3 Gallon Walstad Bowl Help

Florence

I've recently set up a Walstad type 3 gallon bowl that I plan to stock with some shrimp some time in the future. I used lowes natural bagged soil and bdbs for a cap. It currently only has water wisteria and some hornwort. What other plants could I add to it that can grow in low light? Also, a dumb question, looking through the glass leaves the inside looking distorted, yet in photos of others walstad bowls this doesn't seem to occur, is this just from the bowl I have or does this always happen?

Any advice about walstad methods appreciated!

Blueskies

duckweed is a great plant if you want a plant that never stops growing.

Florence

I just added some duckweed. My 55 is overrun with the stuff.

Fahn

Duckweed or salvinia will definitely help out. Unfortunately magnification and distortion will always occur with round tanks and bowls, perhaps less so with acrylic than glass, though.

Fahn

I would like to add that you need to add many, many more stem plants to that setup. Pearlweed, different types of hygrophila, anything. Dwarf sag and vals will work very well, too. Currently, your bowl is a nutrient bomb without enough plant mass to keep it under control. If you don't REALLY fill it out, you're looking at an algae-ridden nightmare or something that you can't keep livestock in due to high levels of waste products from the soil.

Florence

Fahn said:
I would like to add that you need to add many, many more stem plants to that setup. Pearlweed, different types of hygrophila, anything. Dwarf sag and vals will work very well, too. Currently, your bowl is a nutrient bomb without enough plant mass to keep it under control. If you don't REALLY fill it out, you're looking at an algae-ridden nightmare or something that you can't keep livestock in due to high levels of waste products from the soil.
I plan on adding more wisteria and I can take some vals out of my other tank to add to it. Can I also use amazon swords in this set up?

Fahn

Florence said:
I plan on adding more wisteria and I can take some vals out of my other tank to add to it. Can I also use amazon swords in this set up?
I'd go with a smaller variety of sword, personally, as an Amazon could potentially take up the entire space if allowed. I'm partial to red melon swords myself.

WinterSoldier.

You could add some vals, or perhaps a crypt

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom