3 Gallon Nano

Zachsnanotanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of cycling this seapora 3 gallon what do y'all think? Any ideas on stocking, plants, and decor?
20190905_160313.jpg

newbettagus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I, the almost-rank beginner, am going to jump in here anyway.

It's a cute tank. But it would be a bit hard to clean with fish in it (experience talking.) And most people on this forum would say it's not big enough for healthy, adult fish; the only ones small enough are schooling fish which will need 5 of their own kind to feel safe.

Personally I'd rather see a betta in there than in a lot of places I've seen bettas, but as I said, I tried a tank about this size and found it unpleasant to the point of risky to clean (the fish was always right there, almost trying to get sucked into the siphon). And since there's doubt about its being big enough, I'd go for larger because I want to go on the side of caution with my pets.

As an emergency tank or a safe place for baby fish I think most everybody would approve of it.

Salem

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It looks super cute so far! I love the mix of substrate and the difference in height. Out of curiousity what sand is that? It looks so beautiful.

As far as advice goes I think the plants could maybe be arranged differently. Perhaps a bit less clumped together? I think the big red plant would look nice in the back corner and I would maybe put one of the big leafy green ones half way down the little hill. That may help them grow a bit better at first to. I think some floating plants would look good too- my personal favourite is salvinia. I also think some cardamine would look really cool along the sides, maybe on the border between substrates.
I think if you could find a nice piece of driftwood it might look really nice sort of across the back or on an angle in the filter corner. Might be hard to find a cool piece of wood that small though. I also think some botanicals like alder cones and almond leaves would look nice just scattered around. Perhaps a small terracotta pot on its side and half pushed into the substrate in the middle left to make a little hide?

I think some cherry shrimp and a snail or two would look right at home. Perhaps some fun coloured ones like blue? The red ones would likely contrast the best though. If you wanted a fish though my first thought is a betta- I'm not sure of any other that can be kept in a 3g and be comfortable. Though you would likely need a lid for them as they are known to jump.

Zachsnanotanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
I, the almost-rank beginner, am going to jump in here anyway.

It's a cute tank. But it would be a bit hard to clean with fish in it (experience talking.) And most people on this forum would say it's not big enough for healthy, adult fish; the only ones small enough are schooling fish which will need 5 of their own kind to feel safe.

Personally I'd rather see a betta in there than in a lot of places I've seen bettas, but as I said, I tried a tank about this size and found it unpleasant to the point of risky to clean (the fish was always right there, almost trying to get sucked into the siphon). And since there's doubt about its being big enough, I'd go for larger because I want to go on the side of caution with my pets.

As an emergency tank or a safe place for baby fish I think most everybody would approve of it.
I have intentions on putting a small group of chili rasbora's as they only grow to be a little over half an inch a group of 5 maybe the boi load would be manageable and I plan to add more plants to make it feel more spacish

It looks super cute so far! I love the mix of substrate and the difference in height. Out of curiousity what sand is that? It looks so beautiful.

As far as advice goes I think the plants could maybe be arranged differently. Perhaps a bit less clumped together? I think the big red plant would look nice in the back corner and I would maybe put one of the big leafy green ones half way down the little hill. That may help them grow a bit better at first to. I think some floating plants would look good too- my personal favourite is salvinia. I also think some cardamine would look really cool along the sides, maybe on the border between substrates.
I think if you could find a nice piece of driftwood it might look really nice sort of across the back or on an angle in the filter corner. Might be hard to find a cool piece of wood that small though. I also think some botanicals like alder cones and almond leaves would look nice just scattered around. Perhaps a small terracotta pot on its side and half pushed into the substrate in the middle left to make a little hide?

I think some cherry shrimp and a snail or two would look right at home. Perhaps some fun coloured ones like blue? The red ones would likely contrast the best though. If you wanted a fish though my first thought is a betta- I'm not sure of any other that can be kept in a 3g and be comfortable. Though you would likely need a lid for them as they are known to jump.
That sand is nothing more then rinsed out play sand I got from Lowe's 50lb for 4$ I plan on changing up the plants I just wanted to start up the tank in the cycling process in the end I plan to have this set up with lots of Anubis and swords, I want to make this a black water tank with some chili Rasbora bc they are quite small and like black water. Thank you for all your ideas I'll be posting more photos of this tank as I add to it

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So cute!!!! I’m a beginner fishkeeper and have 3 tanks: 1 20gal and 2 10gals. I’ve went thru a lot of stocking options and I’ve fallen in love with fancy male guppies honestly. I already loved bettas and own 2, but it surprised me how cute and lovely guppies are, always swimming around. If I had this tank, I would have 1 betta and some snails, or 3 fancy male guppies! Guppies only get to 1.5”, and as far as I’ve heard they’re not exactly schooling fish so you could be comfortable going as low as 3 with them, they still need friends . Here are some pics of my babies, maybe to see if you’d like them!
IMG_2385.JPG
IMG_2162.JPG

Cognac82

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As a previous poster said about water changes I always found a bowl to be helpful in water changes. I just use a largish bowl and dip out enough water to change and then replace. Many people also use just the siphon tubing so as to not suck up the fish. Either way works. I just like using a bowl as it seems to go faster, even if it isn't really. Cute tank!

Zachsnanotanks

Valued Member
Reaction score
So cute!!!! I’m a beginner fishkeeper and have 3 tanks: 1 20gal and 2 10gals. I’ve went thru a lot of stocking options and I’ve fallen in love with fancy male guppies honestly. I already loved bettas and own 2, but it surprised me how cute and lovely guppies are, always swimming around. If I had this tank, I would have 1 betta and some snails, or 3 fancy male guppies! Guppies only get to 1.5”, and as far as I’ve heard they’re not exactly schooling fish so you could be comfortable going as low as 3 with them, they still need friends . Here are some pics of my babies, maybe to see if you’d like them! View attachment 585706View attachment 585707
I feel that guppies would feel crowded id likely be fine with endler guppy's but the fancys would likly be problematic although I'd consider putting a female betta in there bc they are typically smaller, thank you for your input!

PascalKrypt

Well Known Member
Reaction score
As a previous poster said about water changes I always found a bowl to be helpful in water changes. I just use a largish bowl and dip out enough water to change and then replace. Many people also use just the siphon tubing so as to not suck up the fish. Either way works. I just like using a bowl as it seems to go faster, even if it isn't really. Cute tank!
This is the way to go with water changes in small tanks for me as well. I use quarter-gallon transparent containers. Really recommend using something transparent, that way the fish doesn't freak out when a large objects enters their tank from above. (Actually a good tip for if you ever need to remove the fish, works better than using a net and causes less stress too)

hannah662parker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I feel that guppies would feel crowded id likely be fine with endler guppy's but the fancys would likly be problematic although I'd consider putting a female betta in there bc they are typically smaller, thank you for your input!
Now that you say that you’re probably right because of how much they swim around. A female betta would be stunning, I have a bright blue crowntail!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom