3 female bettas

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FishTankNewbie, Jul 21, 2015.

1. FishTankNewbie

FishTankNewbie New Member Member

This is strictly a hypothetical question, so please don't murder me. I understand their are many different opinions on stocking, and I would like to here some of them. So in a 10 gallon would you be able to do this?
    3 female Betta splendens (Siamese fighting fish) + 6 small corydoras (Corydoras pygmaeus or C. hastatus) + 2 bridgesii snails
    in my opinion I don't think the bettas would work and it's over stocked but it still sounds like and awesome combination if it is viable.
    Thank you in advance for the replies.

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

3 bettas will not work in a 10 gallon unless you want a bloodbath. They're not community fish and even worse is they are aggressive with their own species. The minimum tank size I would suggest for 6 cories is 20 gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Cories won't work in a ten gallon, and if you're trying to do a betta sorority, I think you need at least either six or eight, I can't remember for sure now. For that setup, I'd try to go with a 30g just to be safe.

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore! :)
    Your profile says that you don't know about the nitrogen cycle. This link should help https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm
    As stated above, 3 Bettas would not work in a 10 gallon tank. Although you can keep a single betta in the 10 gallon very happily. The cories you mentioned would be better in a 20 gallon I believe. Since you're still new to fish keeping (I believe) I wouldn't recommend doing a sorority. Doing a sorority tank are for more experienced and who know Bettas a bit more. It's a lot of work to put into sorority tanks. Hope you enjoy the forum :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice