Experience
3 years
i read 2 gallon per female

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree with ppate. I'd stick with only one in a 10 gallon. They can be incredibly aggressive (especially if they aren't brood mates), and 10 gallon just isn't a lot of swimming space for more than one fish of their size.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had 3 in a 10 gal when I first started keeping bettas. It was heavily decorated, and I had no aggression problems. They were not brood mates either.

BUT, that was just my experience the ONE time I had females. If you do try it you should make sure that you have somewhere to put them if it doesn't work out.

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Kupcake said:
If you do try it you should make sure that you have somewhere to put them if it doesn't work out.
+1 I've heard more bad stories about sororities than good, so I don't think I would try it.

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd just like to add, usually when people have sororities they have them in a pretty big tank (think 55 gallon) and have more than 3 so that there is less than chance of one fish being picked on. 3 in a 10 gallon is tempting fate way too much. I still wouldn't do it in a big tank myself, the thought of coming home to fish having torn each other up and killed one another is rather unsettling.

Depending on the footprint, I think you could divide it in 3 and have 1 female in each compartment. there's a sticky somewhere about DIY tank dividers that are insanely cheap to make.

EDIT: dividing in 2 would probably be better, just thinking about it now. I've seen some pretty active female bettas around, and 5 gallon would be a good amount. Or just have a single little queen in her 10 gallon palace

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I used to have a divided 10 gal for male bettas, it can cost anywhere from $3-$10 to make the dividers depending on what materials you can find. Its totally easy to do.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree, you can have 2 if the tank is divided!

Or have just the one to rule the tank as Rhan says!!

Kristyn

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Before I upgraded to my 30 gallon, I kept 3 females in a 5 gallon tank but they were all kept together at Petsmart so they were used to being in a community. There was some aggression in the beginning because they had to establish their pecking order but after a week it settled down. I wouldn't recommend buying individual females because they tend to be just as aggressive as males being that they have been separated from other fish their entire lives. Currently in my larger tank there still is some fin nipping but my females seem pretty happy and they don't appear to be stressed. I think a 10 gallon could work but be prepared to re-home in case they are too aggressive.

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nothing to add, as everything was said above my many .. But stil wanna repeat... When coming to bettas, be itr male or female, remember 1thing, they are aggressive.. and about the soroties, as said by Charlamagne, most of us hear more of bad stories than good.... and it all depends on the bettas personalities..
So, finally, its better to have them divided and enjoy their territories....

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads