3 Dalmation Mollies (2 female, 1 male) 10 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Livebearers' started by HOWsMom, Mar 15, 2010.

1. HOWsMom

HOWsMomWell Known MemberMember

On the advice of a seemingly knowledgable employee at our LFS, we purchased 3 "dalmation" mollies on Saturday. 2 females, 1 male.

Also several ghost shrimp (paid for 5, found 7 or 8, now can find 3).

Also - today - spotted 1 baby. But it's already a good centimeter long.

It can't just have been born overnight could it ?

I don't think the 10g tank can handle too many more fish though - so, do we let them breed and take the fry in for credit (our LFS does do this, and it's not a problem to me to do this), or take the male back for a 3rd female, or ... ?? I'm open to suggestions.

ETA : My son just found a 2nd baby about the same size as the first.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

congrats on the new babies!!
    even if you return and get all females , they can store sperm for weeks if they have been near a male.......so id do the return for credit thing and get all your food for free :)

were the shrimp in the same tank as your mollies? they could have scooped up some babies without knowing ......

3. OP
    OP
    HOWsMom

Nope, the shrimp were in their own tank at the store. They are in the tank with the mollies now.

I'm actually a little afraid that I flushed a baby or few this morning when I did a water change, as we hadn't noticed the babies yet then.

4. OP
    OP
    HOWsMom

Aye Carumba ! We're up to at least 5 babies counted now.

5. OP
    OP
    HOWsMom

But down one adult female this morning :(

Checked water params too :

Ammonia <0.25 (not quite the perfectly clear yellow of the real 0, but no green either, just a bit dark).

Nitrite 0.25

Nitrate 10

pH between 7.2 and 7.6

Poor "Pepper" is in the fridge - if I can scare up my receipt, I'll take her back to Big Al's today.