3 Amano Shrimp Gone Without A Trace...

EbiAqua
2 gallon tank, running CO2 with active substrate. Carpeted with Monte Carlo so very densely planted, have not tested parameters in a while but I used established media, and the only resident has been a small horned nerite snail. No food has been going in and it has remained stable and clean.

Look, I know a lot of you are going to want my parameters, but I feel it isn't necessary in this case. There is no reason there should even be detectable nitrates in this tank and the pH is quite low as I am using remineralized distilled water. And, to be frank, I don't want to test the water. This isn't my first rodeo.

Anyway, over the course of a month I have tried adding a single Amano shrimp to this tank. Each time drip acclimated, each time the shrimp is gone within 24 hours. The last one I added has disappeared within half an hour. No signs of escape. No shrimp anywhere to be found, no wet spots, nothing. I am stumped.

Why would they be escaping when they are being so carefully acclimated? Due to the aquascape actually coming out of the water a lid is not an option.

Fanatic
Well, the only logical explanation is that they are either hiding very well, or they certainly have escaped from the lidless tank.
Amano sheimp, and other shrimp, are very good jumpers.

Blaze
I've had crayfish escape my lidded tank by climbing up cords from the heaters

EbiAqua
Well, the only logical explanation is that they are either hiding very well, or they certainly have escaped from the lidless tank.
Amano sheimp, and other shrimp, are very good jumpers.

You think it's the CO2? The drop checker remains bluish as I didn't want to add too much at once to newer stock. I can certainly attest to their escape abilities, but just trying to figure out why they're so quick to jump ship.

Fanatic
You think it's the CO2? The drop checker remains bluish as I didn't want to add too much at once to newer stock. I can certainly attest to their escape abilities, but just trying to figure out why they're so quick to jump ship.

I have no idea, never dealt with C02 and shrimp.
They are very good at jumping, so depending on how easy your scape makes it for them to escape, they must be finding the quick way out.

EbiAqua
I have no idea, never dealt with C02 and shrimp.
They are very good at jumping, so depending on how easy your scape makes it for them to escape, they must be finding the quick way out.

It's strange though, all my tanks are topless and I have only had a couple of instances of shrimp escaping. This has been 3 for 3 within 24 hours of introduction.

I've kept Amanos with CO2 before with no issue, they are usually hardy little buggers.

Blaze
It's strange though, all my tanks are topless and I have only had a couple of instances of shrimp escaping. This has been 3 for 3 within 24 hours of introduction.

I've kept Amanos with CO2 before with no issue, they are usually hardy little buggers.
Do you have a heater in the tank?

EbiAqua
Do you have a heater in the tank?

Nope, temp stays room temp. The tank is being set up for crystal reds so I want it to stay in the low to mid 70s.

Filtration is a Mignon 60 full of Aquaclear Biomax.

Substrate is Controsoil.

skar
I keep amono shrimp.
I am wondering if the mineral content and neutral water may not agree with them ?

Is there algae growth for them to eat ?

EbiAqua
I keep amono shrimp.
I am wondering if the mineral content and neutral water may not agree with them ?

Is there algae growth for them to eat ?

KH is really close to 0, but I have seen several breeders keep Amano with Taiwan bee and other caridina. They should be able to handle the really soft, acidic water; they are caridina as well, afterall.

As far as algae there is a dusting of soft, powdery green algae on the hardscape and glass as well as biofilm buildup. My nerite is eating well, just wanted an algae eater that would focus more on the scape than the glass.

XYZ1234
You may want to purchase a lid. If you don’t want too spend too much, use plastic or something else. Then try adding a couple of shrimp and see if results differ.

Rtessy
From keeping amanos, they can survive down to 60 so the heater likely isn't an issue, but they are incredible hiders. The first time I got one, I saw it for three days, then I didn't see it for nearly a month. I added two more, and for another month I thought one had died. Adding more actually makes them easier to spot since they do hang out in groups. Trust me, they're probably hidden. And to make matters worse, they like to switch which spot they hide in every two weeks or so.

EbiAqua
You may want to purchase a lid. If you don’t want too spend too much, use plastic or something else. Then try adding a couple of shrimp and see if results differ.

Unfortunately the rock work sticks out beyond the tank's rim, so no lid will work unless I custom make one.

Rtessy it has been well over a month since adding the first, the other two were added within 24 hours of each other. The scape uses dragon stone so lots of nooks and crannies but I have poked and prodded everywhere in that tank and nothing.

Rtessy
Unfortunately the rock work sticks out beyond the tank's rim, so no lid will work unless I custom make one.

Rtessy it has been well over a month since adding the first, the other two were added within 24 hours of each other. The scape uses dragon stone so lots of nooks and crannies but I have poked and prodded everywhere in that tank and nothing.
It takes shrimp bodies 1-2 weeks to fully decompose, and I feel you would have been able to find the bodies. Then again, I don't really know. I suppose there could have been some little hole or something they died in, but in such a small tank you would have at least noticed the smell, I assume

EbiAqua
It takes shrimp bodies 1-2 weeks to fully decompose, and I feel you would have been able to find the bodies. Then again, I don't really know. I suppose there could have been some little hole or something they died in, but in such a small tank you would have at least noticed the smell, I assume

The bigger one showed up, have no idea how a nearly 2" Amano hid from me. I'm assuming the smaller one is also alive and well.

Rtessy
The bigger one showed up, have no idea how a nearly 2" Amano hid from me. I'm assuming the smaller one is also alive and well.
Yay!
Yeah I even did tank maintenece and moved all two decorations, lol, and still couldn't find them. It's crazy, they just don't like to be seen. They do come out at night though, quite a lot.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
svb3290
Replies
Views
AquaNewbie2017
  • Poll
Replies
Views
-Mak-