3 Guppies 5 Glofishes??

1. A

Axman01 Valued Member Member

Hey everyone, so i recently got a 10 gallon tank. My plan is too add 3 gupies all male tommrow, to cycle my tank. So i was wondering if its fine if i keep all male guppies, will they fight if there is not a female, or will they do fine. If not, shoudl i go wih 3 female guppies?? I just dont wanna breed them.

Also, after the cycling process is done, im planning to add 5-6 glofishes. So will they do fine, glofish and guppies? Is it overstocking? And atlast, are 3 guppies too many to cycle a 10g, should i go with 2?

Thank you so much guyss!!

2. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

Most if not all Glofish need a 20 long minimum. IME all male Guppy groups need to be in at least a heavily planted 20 gallon and need to be in groups of 6+ (so the aggression is split up). If you get females they are probably already pregnant.
    I would do:
    8 Endler, or 8 CPDs
    20 RCS
    4 Nerite Snails

3. Kenny777

Kenny777 Well Known Member Member

Glofish need to be in groups 6+ and all male guppies should be fine but I wouldn't do Glofish in there they are to active. I can list some options if you are interested.

4. dansamy

dansamy Valued Member Member

Also, the kit filter is likely underwhelming. I know the one that came in my kit is for 2-10 gallons and only claims to moves 85gph, but it likely does even less. I'm only housing a Betta in 10 gallons.

5. goplecos

Not in a 10 gallon. It could work but if there is any aggression the aggressive male has to be rehomed. It is possible but is so much work that Endlers are a better option.

6. dansamy

That doesn't mean you have to buy another filter. It just means you need to consider the realistic filtration power that you do (or don't) have.

7. Kenny777

You could do
    2 Peacock Gudgeons
    10 Amano Shrimp
    2 Nerite Snails
    OR
    1 Betta
    10 Amano Shrimp
    2 Nerite Snails
    OR
    8 Celestrial Pearl Danios
    10 Amano Shrimp
    2 Nerite Snails
    OR
    3 Dwarf Puffers
    Cant think of anything else at the moment.

8. OP
    OP
    A

Oh ok, are endlers hard enough to cycle a tank?? Also, i feel like most of the male guppies are kept in thr same tank at the fish store, and they look fine???

With the glofish, i might just get some tetras than, but getting them is a long time from now, since i still have to cycle my tank.

Than you!

9. dansamy

If you want a full, busy tank, that third list that Kenny shared would be lots of life in a small tank.

10. OP
    OP
    A

@Kenny777 it would be grt if you can list down some options, thank you so much!!

Also, would you get 3 guppies or 2 guppies go cycle a tank?? (I need some space to put in more fish later as well)

11. Kenny777

No I wouldn't do that and I listed some above

You could also do
    Scarlet Badis not sure how much
    OR
    Pair of German blue rams
    OR
    Pair of Bolivian rams

12. OP
    OP
    A

Thx for the list kenny!!! But i do need atleast one kind of hardy cycling fish, secondly i dont really wanna have any shrimps in my tank, it just looks gross to me lmao. So 3 male basically wont work?

I was thibking of celestrial danios as one of my cycling fish?

13. Kenny777

For a cycling fish I wouldn't recommend it you may have to ask someone else

14. OP
    OP
    A

Tysm for the help kenny!!! I read on another fishlore forum that all female guppies do work as long as you make sure the store keeps them in seprate tanks!

15. Kenny777

Your welcome good luck!!

16. Adam Alston

Adam Alston New Member Member

To start off, Glofish usually come as a schooling fish (Tiger Barbs for example; the most common) and need a larger tank. I would recommend sticking with something that doesn't require a large tank and do well with guppies, I would recommend platys. You should also get the guppies as all females to prevent nipping as the males sometimes like to do to each other.

17. Kenny777

Actually don t do the rams in a 10g they need more space my bad I do not recommend them anymore

18. California L33

California L33 Well Known Member Member

There are two things to consider when viewing fish at the pet store, and why it's not great to try to make your tank look like that-

-those fish only have to endure the stress of crowding for a couple of weeks before they're sold, and they still have a huge die off, and expect it. Most pet stores 'scoop the dead fish' at least once a day. I was in a Petsmart a couple of weeks ago at the end of the day and there were three dead fish in the tanks.

-the tanks they keep them in are often connected to extremely powerful filtration with large water sumps, so while it looks like there are 25 fish in a 15 gallon tank, there are 20 fish in a 15 gallon tank with an additional 50 gallons of water connected to it, so it's actually 20 fish in 65 gallons of circulating water.

19. goplecos

I have had good luck keeping all males short term. Long term they settle in and become aggressive toward each other.

20. goplecos

Endlers are hardier than CPDs and are a better cycling fish. Have you thought about Asian Stone Mini Catfish. You could do:
    6 Endlers
    3 Asian Stone Mini Catfish (add after the cycle)
    4 Nerite Snails.