3 Gallon Low Maintenance setup Beta + Apple + Malaysian Trumpet Snail

doctorman

Hey Guys,

I have a tiny 3 Gallon cube
one Beta fish and one tiny little orange fish I am not sure what it is.
some gravel at the bottom ,
I have an okay filtration and good LED lighting
I bought some plants on ebay and got got a 1.5" Apple snail and whole lot of Malaysian Trumpet Snail maybe 40 that I am keeping in another tank till I figure out what to do .. so that is why I am here.

the Apple snail is fascinating and so HUGE

My Goal: make the setup low maintenance as in less water changes needed, less often having too much nitrogen products in the water and less often have to clean the tank.
I want as much plant as I can in my tank so I have Oxygen production and Nitrogen clean up from them
I wanted the snails to clean up any algae build up , I would rather not see the little snails. maybe a 3-5 on the glass but I don't want see more than that..

So..

Gravel + 2 little fish + 1 big apple snail + Plants

Should I add the Malaysian Trumpet Snail and how many?
will I be kicking myself for snail over load in 6 months?

--

Do pet stores buy back the extra Malaysian Trumpet Snail I have or will have?

I know trumpets eat everything even poop, but do they poop themselves? is the added bio load worth it?

Sorry if I am all over with this.. it is past midnight, this is my first post and my last aquarium experience was over 15 years ago.

THANK YOU

lucky strike 21

Hey Guys,

I have a tiny 3 Gallon cube
one Beta fish and one tiny little orange fish I am not sure what it is.
some gravel at the bottom ,
I have an okay filtration and good LED lighting
I bought some plants on ebay and got got a 1.5" Apple snail and whole lot of Malaysian Trumpet Snail maybe 40 that I am keeping in another tank till I figure out what to do .. so that is why I am here.

the Apple snail is fascinating and so HUGE

My Goal: make the setup low maintenance as in less water changes needed, less often having too much nitrogen products in the water and less often have to clean the tank.
I want as much plant as I can in my tank so I have Oxygen production and Nitrogen clean up from them
I wanted the snails to clean up any algae build up , I would rather not see the little snails. maybe a 3-5 on the glass but I don't want see more than that..

So..

Gravel + 2 little fish + 1 big apple snail + Plants

Should I add the Malaysian Trumpet Snail and how many?
will I be kicking myself for snail over load in 6 months?

--

Do pet stores buy back the extra Malaysian Trumpet Snail I have or will have?

I know trumpets eat everything even poop, but do they poop themselves? is the added bio load worth it?

Sorry if I am all over with this.. it is past midnight, this is my first post and my last aquarium experience was over 15 years ago.

THANK YOU
welcome to fishlore

how long has the tank been set up?
is the tank cycled?

junebug

I would put one MTS in the tank, maybe two, that way the population will only grow to the size the tank permits.

Neither MTS or Mystery snails will eat algae (your apple snail is probably a mystery snail). If you want an algae eater you want a nerite snail.

Firstly, in order to reduce the need for water changes, in a tank that small, you're going to have to plant every inch of the substrate. I would also suggest putting the tiny orange fish in its own tank. You need to find out what it is and put it in an appropriate home. It's almost certainly a schooling fish if it's full grown, and will need a bigger tank and a school.

doctorman

the tank is 3-4 weeks oldI have been doing 30-50% water changes regularly

doctorman

so what are MTS and apple snails good for?

doctorman

I would put one MTS in the tank, maybe two, that way the population will only grow to the size the tank permits.

Neither MTS or Mystery snails will eat algae (your apple snail is probably a mystery snail). If you want an algae eater you want a nerite snail.

Firstly, in order to reduce the need for water changes, in a tank that small, you're going to have to plant every inch of the substrate. I would also suggest putting the tiny orange fish in its own tank. You need to find out what it is and put it in an appropriate home. It's almost certainly a schooling fish if it's full grown, and will need a bigger tank and a school.

My apple snail is for sure an apple snail.. huge snorkel it is 2.5 inch almost . Any how it started to eat my plants so I kicked him out of the tank..

as for a 3 gallon a good cleaning job I would need 1 or 2 nerite snail?
any special species of them?

I decided that I do not like the Trumpet snails ..
I have so many of them like 50 or 60..
Any ideas on where I can sell it to? any pet store would buy them.. even store credit
also I want to sell the apple snail

junebug

mystery snails are a type of apple snail. I have three, one of which is well over 2" diameter.

1 nerite (as far as I know they're all the same sp.) would probably do fine in your tank.

Petstores won't buy MTS, but you might be able to sell them/give them away here on Fishlore or an aquatic sales site.

doctorman

any good website for selling snails?

is there a part of this site for selling and buying?

mystery snails are a type of apple snail. I have three, one of which is well over 2" diameter.

1 nerite (as far as I know they're all the same sp.) would probably do fine in your tank.

Petstores won't buy MTS, but you might be able to sell them/give them away here on Fishlore or an aquatic sales site.

doctorman

found the part on this site but I am too new to sell there ..

clownxfishx

I wouldn't put an apple snail in a 3 gallon tank. They have a large bioload and you will have to clean the tank more often. I would just put the betta in it, and remove the 'little orange fish.' can you get a picture of the orange fish?

doctorman

I wouldn't put an apple snail in a 3 gallon tank. They have a large bioload and you will have to clean the tank more often. I would just put the betta in it, and remove the 'little orange fish.' can you get a picture of the orange fish?

I found someone to adopt the apple snail.. for a nice 50gallon

the orange fish is a female sword fish I believe

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Wouldratherwatchaquarium
  • Snails
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Miss