3 Gallon Cylinder ideas?

Stowers74

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My girlfriends mom recently gave me an old 3 Gallon Cylinder tank. What can I do with it? They had a feeder goldfish in it that lived forever, but I personally think 3 gallons is way too small. I am for sure going to try to aquascape and plant it. I was thinking of just putting a few shrimp in it, but would that still be too small? What else could I do with it??

JoelTRG

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Stowers74 said:
That's what I'm leaning more towards. I haven't had very much luck with shrimp in the past though
well this could be your second chance lol

OP
Stowers74

Stowers74

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My problem with shrimp is that they just kinda come up missing lol. I usually stick with ghost shrimp. (~30 cents at petco) because my lfs charges a fortune ($6+ per shrimp) for rcs. Also, I personally prefer keeping my bettas in a minimum of 5.5 gallons. I have one in a 5.5 and another in a 10. My mom has a betta that my sister didn't care for at all (she kinda rescued it, sorta) that stays in a one gallon heated tank. I tried to get her to let me put him in the 3 gallon, but she wouldn't let me because "she likes the tank he's in now"...

Flowingfins

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you don't feel comfortable with a betta in that tank, do a ghost shrimp tank. You can also get RCS on eBay and aquabid.

Sarcasm Included

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Look up walstad vases under google to give you ideas. Put a couple inches of soil, cap it with 1" of sand(I used flourite I had laying around). Plant a sword and a couple marimso balls, java moss, or any of a dozen fast growing plants. Let the sword grow out of the top if you want, it looks good, but the leaves die off and regrow. Since it is winter it is hard to mineralize the soil but you can just leave set it up and wait till the ammonia goes to zero. Add your shrimp at any point after that. I would order shrimp online, EricV sells frequently on this forum and aquabid always has some. I got my red rilI from aquabid and rcs from Eric.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with you Stowers74, a 3 gallon is way too small for a goldfish. I'd suggest either a betta-only tank, a RCS tank, or a ghost shrimp tank. Of course, you can always look at all these shrimp:planet Inverts and decide whether you want to try them or not.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Stowers74 said:
I really like the blue tiger shrimp, but they are pretty expensive. I how many shrimp would work in a 3 gallon?
I'd get 10 to start, then let them breed. (if these are cherry shrimp) They will breed until the tank is full, then they seem to control their population.

New Fish in Town

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Stowers74 said:
I've thought about that too. I have a golden apple snail in my 10 gallon betta tank that is pretty cool. I also really like assassin snails, but I've heard they aren't exactly friendly lll
Wouldn't they take over a tank anyway since they are asexual? Don't you have to kill off the eggs? I could see that being a down side too. The shrimp might be a better choice.

New Fish in Town

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Stowers74 said:
Which ones? Assassin or golden apple? I've had my apple snail for about 7 months and I've never even seen an egg lol.
I read the mystery snails you can buy at petsmart will do that.

OP
Stowers74

Stowers74

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got mine at an lfs. They still had it labeled as a mystery snail, but no babies or eggs so far

What color substrate would show shrimp best? Black I'm assuming?

Attachments

New Threads