3 Angels Given Away

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well ... I gave away 3 of my babies today :'( They went to my neighbor's medical office. They have a 55 gallon tank there that, from what I gather, is not overstocked. It has 1 angel and some smaller fish in there, from what the neighbor told me, but he was unable to name them. He said they have 2 filters in that tank and that the fish are healthy there (never got any sick fish there), and that they do perform water changes. Since they already have 1 angel in there and it is fine, that means the other fish don't bother it. I decided it would be safe to give my angels to them. After all, better a medical office, than a dirty and uncaring fish store. I decided to give them 3 angels so that there will be a total of 4 angels. Besides, they wanted more than one and 6 would be too much for a 55 gallon tank, so I gave them 3 that will make a total of 4 with the 1 angel they already have.

One way or another, I HAD TO give them away - that's a fact. I only hope they'll have a good life there, really. Anyway, my neighbor will be updating me about how they're doing. I told him exactly how to acclimatize my angels and he said he'd follow the steps. So I hope all will be well. Though I really will miss them :'(

Now my neighbor is thinking about getting a 10 gallon tank for his kids and he'd like maybe 2 of my angels there. But I'll try to make him buy at least a 20 gallon tank (or if I could make him buy a 30 gallon!) if my angels are to be in there. 10 gallon is too small for a pair of angels - I'll make sure he understands that. So if he buys a 20-30 gallon tank and will take 2 more of my angels, I'll be left with 6 baby angels (have 8 right now) - the way I wanted it. I won't have to give any angels away to any fish store. If he took my angels I'd make sure they are fine - after all, that's right next to my house. Of course, I'd make him cycle the tank, and I'd tell him exactly what to get and how to set it up, lol. If he wants my angels, he better do as I say!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh, Isabella, you do sound like a mommy sending her babies off to school for the first time. LOL I know it is so hard to raise the little ones (human or fish) to go out into the world without us. At least this way though, you will know where they are as opposed to letting some old fish store sell them and then forever be wondering. I do hope you can get your neighbor to take the pair. I wonder if he will give you visitation rights?? Hm..... They are such beautiful babies and you have been such a lovely mommy, all you can do is know that they are very healthy and you have given them the very best start on their life that anyone could.

Now please do smile, I cannot bear the thought of you being sad.

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Thank you Rose - you're too kind, as always. Yes, I do know they had a good life while with me (though their home was getting way too small for them). As for the visitation rights to my neighbor's house (you meant his house, right?) ... I won't even ask for them! If my babies are going in there, he better be prepared for my presence every day - and I seriously mean it, lol. I'll seriously be there every day until the cycle is done and until the angels are safely acclimatized and doing well. I have to make sure they start off well. But ... he didn't get the tank yet, lol. He'll probably get it in about a month as he's leaving for a vacation soon.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes ... well, like I said, couldn't have kept them anyway. They'll have a better life in a 55 gallon tank than they would have in a 30 gallon tank full of angles and with no space to move around. It's obvious.  13 adult angels (2 parents + 11 matured babies) would be too many even for a 75 gallon tank.

skippi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am glad that you found homes foryour fish. I would be the same way with my fish. They are like part of your family. It sounds like they will do well..

Heidi

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I got some news from the medical office: the fish have acclimatized well and are doing well

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes ... the weight has been taken off my shoulders, lol. The transfer and acclimatization are always very risky with fish (change of environment, new tankmates, new water parameters, etc ...) and that's why I was so worried (well, and I'll always miss them, of course). But thankfully, they have adapted well and the worst is probably over (or let us hope it is).

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Carol, I certainly WILL go and visit them - my neighbor said he'll take me, since its a medial office where he works I don't want to go just yet as I know they haven't yet reached their maximum size. In a few months they should be fully grown (or at least almost fully grown). By the same token ... the 8 remaining angels are NOT getting any smaller! They're also getting some pretty strong personalities now! Not sure if my neighbor will get that 20 - 30 gallon tank after all ... Perhaps I'll still have to give them away to a fish store ... :-\ My water changes regime is getting really tiresome (I don't have a Python gravel vac but a plain siphon tube - so you can imagine yourself ... 50% H20 changes twice a week).

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yep I get the idea about the water changes. I have 2 bristlenose fry tanks,1 albino cory fry tank that have to have 50% water changes daily. They have to be siphoned into a bucket to make sure I don't siphon any fry down the hose and into the yard
Carol.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've given away 2 of my angels today (left with 6 now). They went to my dad's friend's 30 gallon tank that already has some small/young angels there. Generally, that's too many angels as for a 30 gallon tank, but the man will be getting a 100 gallon tank around Christmas-time, where he'll put all of the angels I hope they'll make it. Have, of course, instructed the man on how to acclimatize the fish.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My dad's friend had finally bought a 110 gallon tank I've mentioned before. I will give him 4 of my young angels in a month (when his tank is cycled). The good news is that it is an Angelfish-only tank (no other fish). He'll have a total of about 10 angels (including mine) in his 110 tank (or maybe more, I'll have to ask him again). I told him to put a lot of live or fake plants in there to provide lots of hiding spots, and he did that Do you think 10 angels are too many for a 110 gallon tank? I personally think it's OK, as long as he has lots of hiding spots. Anyway ... I am so glad I haven't given them away to any pet shop long ago. They would have died probably. Yes, my 30 gallon tank is way too overcrowded, but it's just for now - they're going to have a 110 gallon home now I couldn't ask for a better home Besides, I perform almost 100% weekly water changes now in my 30 gallon tank, so that they have no nitrate while they're still here. I'll be left with 2 of my young angels for the 30 gallon tank, and 2 of my old pair for the 75 gallon tank. Perhaps I'll just put all of the 4 angels in the 75 gallon tank - I'll see Plus ... I don't want to say anything yet because this is probably not going to happen ... but now I'm thinking of a 90 gallon tank, instead of a 75 gallon. But once again, the reason I don't want too large a tank for now is that I will be moving in a few years and anything beyond 75 gallons will be very hard to move. So, I'll see. OK, that's enough of my "blah-blah" for now. Just wanted to update those who are interested in the fate of my beloved baby angels (I love them so much!)

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thats absolutley wonderful!!! I think they will be fine. They won't know what to do with all that room
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I went to my dad's friend this weekend, with my entire testing equipment (lol), to check his water parameters. The tank is cycled and well. His ammonia = 0, nitrite = 0, and nitrate is about 5. His pH is the same as the pH of my tank. He performs large weekly water changes (in a 110 gallon tank). He already has about 4 Angels in the tank. He said his water has been stable like this for a while now. So, I think my fishies are ready to go. I will give him 2 or 4 Angels this week. I can't decide on how many to keep ... help me! I love them all so much!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I really don't want my 75 gallon to be overstocked. I want it to be moderately stocked. And the 30 gallon tank can't have more than 2 Angelfish. So I am giving away 4 Angels, leaving myself only 2 of the batch that I have raised. I mean, they're going to a 110 gallon tank, of which the parameters and stocking level I have checked myself. The tank has fake plants but he wants to get live low-light plants. He already got the driftwood. So, I am hoping for the best.

The 75 gallon will have my old Angelfish pair. The 30 gallon will have the 2 Angels that I'm keeping. Maybe I'll transfer them to the 75 gallon with time. I'll see. I think it's best to have only 2 Angels per one tank, especially if they're a mated pair.

Anyway ... tomorrow's the day! I'll miss them so much :'( They're all so beautiful!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom