3.5 Gallon Tank

Foster

Reaction score
So we have a 3.5 gal that I just got done with and my dad has decided that he wants it. He's dead set on that size and also isn't too excited about a betta. Is there anything we can put in there that will have a good life and be interesting?

Foster

Reaction score
He's interested in the shrimp, how many could we put in, and I don't really know how aquascaping would work out

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe a couple Endlers? I wouldn't recommend it, though... I'm trying to think pretty hard actually.

Foster

Reaction score
I know, I tried to get him to at least bump up to a 5 but it's at his shop so he's worried about the space

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
least killifish

Shrimp tanks are fascinating though! Also there are many types of bettas of different colors , I suggest you show him the kinds out there. Look at Aquabid and you will see many magnificent bettas!

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If he does a lot of water changes and keeps track of it pretty well, maybe 3-4 male guppies? Most will disagree with me, but I've only ever kept nano tanks before I got my 20, I've had to get creative before.

Quiche

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
In that tank, you may be able to fit around 20 shrimps to be on the safe side? Fishlore suggests 5-10 shrimps per gallon on the RCS page.

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not a conventional stocker, haha. I'd give most of the people on here nightmares if they heard some of my ideas. My current set up is probably the closest I've ever been to a "good" stock by their standards. Understocked, actually. Still waiting for my Bolivian Ram to come to the LFS.

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If he does a lot of water changes and keeps track of it pretty well, maybe 3-4 male guppies? Most will disagree with me, but I've only ever kept nano tanks before I got my 20, I've had to get creative before.
I'm not a conventional stocker, haha. I'd give most of the people on here nightmares if they heard some of my ideas. My current set up is probably the closest I've ever been to a "good" stock by their standards. Understocked, actually. Still waiting for my Bolivian Ram to come to the LFS.
Yep, just want to say, guppies won't work

Foster

Reaction score
Okay, so we're gonna do 10 shrimp or however many we can get around that. The tank set up is my job so if anyone could point me to a care sheet or something that would be awesome

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Okay, so we're gonna do 10 shrimp or however many we can get around that. The tank set up is my job so if anyone could point me to a care sheet or something that would be awesome
Great choice ! Do you know what type? It is also best to have live plants, primarily moss with shrimps! The moss provides areas for small micro-organism, algae, and left over food for the shrimp to graze on.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hear you Matt. lol (I'd definitely be doing endlers if I wasn't doing a betta. It would be kinda hard to see three of them in there. Mine crack me up)

Foster

Reaction score
Not yet, I've gotta check out the local aquarium shop to see what they've got. What types of live plants exactly? I have a marimo ball but that's all I've really been able to find for algae, are there other alternatives?

MattS99

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I hear you Matt. lol (I'd definitely be doing endlers if I wasn't doing a betta. It would be kinda hard to see three of them in there. Mine crack me up)
You gotta get creative with stocking when you're a kid and your parents only let you have 2.5, 5, 8 gallon tanks

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom