3 different SAE species! Which one is the true one?

RizJuku

New to the forum but definitely not to the hobby. Had SAEs before (they ate BBA) but recently acquired a few for my hopelessly algae-infested tank. Seems like I ended up with 3 different but very closely related Crossocheilus species. See if you agree with me and perhaps somebody can tell me the exact species names.
Btw I live in Indonesia. Greetings all.

Fish A
I got Fish A from an online vendor. Immediately I'm suspect because of the red dorsal, the bulkier body, and the snub nose. It spends it's time roaming in mid-water and is the least "zippy" out of the three.

image0 (22).jpeg

Fish B & C
I actually got Fish B and Fish C from the same tank from my LFS. However, upon coming home, I noticed differences in morphology and behaviour.
Fish B looks like VERY much like a SAE, but it lacks visible barbels, and the dorsal fin and tail has faint red hue, although not nearly as strong as Fish A. It's the most "zippy" of the three.
Fish C is the one I'm sure to be a true SAE. Barbels are visible, and it immediately showed the classic leaf grazing behaviour upon placing into the tank. It's still small so the black line running through the middle of the tail is still faint.

image1 (13).jpeg

image2 (4).jpeg

A couple of sucky pictures with all three fish together. So what do you think guys? Thanks for any input.

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

Rye3434

I personally doubt that A and B are in the crossochelius genus, I just looked through a decent amount of crossochelius and none of them resemble those two fish. They remind me more of the denison's barb above them or perhaps even some sort of leporinus

Flyfisha

Hi RizJuku welcome to fishlore.

C is the one I use . However B is often mixed in with what is sold by a few different names in Australia depending on which chain store you shop at. Perhaps your shops receive fish from the same suppliers?

Sorry I can’t help you with the correct names.

RizJuku

I personally doubt that A and B are in the crossochelius genus, I just looked through a decent amount of crossochelius and none of them resemble those two fish. They remind me more of the denison's barb above them or perhaps even some sort of leporinus
Yes I was just assuming they're in the same genus. I'll have a look at Leporinus and Sahyadria to see if I can match them to a species.
Hi RizJuku welcome to fishlore.

C is the one I use . However B is often mixed in with what is sold by a few different names in Australia depending on which chain store you shop at. Perhaps your shops receive fish from the same suppliers?

Sorry I can’t help you with the correct names.
I'm in Indonesia, so that chances of having the same supplier is pretty slim. Do you know if B also eats algae?

86 ssinit

Never seen it with the red fin. But that does look closest! But may be a barb. B and C look like flying foxes.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
Joshaeus
  • armadillo
  • Molly
Replies
Views
Lucy