3 gal shrimp tank

1. mrgoogls Member Member

what should i put in my 3 gal. i will also say that it is a "tube". it is ABOUT 16in tall and the circle is ABOUT 8-12 in across. it will have fake plants and maybe some little deco. i have yellow medium gravel. can i use that or buy new stuff. if buy new then what? what kinds of filter? do i need heat?

and of course, what shrimp and how many??

2. Daac Well Known Member Member

I like a natural look personally so I would get some natural pea gravel and do a walstad tank with some tall plants like vallis or onion and maybe hornwort or cabomba. Take into account it will be impossible to clean due to its shape, height, and shrimp which are very delicate so you will want a good cleanup crew and a self sustaining tank (walstad). I have yellow shrimp and they are great but RCS, snowball shrimp, CRS, blue pearl shrimp, tiger shrimp, and any others are great too. For a heater and filter: If you have a strong enough light, it may keep the tank warm itself... I have a 2 gallon shrimp tank and the light on it keeps it a 75 degrees so I don't add a heater. If you need a heater get a small one that you could hide in plants or somewhere. Petco should have some small ones. For a filter, I love the Deco Art Red Sea Nano Filter. Probably the best one out there... adjustable control and really good for moving lots of water if necessary. For decoration ideas you could always look at people's photos of their own shrimp tanks in the gallery button thing.

Edit: Oh yeah... how many?... I would get like 10 to 20 to start and then they will breed until they reach a population limit and they will just keep themselves going after that. That is what happened in my tank. Also I just saw you don't know what the nitrogen cycle is... definitely read up on that as much as possible it is very important for keeping fish/shrimp. Just click on the blue link on nitrogen cycle and read that article... very helpful.

3. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree that type of tank is VERY hard to manage to keep clean.

Substrate can really be anything of your choosing. The darker colors will help bring out the colors more in the shrimp.

Personally what I would do is to get some nice naja grass and let that float around the bottom for the shrimp, I would put in some cork screw Val in the center of the tank and allow the tank to sit open so that all sides are visible. You can also run any air lines down thru the val to hide them. I would also think with a tank that small if you need a heater one of those pad style heaters that is preset could easily be hidden under the gravel and the cord run up with the air line thru the plant. Or you could put a larger tube down the center to run the lines thru and then plant a few val's around it to help hide it.

For the stocking I think a good 10-20 would get you going nicely, and as for a cleanup a nerite snail could actually do wonders for a tank like that.

4. mrgoogls Member Member

thanks guys. i acually do know about the nitrogen cycle. i didnt when i came to fishlore and because i dont have my tank yet i havent switched it. i will now.