3" jack dempsey coloration change

crystal85015

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have 2 3" jack dempsey's....i believe they are male and female...they have been showing spawning behavior off and on for the last month....about 2 days ago, one of the JD's dropped all its color....1 of them is incredibly dark with stripes and the other is a silverish color with blue speckling throughout...can anyone tell me why this light one dropped it's color and went light?? the light colored has also been spending ALOT of time near the end of the tank, staring at itself in the glass....
Crystal

Attachments

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Welcome to Fishlore, Crystal.

That's normal. Jd's, being cichlids (aka quite moody) change colors with their moods. Mine do it all the time.

crystal85015

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
okay zookeeper

thanks for the info....i had forgotten that....cichlids change colors with their moods....im just used to seeing both my JD's extremely dark with stripes....wait til my electric blue JD's get their adult coloration!!!!! those 5 will be drop dead gorgeous and worth ALOT of $$.....i'm gonna breed those...i'm going to keep 2 males to start my breeding program....i'll keep 1 nice female for my show tank....but the other 2 EBJDs will be sold once they reach 3-4" long....
Crystal

ayelie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to FL.
The people on are amazing. Some one of them will always be willing to try to help you if they can at all.

I know nothing about cichlids but that is awesome to know. If only we woman could change our color with our moods.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom