ppm in nitrites and 20 in nitrates over a month span. I've tested tap water it does has 2ppm ammonia 0 nitrites and 10ppm nitrates so I do know that could affect the cycle probably. But I still feed the tank with dr Tim's as needed to get 4ppm and monitor. Anyways back to the tank.......!!!!!

For a constant month my tanks been turning 4ppm to a level between 0 and 0.25. The entire month my nitrites are at 0ppm qpnt go up finally. Nitrate 40ppm, but ammonia between 0 and 0.25 I'm using the liquid apI test and the color is a yellowish green. Not green enough at all to be exactly 0.25 ammonia if it makes since. Very very light trace of ammonia obviously. So I wait to see if itll go down not feeding it. It won't wont change no matter how long I wait it stays between 0 and 0.25 ammonia. My nitrites are staying at 0 now and nitrates are 40ppm constantly for a month
I go ahead and rise the ammonia to 4ppm. Then wait for it to reach between 0 and 0.24 like always. And then I do not feed it for a week or more to see if ammonia will reach 0. It doesn't. I add more dr Tim's to not starve the cycle after about two week of it not lowering completely. Putting the ammonia up to 4ppm it goes back down between 0 and 0.25 within 24 hours. This week I'm to impatient I feed it with dr Tim's rise it to 4ppm ammonia. It lowers between 0 and 0.25 ammonia like always. A few days not feeding haven't fed it in 6 days n it is still in between 0 and 0.25ppm ammonia. Did a water change 20% around 4am before work it brought up the ammonia to 1ppm bc my tap has ammonia in it. Within me going to work and getting off it was back down between 0 and 0.25 ammonia like always ugh rather then a bright yellow for 0 it's a light greenish yellow but not green enough to be 0.25 exactly ughhh. Does this mean its cycled and I can add fish or is there a reason why for a month of 0 nitrite and 40ppm nitrates I can't get my tank to remove the remaining 0/0.25 ammonia????? I just want 3 guppys??? Why the heck won't it remove the little tiny trace of ammonia. Can I just get the darn guppys or must I be patient.?????

Advertisement
Addie42
Have u tested your tap water?? Sorry if u said you did, your post was really long

MomeWrath
Get the guppies. You're fine. The liquid in that test is so close between the two readings, it depends on the color of the light you're viewing it in and your own sensitivity to color. If it's processing all 4ppm down to what you're reading as .25 and you've been at it for 90 days I'd say it's well past time to call it good and get some fish.

david1978
We have other members that can't get a true 0 reading either. These are just hobby grade kits after all.

Advertisement
Meganrae8148
Have u tested your tap water?? Sorry if u said you did, your post was really long
I did I mentioned my tap water has a reading of 2ppm ammonia 0 nitrites and 10ppm nitriates. My tank that's been cycling for months I feed it ammonia with dr Tim's rising it to 4ppm. I went through a nitrite rise of 1ppm. Now it has lowered to 0 ammonia lowers to a level between 0 and 0.25 and nitrates are at 40ppm. This has been consistant for a month and it won't drop fully to 0

We have other members that can't get a true 0 reading either. These are just hobby grade kits after all.
Do you think this means I could be able to grab my 3 guppy fish it is a 10 gal tank and it does remove 4ppm over night to a level between 0 and 0.25

IceForever
My water has read a slight bit of ammonia for as long as I can remember. I’ve lost one fish in my 8-10 months and it was my fault for cleaning my filter media and vacuuming my gravel on the same day. Luckily I only lost the one little guy.

As others have said, you should be fine, but maybe slowly acclimate the fish you’re adding just to be safe. (I always do this anyway)

MomeWrath
Do you think this means I could be able to grab my 3 guppy fish it is a 10 gal tank and it does remove 4ppm over night to a level between 0 and 0.25
Yes.
Make sure you are using Prime or some water conditioner with every addition of new water and you'll be fine. Your tank is processing the ammonia in 24 hrs.

Meganrae8148
Yes.
Make sure you are using Prime or some water conditioner with every addition of new water and you'll be fine. Your tank is processing the ammonia in 24 hrs.
I do have prime if I get the guppys and have any suddent rise in ammonia prime will help detox it right? I dought I'll have any issues with that though but just incase I always have prime. I've heard add fish sometimes throw up the ammonia to a fishless cycled tank??

toosie
I did I mentioned my tap water has a reading of 2ppm ammonia 0 nitrites and 10ppm nitriates. My tank that's been cycling for months I feed it ammonia with dr Tim's rising it to 4ppm. I went through a nitrite rise of 1ppm. Now it has lowered to 0 ammonia lowers to a level between 0 and 0.25 and nitrates are at 40ppm. This has been consistant for a month and it won't drop fully to 0
As others have said, you're good to go. The ammonia you currently have (.25) is often seen with this test kit. Your next kit might give you 0's but this one isn't. Because 3.75ppm ammonia gets converted without problem in 24 hours, its inconceivable that it can't or won't take care of the other .25 in 24hrs. So it is a flaw in the test that other members have also struggled with.

Go find your guppies and only become concerned if you see levels higher than you currently do. But you won't, because 3 guppies won't come close to making 4ppm ammonia in 24 hours. You're good! You're really, really good!

Advertisement
IceForever
By slowly acclimate I mean floating them and slowly adding water from your aquarium in to the bag a bit at a time over a decent length of time.

I know and trust my LFS so I am blessed to be able to dump the transport water right in to my tank without worry, but it is recommended that you met the fish and not dump store water. It’s ACTUALLY recommended that you quarantine any fish for a week before adding, if we’re being truthful...especially if you’re getting fish from somewhere like petco/petsmart/Walmart/etcetera

Meganrae8148
Btw here is a picture of my ammonia readings the picture with a high reading of ammonia nitrites and low nitrates are from 2 months ago. The picture that has 0 nitrite and high nitrates is from today before work

As others have said, you're good to go. The ammonia you currently have (.25) is often seen with this test kit. Your next kit might give you 0's but this one isn't. Because 3.75ppm ammonia gets converted without problem in 24 hours, its inconceivable that it can't or won't take care of the other .25 in 24hrs. So it is a flaw in the test that other members have also struggled with.

Go find your guppies and only become concerned if you see levels higher than you currently do. But you won't, because 3 guppies won't come close to making 4ppm ammonia in 24 hours. You're good! You're really, really good!
Thank you going to the store tonight!

Attachments

• 20190423_004237.jpg
    20190423_004237.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 72
Morpheus1967
Your tank is processing 4ppm down to .25 (probably 0) in 24 hours. There is absolutely zero percent chance 3 guppies will ever produce 4ppm is 24 hours. You are fine. Get your fish. Congrats!

Meganrae8148
By slowly acclimate I mean floating them and slowly adding water from your aquarium in to the bag a bit at a time over a decent length of time.

I know and trust my LFS so I am blessed to be able to dump the transport water right in to my tank without worry, but it is recommended that you met the fish and not dump store water. It’s ACTUALLY recommended that you quarantine any fish for a week before adding, if we’re being truthful...especially if you’re getting fish from somewhere like petco/petsmart/Walmart/etcetera
Thank u how should I quarantine them any advice on that. A bucket with tap water or my aquarium water? Is there a way to spot illness at the store? This is a very good point because I'd hate to being in a disease to a freshly cycled tank!

IceForever
Tbh just from that picture that seems like bad lighting to view those test results in lol.

Regardless, as Morpheus said, 3 guppies aren’t going to spike your ammonia higher than that bb can handle...and even if it does spike the fish will be acclimated to it so it isn’t going to get high enough to cause them any real harm unless something else is amuck.

Advertisement
toosie
Thank you going to the store tonight!
Because you have 2ppm ammonia in your tap water, a 50% water change would give you 1ppm ammonia in the tank after the water change. And if you do 25% water changes, you will have .5ppm ammonia after a water change. But use Prime to make it safe and the BB should take care of it in a matter of hours.

IceForever
Thank u how should I quarantine them any advice on that. A bucket with tap water or my aquarium water? Is there a way to spot illness at the store? This is a very good point because I'd hate to being in a disease to a freshly cycled tank!

You’re supposed to have a quarantine tank tbh, but some people use a bucket with a sponge filter in it and it will suffice. However if you’re starting fresh you’ll need to seed the bucket ‘Tank’ with some media from the tank that’s already cycled...the same nitrogen process will take place in your quarantine tank over the week of quarantine

Meganrae8148
Tbh just from that picture that seems like bad lighting to view those test results in lol.

Regardless, as Morpheus said, 3 guppies aren’t going to spike your ammonia higher than that bb can handle...and even if it does spike the fish will be acclimated to it so it isn’t going to get high enough to cause them any real harm unless something else is amuck.
Lolol I know I had trouble taking this picture. And my apartment has the worst lighting on earth plus I see colors brightly what's light orange to most. Is bright to me.

You’re supposed to have a quarantine tank tbh, but some people use a bucket with a sponge filter in it and it will suffice. However if you’re starting fresh you’ll need to seed the bucket ‘Tank’ with some media from the tank that’s already cycled...the same nitrogen process will take place in your quarantine tank over the week of quarantine
Oh I see so a good big bucket and filter from my cycled tank. For this week I just look for signs of spots and acting strange not eating ect correct?

Addie42
Your tap water has 2ppm ammonia???? That’s really high

toosie
Being as these are the first fish in the tank, there is no real need for a q tank. When other fish are going to be added to an already established tank, then a q tank is really a smart thing to use.

Morpheus1967
I guess I don't see the point of quarantine in this situation. There is nothing in the tank. These are the first inhabitants. Just my own personal opinion, but I would be totally comfortable just adding them to the tank after acclimation. Now, I wouldn't dump the water in the bag into your tank. But the fish? I would put them right in.

IceForever
Oh I see so a good big bucket and filter from my cycled tank. For this week I just look for signs of spots and acting strange not eating ect correct?

I mean it doesn’t even need to be big, tbh...just big enough for the fish to live in for a week. Filter media from your already cycled tank will help start the colony of beneficial bacteria in the bucket, which is why it is recommended to seed the bucket. Otherwise you’ll have to cycle the bucket as well, or just change the water pretty often for the week of quarantine

Morpheus1967
I mean it doesn’t even need to be big, tbh...just big enough for the fish to live in for a week. Filter media from your already cycled tank will help start the colony of beneficial bacteria in the bucket, which is why it is recommended to seed the bucket. Otherwise you’ll have to cycle the bucket as well, or just change the water pretty often for the week of quarantine

These are the first fish to be introduced to the tank. A quarantine isn't necessary.

Meganrae8148
These are the first fish to be introduced to the tank. A quarantine isn't necessary.
They are the first first and more then likely will be the only fish if anything I'll get 2 ghost shrimp or a single mystery snail

IceForever
It was more a general comment for things we’re supposed to do when adding stock, Not necessarily saying that she should quarantine these guppies.

Morpheus1967
It was more a general comment for things we’re supposed to do when adding stock, Not necessarily saying that she should quarantine these guppies.

Oh ok. I guess I misunderstood your post where you said it's recommended to quarantine any new fish before adding. My bad!

IceForever
Oh ok. I guess I misunderstood your post where you said it's recommended to quarantine any new fish before adding. My bad!

It was probably poorly written and unclear, really. I’m responding on the fly and my brain has a million different things going on lol.

toosie
I guess I misunderstood too because that is what I was hearing too.

roXen
I had the same concerns (my thread on this here). It's just the API test kit. You have to:

1. Shake both the ammonia bottles really well before adding drops.

2. Nicely wash test tubes before adding aquarium water.

3. Put test tubes against white background and view results under daylight or LED light.

Following the above 3 steps, I now get a more yellowish tint as opposed to the lime green I got before.

Meganrae8148
I had the same concerns (my thread on this here). It's just the API test kit. You have to:

1. Shake both the ammonia bottles really well before adding drops.

2. Nicely wash test tubes before adding aquarium water.

3. Put test tubes against white background and view results under daylight or LED light.

Following the above 3 steps, I now get a more yellowish tint as opposed to the lime green I got before.
Yes I even watched a video step by step nitrate test washed out my tubes really good dried them. Then I got 5mml of aquarium water put 10 drops of nitrate1 in the tube cap then shook. Then I shook nitrate2 for 30 seconds put 10 drops in tube capped and shook again for 1 minute with a timer waited 5 minutes for color same results lol

This was results

Attachments

• 20190423_164304.jpg
    20190423_164304.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 44
roXen
Yes I even watched a video step by step nitrate test washed out my tubes really good dried them. Then I got 5mml of aquarium water put 10 drops of nitrate1 in the tube cap then shook. Then I shook nitrate2 for 30 seconds put 10 drops in tube capped and shook again for 1 minute with a timer waited 5 minutes for color same results lol

This was results

Honestly, I think that looks fine to me. I would slowly add fish and monitor results.

IceForever

This was results
That’s yellow

DavidFishMan
It's been 3 months I've been cycling a 10 gallon tank. Feeding it till it reaches 4ppm ammonia with dr Tim's ammonia. My tank went up to 1ppm in nitrites and 20 in nitrates over a month span. I've tested tap water it does has 2ppm ammonia 0 nitrites and 10ppm nitrates so I do know that could affect the cycle probably. But I still feed the tank with dr Tim's as needed to get 4ppm and monitor. Anyways back to the tank.......!!!!!

For a constant month my tanks been turning 4ppm to a level between 0 and 0.25. The entire month my nitrites are at 0ppm qpnt go up finally. Nitrate 40ppm, but ammonia between 0 and 0.25 I'm using the liquid apI test and the color is a yellowish green. Not green enough at all to be exactly 0.25 ammonia if it makes since. Very very light trace of ammonia obviously. So I wait to see if itll go down not feeding it. It won't wont change no matter how long I wait it stays between 0 and 0.25 ammonia. My nitrites are staying at 0 now and nitrates are 40ppm constantly for a month
I go ahead and rise the ammonia to 4ppm. Then wait for it to reach between 0 and 0.24 like always. And then I do not feed it for a week or more to see if ammonia will reach 0. It doesn't. I add more dr Tim's to not starve the cycle after about two week of it not lowering completely. Putting the ammonia up to 4ppm it goes back down between 0 and 0.25 within 24 hours. This week I'm to impatient I feed it with dr Tim's rise it to 4ppm ammonia. It lowers between 0 and 0.25 ammonia like always. A few days not feeding haven't fed it in 6 days n it is still in between 0 and 0.25ppm ammonia. Did a water change 20% around 4am before work it brought up the ammonia to 1ppm bc my tap has ammonia in it. Within me going to work and getting off it was back down between 0 and 0.25 ammonia like always ugh rather then a bright yellow for 0 it's a light greenish yellow but not green enough to be 0.25 exactly ughhh. Does this mean its cycled and I can add fish or is there a reason why for a month of 0 nitrite and 40ppm nitrates I can't get my tank to remove the remaining 0/0.25 ammonia????? I just want 3 guppys??? Why the heck won't it remove the little tiny trace of ammonia. Can I just get the darn guppys or must I be patient.?????

You really need to stop putting new water in your tank that contains ammonia. That stuff is very poisonous to the fish. If your test kit is accurate I think your only choice is to find water with zero ammonia. Maybe spring or distilled water. Once you do that that bacteria colonies will be able to grow large enough to zero out your ammonia.

Meganrae8148
You really need to stop putting new water in your tank that contains ammonia. That stuff is very poisonous to the fish. If your test kit is accurate I think your only choice is to find water with zero ammonia. Maybe spring or distilled water. Once you do that that bacteria colonies will be able to grow large enough to zero out your ammonia.
Hey I just wanted to let u know that no matter what I do my tank always read in between 0 and 0.25ppm ammonia my tap has 2ppm. I've had my aquarium water tested at a local fishstore. The lady said she has the same issue with her freshwater tanks but not salt not to worry to much. So I stopped worrying about it but what I did was borrow this from my uncle he has to use this bc he keep salt water fish and has probably spent 1000s. Here is Kansas city water is horrible so my uncle uses a filter type thing and gave me one... people tell me this removes everything in the water and I'd need to add mineral in my water using this that it removes all nitrites ammonia nitrates everything harmful

Attachments

• 20190423_183259.jpg
    20190423_183259.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 44
IceForever
Hey I just wanted to let u know that no matter what I do my tank always read in between 0 and 0.25ppm ammonia my tap has 2ppm. I've had my aquarium water tested at a local fishstore. The lady said she has the same issue with her freshwater tanks but not salt not to worry to much. So I stopped worrying about it but what I did was borrow this from my uncle he has to use this bc he keep salt water fish and has probably spent 1000s. Here is Kansas city water is horrible so my uncle uses a filter type thing and gave me one... people tell me this removes everything in the water and I'd need to add mineral in my water using this that it removes all nitrites ammonia nitrates everything harmful

Yes that is a reverse osmosis filter if I’m not mistaken. It will strip everything and you will, in fact, need to supplement your water.

Ladyglo
Your picture looks yellow to me, but I have the same issue. When I look at my results, it always looks like it has a slight green hue. If you take it out in the sunlight it looks better . Others have looked and called it yellow (0ppm). I think we just see that bit of green where others don’t. Go ahead and get the fish!! Congratulations

Meganrae8148
Yes that is a reverse osmosis filter if I’m not mistaken. It will strip everything and you will, in fact, need to supplement your water.
Could u list some good supplements

IceForever
Could u list some good supplements

I would if I could, but I’m not anywhere near that level of knowledgeable...I always stayed away from RO water for that reason lol.

And now that I am planted enough to need ferts the idea of RO water and supplementing is becoming more and more appealing. :cry:

Meganrae8148
I would if I could, but I’m not anywhere near that level of knowledgeable...I always stayed away from RO water for that reason lol.

And now that I am planted enough to need ferts the idea of RO water and supplementing is becoming more and more appealing. :cry:
My tap water so bad that this was my only option to remove all the toxins every water change my fish would show signs of ammonia poisoning... I hv a few plants but mostly artificial...I'm going to research it lol...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sfsamm
  • Poll
Replies
Views
SarahMcGee
Replies
Views
Dunk2
Replies