55 Gallon Tank 3 bubblers

inari

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a good air pump to run two lit air stone strips and a normal air stone. I have a Tetra 100 gallon, but my volume of bubbles on one of the outlets for air seems to be lacking. I have a controller and splitter on one line and the other one has a straight line to the controller, then right into the air stone. Both have backflow restrictors on them. I'm at a loss here thinking maybe some water got into my lines. Should I remove my two problem air stones and try to clear the lines? then reinstall them into the tank? I got no ideas here. The bubbles are completely different. I had to order from two different vendors to get what I wanted. I also seem to have two different diameters of tubing. Could that be the problem one is getting more air because of the diameter of the tubing?

Thanks guys!

BigManAquatics

Try a gang valve instead of the splitter. That's how i solved that problem.

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

like BETTA'sAnnoymous said, gang valve should help even it out. Air will always take the easiest route out. so if one tube is larger diameter or less clogged, air will go that way instead of an even split over both. Depth of the outputs if different will also impact the air flow, the deeper it is the harder it is for air to come out. You could also look at an air pump that comes by default with multiple outlets but probably unnecessary for running 3 bubblers.

Upvote 0

inari

Try a gang valve instead of the splitter. That's how i solved that problem.

How do they differ from a splitter? It looks like it should do the same thing

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

How do they differ from a splitter? It looks like it should do the same thing
Not 100% sure, as i wondered that as well, but it worked like a charm

Upvote 0

inari

like BETTA'sAnnoymous said, gang valve should help even it out. Air will always take the easiest route out. so if one tube is larger diameter or less clogged, air will go that way instead of an even split over both. Depth of the outputs if different will also impact the air flow, the deeper it is the harder it is for air to come out. You could also look at an air pump that comes by default with multiple outlets but probably unnecessary for running 3 bubblers.

So the gang valve sounds like it would even out the air distribution. I have two outlets (which is nice) but that splitter seems to be causing an issue. Looks like I get to run more line -_- So annoying to do behind my 55 gallon hahah

I'm wondering if I go and replace the line with the same type would the fix the issue as well?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

So the gang valve sounds like it would even out the air distribution. I have two outlets (which is nice) but that splitter seems to be causing an issue. Looks like I get to run more line -_- So annoying to do behind my 55 gallon hahah

I'm wondering if I go and replace the line with the same type would the fix the issue as well?
I did that, but when i did it i replaced all the line when i added the gang valve, so can't speak to the success.

Upvote 0

inari

I did that, but when i did it i replaced all the line when i added the gang valve, so can't speak to the success.

I got 25 feet of line (just in case I need to replace some line) I might just go through and replace my lines first. Wit 25 feet I think I might have enough haha

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I got 25 feet of line (just in case I need to replace some line) I might just go through and replace my lines first. Wit 25 feet I think I might have enough haha
Thats what i always think too, right until i leave to get another 25 feet of line....

Upvote 0

inari

Thats what i always think too, right until i leave to get another 25 feet of line....

at 7 bucks a pack I think I can swing that

Upvote 0

SotaAquatics

gang valves should have little valves on each output, so like a splitter, except you can control the outflow of each output. so if you dont have enough air going to one, you can restrict airflow on the other where too much is going out.

Upvote 0

inari

gang valves should have little valves on each output, so like a splitter, except you can control the outflow of each output. so if you dont have enough air going to one, you can restrict airflow on the other where too much is going out.

Thank you! I might get a gang valve anyway, but for the next day or so I am going to let it run to see if that clears it up any. The other one I think I had to run it for a bit before it got going the way it is now....if neither of those work I guess I'm returning it.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MonteCarlo
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies