3.5 gallon breeding ideas

1. Angelfish2guppy Member Member

I'm setting up a rack made up of 4 10 gallon tanks to breed some endlers, white clouds and other fish. There is some space under the tanks and between the floor. Roughly 10 inches. So I thought I could set some 15qt ,3.5 gallons of I'm correct, up and try to breed something in them. I could hear them and they would have a sponge filter. I was wondering if there were any fish, shrimp, or snails I could breed. ( I can and will heat, but I was also looking for some cooler water fish)

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Bladder snails for sure! Handy if you've got a pufferfish;)

Red cherry shrimp will probably breed in cool water as well, only slower than if the water isn't heated.

3. Angelfish2guppy Member Member

Ok, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't bladder snails pond snails. I'll still breed them anyways but probably is somethings smaller. I was an actual 3.5 gallon planted tanks then I plan on putting a pea puffer in.

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Both common names have been applied to the same group of snail species. The genus is Physa.

What is your intended market or destination of what you breed?

5. Angelfish2guppy Member Member

Mostly just myself and my lfs

6. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Do you know what they want? Is there any specific food source for your own fish that you'd like to raise?

7. Angelfish2guppy Member Member

Food source as in what I'm feeding them?

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah! Like if you have puffers you'll want to raise bladder snails or if you have some kind of fish that eats shrimp you'd breed those instead:)

9. Angelfish2guppy Member Member

Oh ok

I was just planing on feeding mostly frozen brine shrimp and blackworms. And flake food to the guppies will giving them some of the frozen stuff as well

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What about trying to propagate moss balls? The 35g's are round right? You can set up a filter to create circular flow around the tank to keep the moss balls rolling while they grow.

11. Angelfish2guppy Member Member

Oh that's a good idea. Would I use like a circulation pump maybe?

12. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

You could but can you get a circulation pump small enough? I think just a very small internal filter would be enough.

13. Angelfish2guppy Member Member

Good point. I have a loud API hob that has a very strong flow that I can't put it a tank with fish because I throws everything around it should work

But how long would I take to grow in size

14. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

They're very slow growers unfortunately and I'm not sure of all the details on growing them to saleable size. But if you could line up your 3.5 gallon tanks under the shelf and attach a 4 foot fluorescent fixture above them with some sort of horizontal flow it may work!

I don't think your HOB will work for this purpose, you don't want your baby mossies thrown around, just rolled gently;)

15. Angelfish2guppy Member Member

It could

16. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Shrimps go well with moss balls, too. If you flow isn't too high they may be able to survive. If not, look for a stream-type fish that will fit in a 3.5 that would appreciate the flowing and oxygenated water;)

17. Angelfish2guppy Member Member

Ok I'll look into rhat