5 Gallon Tank 3 different heaters and still no heat

CL0UDYCUTI3

I just upgraded my 3gal tank to a 5gal but i’m having trouble having consistent and adequate water temp for my betta. I’ve been through 3 50W heaters (fluval and aqueon both submersibles) and all of them keep the water temp around 74 degrees F. Will it be ok if I put a 75W heater in my 5gal? I’ve heard of stories of fishies crisping themselves against certain heaters and I’m scared of it happening to my betta. I’ve also never heard of anybody putting a 75W in a 5gal before.

Cherryshrimp420

That's odd...have you tried adjusting the temperature on the heater?

Cody

Definitely sounds odd. In most cases a 50w will do fine heating even a 10gallon unless your in a really cool room. It may just be a inaccurate temperature dial. This is something I found to be off no matter what brand you’re using.

CL0UDYCUTI3

That's odd...have you tried adjusting the temperature on the heater?
I agree, I have it on the highest setting right now (88degrees). I even let it sit for 24 hours in the tank without adjustment like the instructions suggested :/

Cody

I agree, I have it on the highest setting right now (88degrees). I even let it sit for 24 hours in the tank without adjustment like the instructions suggested :/
The only other common denominator here would be power. Is there a chance where ever this is plugged into is not actually powering the heater?

I know the fluval heaters have a light that comes on while heating. Or if you remove the heater from the water it should be noticeably hot in your hand(do this briefly)

CL0UDYCUTI3

Definitely sounds odd. In most cases a 50w will do fine heating even a 10gallon unless your in a really cool room. It may just be a inaccurate temperature dial. This is something I found to be off no matter what brand you’re using.
Yeah, I’ve read about the dial not being accurate on a lot of reviews before, but I have adjusted it to the highest setting (88degrees) and the temp is still 74 degrees :/ I’m gonna get a temp on my room tonight, im starting to think that’s what‘s causing this.
The only other common denominator here would be power. Is there a chance where ever this is plugged into is not actually powering the heater?

I know the fluval heaters have a light that comes on while heating. Or if you remove the heater from the water it should be noticeably hot in your hand(do this briefly)
Yeah my boyfriend suggested that to me. I had it plugged into a power strip last for the past few days and switched to a wall plug in this morning, but even then the temp stayed 74 degrees. I haven’t touched the heater with my hands yet, but there is a red light indicator on it as well. I’ll try that tonight!

Cherryshrimp420

What are you using to check the temperature? Maybe the thermometer is broken

Cody

If that light is illuminated than it definitely should be heating.

CL0UDYCUTI3

What are you using to check the temperature? Maybe the thermometer is broken
I’m using a the imagitarium stainless steel thermometer, i dont think it’s broken but i have seen a few reviews of it being inaccurate before.

Yeoy

I'd be very wary of setting a heater to 88 degrees, especially in such a small tank. All it needs to do is heat the temperature to the max for like an hour and it would seriously harm or kill your fish. How are you reading the temperature? A submersed thermometer? Where in the tank is it?

CL0UDYCUTI3

I'd be very wary of setting a heater to 88 degrees, especially in such a small tank. All it needs to do is heat the temperature to the max for like an hour and it would seriously harm or kill your fish. How are you reading the temperature? A submersed thermometer? Where in the tank is it?
Yeah I understand your concern, i don’t have any fish in this tank right now because of the temperature situation. Unfortunately my previous betta had just passed a while ago due to unrelated problems and now I’m trying to set up this new tank for a new betta fish. Im using the imagitarium stainless steel thermometer and i have it hanging in the water near my filter.
You must be registered to see images

Cherryshrimp420

Maybe the room is very cold?

Lucy

A couple of thoughts and then you can disregard this since I may not know what I'm talking about.
Heaters will only heat to X degrees above the ambient temperature (which goes along with what cherryshrimp is asking)

It should say this on the packaging.

Search calibrate heater on the forum. You might need to do this. Doubtful though since you're talking about 3 of them not working.

FishDin

Also try another thermometer.

CL0UDYCUTI3

Maybe the room is very cold?
yeah im pretty sure thats what it is, i took a temp last night and its sitting at 56 degrees F
A couple of thoughts and then you can disregard this since I may not know what I'm talking about.
Heaters will only heat to X degrees above the ambient temperature (which goes along with what cherryshrimp is asking)

It should say this on the packaging.

Search calibrate heater on the forum. You might need to do this. Doubtful though since you're talking about 3 of them not working.
Thank you for your advice!! My room is around 56 degrees F so I will definitely take a look at that!!

Cherryshrimp420

yeah im pretty sure thats what it is, i took a temp last night and its sitting at 56 degrees F

Thank you for your advice!! My room is around 56 degrees F so I will definitely take a look at that!!

Okay yes that's very cold, your heater will be struggling a lot at that room temperature.

Having an aquarium hood and covering the sides and back with foam board will help a lot with heating efficiency

CL0UDYCUTI3

Okay yes that's very cold, your heater will be struggling a lot at that room temperature.

Having an aquarium hood and covering the sides and back with foam board will help a lot with heating efficiency
okay thank you so much !! I’m definitely gonna try that

Lucy

Sounds like that may be it. Do you still have the packaging or instructions. It should have some sort of graph, Googling the instructions should give you that info as well.

Now I'm going to ask what evreyone really wants to know
Why is your your 56F? brrr! lol

CL0UDYCUTI3

Sounds like that may be it. Do you still have the packaging or instructions. It should have some sort of graph, Googling the instructions should give you that info as well.

Now I'm going to ask what evreyone really wants to know
Why is your your 56F? brrr! lol
LOL !! I like sleeping with a lot of blankets and i hate getting over heated. But tbh im not sure if my thermometer is even accurate cuz it doesn’t seem that cold irl. I was kind of shocked when i saw that temp as well lol. I think i’m gonna have to buy a new and better thermometer before I do anything else

GlennO

With that room temperature a 75w (or even 2 x 50w) heater may not be overkill.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Blueberrybetta
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Prism
  • UnknownGuppyLover
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question