3 gallon Betta tank!

1. 10gallonmadness Well Known Member Member

Good news. My dad said that maybe tomorrow I could pick up one of those 3 gallon tanks at Wal-Mart for my Betta. It has a Tetra whisper filter, a hood, and a light. I will pick up a heater at my LFS too. Trying to find 100% pure ammonia bottle so I can cycle fishless, but it looks like I have to go with the shrimp option. Now I can take the Betta out of my 10 gallon so he can have his own tank.

2. pepetj Well Known Member Member

Congratulations.

Keep in mind that when we talk about pure ammonia, we don't mean 100% ammonia (99.9% ammonia is available through permits for lab use) but ammonia solution (likely 95% distilled water and 5% ammonia) without surfactants. Just shake the bottle vigorously, if bubbles form as if shaking a drinking water bottle it's probably safe. If not, try another brand.

Way to go fishless cycling for your Betta!

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

3. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello 10g's. Hope you're doing well. Have you thought about "seeding" the new tank with bio media from your established tank? It's the route I would choose and I'd add the fish at the same time, while keeping an eye on my water chemistry readings. It's like an instant cycle. Don't remove so much media from the established tank that it throws it into a mini cycle. Some gravel from the established tank, placed in "never seen soap" nylon hose will also help to seed the new tank. There is always the risk that it doesn't cycle immediately and may take a few days so be prepared for water changes if necessary.
    Option #4
    Four Methods of Fish Less Cycling

Keep us posted!
    Ken

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Yay, a new Betta tank. Ken's idea is good, seeding from your established 10g should be a pretty quick cycle.
    Good luck!

5. 10gallonmadness Well Known Member Member

Yea, I forgot about seeding. I'm currently waiting for a heater though. The only ones at my LFS are the glass Tetra ones. They are getting a shipment of better ones on Wendesday. Also on the cycling I alawys wait a few days even when it's seeded just to make sure.

6. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I always add fish immediately. Without a source of ammonia, the bacteria will begin to starve. You could feed it with fish food, ammonia, etc. if you want, but a betta isn't a big strain on a tank in terms of bioload so IMO it would be fine.

7. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

If you seed it, don't forget to add a pinch of fish food once a day until you get your betta; otherwise the bacteria will starve. :) Congrats!!

8. 10gallonmadness Well Known Member Member

I didn't seed the tank yet. I'm waiting for the heater before I do anything.

9. 10gallonmadness Well Known Member Member

Here's what I plan to stock:
    1 Betta
    2 Ghost shrimp
    (Maybe some Java Moss)

Does that sound good? Even if it's a little overstocked I'll keep up with the WC's. I have a Tetra Whisper 10i.

10. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

You're fine :) not overstocked at all. usually with shrimp its like 8 per gallon... but dont get that many with the betta , he could snack on them

11. 10gallonmadness Well Known Member Member

My Betta is very peaceful. A little to peaceful. He won't even go after the little plant eating hitch hiker snails when I want him too :;laughing.

12. 10gallonmadness Well Known Member Member

So here it is. It's not beautifully aquascaped but basically my first time solo for a tank that small I think it turned out alright, it's 3 gallons if anyone was wondering. My LFS had received a bogus shipment of 15 watt heaters, they were either cracked or smashed (even the plastic ones). But they will be getting a free shipment on Wednesday to make up for the lost stock. So that lengthens the wait to stock the tank once again. Matt (An employee at East Coast Aquatics) said he would make up for the week we spent waiting though ;). Well anyway here's the pictures.

Picture 009.jpg

Picture 011.jpg

Picture 010.jpg

Picture 013.jpg

Picture 012.jpg

13. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello 10g's. Your new tanks looks "great"! Thanks for sharing the photos.
    Ken

14. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

15. 10gallonmadness Well Known Member Member

Aww thanks guys!

16. lorabell Well Known Member Member

He's gonna LOVE it!!!!!!

17. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

Just a suggestion :)

I have the same filter in one of my betta tanks. I used to have a male betta in that tank and the filter chewed off his tail. use some kind of mesh and a rubberband to shield the filter intake to avoid that problem unless you've already done so. also, if the outflow level can be changed, lower it so you don't have your betta and shrimp getting tossed around. Awesome little tank, he'll love it!

18. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Beautiful!!!! Love the look on this tank :) never seen anything like it before LOL

Does it have a Lid?

19. 10gallonmadness Well Known Member Member

Yep, nuttin special just a plastic top with punchouts and a feeding hole.

20. 10gallonmadness Well Known Member Member

What kind of mesh do you think I should use? Also the flow can't be changed but I know a DIY flow adjuster if needed.