3 Corys seem skittish or is it normal? (Video link)

FrogLegged

Hi all,
I did a 30% WC yesterday and after that and adding 10 cherry shrimp, my Corys started becoming quite active. Is this normal or does it look like they are stressed? They have been doing this pretty much all the time with the exception of sleep at night, just back and forth together. All the water parameters are great. Feeding daily. There are 3 of them, as well, all in the video.

Here's a link to the video I just took to show you:

AggressiveAquatics

Are they new? Corys should be kept ideally in groups of 6 minimum. So maybe they are scared?

pagoda

Two things come to mind...water changes thus a lowering of water temp generally kicks off their breeding behaviour and you should really have more than three as they are very community orientated, preferably 6 or more

FrogLegged

Yes, relatively new, I am going to get 3 more today but wanted to rule out anything else.

mattgirl

If we are talking about a 10 gallon tank you may want to rethink adding more corys. Adding more is doable but if your aquarium details are up to date and you also have platys in this tank along with the shrimp you just added I would be hesitant in recommending you add more corys.

As for their activity level. I am sure they are enjoying the fresh clean water and it is the reason they have gotten more active. My corys actually get right under the stream of water as I refill my tank.

IzabelB

I agree with the post above - my corys also get more active after a water change.
They could also be playing with the current from your filter. When I had a HOB filter they loved to swim right under the current and that side of the tank was their favorite. It was quite fun to watch.

FrogLegged

No platys but there are 10 cherry shrimp and 4 Amano, aqadvisor says 3 more Corys would be just over 100% so idk, I won’t add any unless necessary, I suppose.

mattgirl

FrogLegged said:
No platys but there are 10 cherry shrimp and 4 Amano, aqadvisor says 3 more Corys would be just over 100% so idk, I won’t add any unless necessary, I suppose.
Since there are just the shrimp and corys adding one or two more should be doable. You really don't have to have 6 to have happy corys. In my humble opinion that is just a number that has been repeated so often the number 6 has just stuck. 4 or 5 should be alright. Be sure though, if you get more get the same kind. It is best not to mix and match species of cory.

Latest threads

Top Bottom